Foreign tourist killed, scores injured in boat crash near famous floating market

Jonathan Fairfield

Why are so many people sick in the head. A woman dies and others injured. What speed was the boat going. Tourism industry is finished etc. I agree with BrewsterBudgen post. Our sincere condolencies to the loss of life and injured. From the thaivisa bloggers that have hearts.

I think the word you are looking for is ''Immune''....

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a great trio there, guy that did the boat was good,took us round the temples in the dat,fireflys at night

Dropped us of at the market after

Daytime trip cost 500bht for 6 off us night 600bht 8 of us, no extra passengers just a few friends. Was great

Don't these boats have navigation lights. Do the operators know the rules of who gives way and to which side?

Huh ? navigation lightsblink.png if they did they probably wouldn't work.

I was just saying to somebody earlier today how many cars and motorbikes I'm noticing now are going around with defective front and rear lights. some have no lights whatsoever. But does anybody care?rolleyes.gif

Is the Hungarian womans relatives gonna get 300,000B bloodmoney like in the Terrorist Bombing ... ?

Not safe here, stay away ............

RIP

Not safe here, stay away....typical anti-thai idiotic statement on TV.

With all the regulation in the world there has been boat crashes and deaths on Sydney Harbour. Millions visit floating market and fireflies... suddenly an accident and it's stay away

With alm

When we come to live in hell-we cannot always expect to have a good time.Many people believe in hell and heaven as I DO MYSELF BUT IF these are our only two choices then obviously we are already in hell and we should try researching how to get out of here-not complaining about the dangers.Beside birth death old age and diseases we still have all these other dangers to contend with with no guarantees that we will live to die of old age.Why are we surprised.

When we come to live in hell-we cannot always expect to have a good time.Many people believe in hell and heaven as I DO MYSELF BUT IF these are our only two choices then obviously we are already in hell and we should try researching how to get out of here-not complaining about the dangers.Beside birth death old age and diseases we still have all these other dangers to contend with with no guarantees that we will live to die of old age.Why are we surprised.

Erm....say what?

Erm....say what?

Just nod and buy the guy a beer.

Just how long have you been enduring this purgatory?

Is there any relief in sight for you or are you a lost cause?

Don't come to Thailand, it is not safe here!!! - check

They don't follow the rule of law - check

Carnage on the roads and the rivers - check

It will ruin tourism - check

TV super sleuths have already worked out what happened - check

It can only happen in Thailand - check

I've been here XX years and it never changes - check

I love playing Thaivisa bingo :)

Well looks like more good news for the tourism sector here.

Average tourist who is coming to Thailand will probably never hear of it, hardly a major disaster that's going to hit the world headlines is it ?

All you guys that predict the death of Thailand's tourism industry with every event that happens in Thailand, how many of you that live here are going to leave, how many of you that do not live here but come to Thailand for vacation, will stop coming because of a boat accident ?

Thought so....

I am employed by a large multinational organization. It has directives/policy on meetings and health and safety requirements. Singapore, Hong Kong, South Korea, Taiwan and some large districts of China meet the requirements. Thailand does not meet the requirements.

Thailand is a destination for low end conferences and sales events. It has not, and can not attract the high spending, high end financial institution, scientific, or high value leisure market. There is a reason why the high end conferences and conventions are in countries like Singapore and not Thailand. The facilities, the infrastructure, the security just isn't good enough

Thailand is the place for Chinese, Arab, Australian and Indian junkets. These visitors don't know the difference, don't care about safety and don't mind sleeping in pesticide contaminated rooms or swimming in sewage run off or transacting with jet ski & taxi thugs etc. The market for high profit, high quality tourism ignored Thailand long ago.

No navigation lights, no training, by all accounts speeding, just a couple of drivers (certainly not captains) bored with carting tourists back and forth day after day being careless.

Another recipe for disaster.

For a country that prides itself on tourist numbers they really dont give a stuff about their safety while they are here.

How fast was the reversing boat going ?

regards worgeordie

Why on earth do you need to know?

Do you want to know in knots, mph or kph?

Pretty important question. People like you might scoff at accidents like this and say that they were driving recklessly. Most people assume that accidents need to be high speed to actually result in death. In fact, the reality is you don't need to be travelling very fast at all for a fatal accident to happen. Someone only needs to hit their head against a hard surface or just to fall overboard and can't swim.

If people knew the speed at which some of these accidents can occur, then they will definitely change their attitude to safety.

Edited by Time Traveller

regards worgeordie

Wouldn't matter much how fast the boat was going if she was hit in the head by the propeller on the end of that long shaft. Have you seen them back those boats? The propellers are swung about. They need room to maneuver. Neither new story says exactly what happened, and I'm only speculating that it was the propeller.

Average tourist who is coming to Thailand will probably never hear of it, hardly a major disaster that's going to hit the world headlines is it ?

All you guys that predict the death of Thailand's tourism industry with every event that happens in Thailand, how many of you that live here are going to leave, how many of you that do not live here but come to Thailand for vacation, will stop coming because of a boat accident ?

Thought so....

let us know when its your family member

Thought so....

I am employed by a large multinational organization. It has directives/policy on meetings and health and safety requirements. Singapore, Hong Kong, South Korea, Taiwan and some large districts of China meet the requirements. Thailand does not meet the requirements.

Thailand is a destination for low end conferences and sales events. It has not, and can not attract the high spending, high end financial institution, scientific, or high value leisure market. There is a reason why the high end conferences and conventions are in countries like Singapore and not Thailand. The facilities, the infrastructure, the security just isn't good enough

Thailand is the place for Chinese, Arab, Australian and Indian junkets. These visitors don't know the difference, don't care about safety and don't mind sleeping in pesticide contaminated rooms or swimming in sewage run off or transacting with jet ski & taxi thugs etc. The market for high profit, high quality tourism ignored Thailand long ago.

Nonsense. BS.

I used to work as a Senior Executive for Multinational Companies.

Go check this out:

http://www.businesseventsthailand.com/

regards worgeordie

Why on earth do you need to know?

Do you want to know in knots, mph or kph?

Probably doesn't matter if it was a long-tail.....the propeller will do the damage!!

I think W was just playing on the old joke about a cop in the old US south who approached a white guy that had rear ended a car driven by a black guy and asked: "How fast was that boy backing up when he hit you mister". This was a popular joke among many of the black guys in the army in the 1960's when they discussed an accident. This was also on a party record which I think was by Brother Dave Gardner. For you younger guys, party records were normally 78 RPM vinyl records that contained jokes/skits which were often considered lewd at that time. Redd Foxx, Rusty Warren and Dave Gardner were some of the popular artists in the US.

ROFL the only sad thing about this joke that it's probably true. The black guy had to be blamed in an accident with a white regardless if he was in front or at the back.

Thought so....

let us know when its your family member

If a member of my family was killed in an accident I would leave the country, is that what you mean ?

If it is, then you of course are wrong, accidents happen in all countries, if accidents to family members caused the remaining family members to emigrate the whole world would be in a bit of a mess, be good for the airline business though.

I know this is ThaiVisa and it appears that many of the members here enjoy events that give them the opportunity to bash Thailand and Thai people, yet oddly enough, they choose to remain in the very country they appear to dislike, very strange indeed. blink.png

It won't influence the Millions of tourists who choose to come to Thailand each year, just as tragic events don't stop me living here by choice and has no influence on others that came here by choice, and choose to remain here.

I'm going out on a limb here and assume that most of the Thai Bashers also choose to stay in Thailand and are not here under duress, so even with the constant Thai Bashing it can't be that bad in Thailand really, else you wouldn't wait for a family member to have a boat accident, you'd be out of here already.

Enjoy your stay. smile.png

Try to remember that Thailand is a developing nation and has developing nation problems, it was also a developing nation when you chose to come here, if you were unaware of that, then you really didn't do your research, maybe you come from a 3rd world country and Thailand was a better choice than your own country, I don't know, but you really need to plan better, you're obviously very frustrated in Thailand ( Judging by your posts), chillax a bit and make plans for your next big move, but this time do some homework.

Edited by Broken Record