Remove Sandwash / Install Tiles

GiantFan

Need a recommendation for contractor. Got a quote for 60k THB for 36 sqm balcony and I supplied the tiles. Too high.

Might sound like a stupid question but does it need to be bone dry to install tiles? Want to do this in a few weeks time and it's still a bit rainy in Phuket.

You might want to have your current quote broken down into one price for the demolition and carting away of the current sandwash, and the installation of the new tile. For laying tile - nobody should be charging over 300 baht/m2 including materials, which would be just under 11k baht for your balcony. Even HomePro doesn't charge over 300 baht/m2 for installation.

You might be able to find some general laborers who will do the sandwash demolition on the cheap, since it doesn't require any skill. Just make sure that the price they quote includes hauling away the debris instead of just leaving it onsite in sandbags.

Amazing here how you can get "contractors" to come over and throw out a price with no rhyme nor reason. I've heard the following from different groups concerning getting work done on the house. Painting when I supplied the paint, 200,000. Redoing a wall 3 metres high and maybe 15 metres in length, 80,000 baht using 300 baht/day Burmese ( ended up paying 15K total by hiring laborers ourselves). Removing a big tree, 60,000 baht. When I balked, they lowered the price to 30,000.

It seems contractors just throw out a price depending on how the feel and which way the wind is blowing, nothing to do with actual costs and a profit margin built in.

Sorry for the O/T rant.