Singapore should help solve haze issue, not just talk about it, says Jusuf Kalla

Singapore should help solve haze issue, not just talk about it, says Jusuf Kalla

Vice President Jusuf Kalla said that the Indonesian government welcomed any country, including Singapore, that wanted to help extinguish forest and land fires to remove the haze, reported The Jakarta Post.

Kall was quoted by Antara news agency as saying on Sunday in New York: “Go ahead, we are open. Singapore can come and see for themselves if they want to help. Don’t just talk.”

Previously, Singapore expressed frustration with Indonesia regarding the smog that has affected the country.

Kalla said that the Indonesian government had worked hard to eliminate the fires but it was difficult to do in a short time. “The problem is, in addition to the hot weather, the fires in Indonesia are worsened by the wind,” he said.

He mentioned the forest fires in California as an example of a similar incident that was hard to extinguish in a short time.

“We have done all that we can do. Since it has affected other countries, if they want to help, then go ahead,” said Kalla.

Foreign Minister Retno Marsudi said she had communicated with Singapore’s foreign minister to explain the steps that had been taken by the Indonesian government. “Indonesia is very serious about solving the issue and the efforts include law enforcement and education,” she said.

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-09-29

I was working in Malaysia during the 90's and spent time in KL in 1998. In the lead up to the Commonwealth games in September '98 the sun was hidden by the smoke haze for about a month, if not more. There was huge publicity about the dangers to athletes, never mind the local residents. Nothing has been done, either at that time, before (apparently 1997 was even worse) or since.

For the Indonesian VP to say that 'it was difficult to do in a short time' is patently absurd.

Now, if he had indicated that some of the culprits were Malaysian companies as well as owners of local companies that had billions secreted in Singapore banks and that pressure should be exerted on the known culprits by both Malaysia and Singapore, he would be closer to a solution. But he wouldn't would he. Too much money being made by all sides on this issue. Otherwise it would have been resolved well before now.

Really pi##es me off.

Can't, do anything, more like won,t do anything. Unable to manage their own country?

Everyday for about 3 weeks now breathing in their sh#t, kids are suffering and school was closed last week for a day when it was difficult to see more than a couple of hundred metres.

Haven't seem the sky for ages here, just this smelly white sh#t in the air everyday angry.pngangry.pngangry.png

Will take three years to stop! Huh? blink.png

Or, sorry my friends we are going to have to cut back on your profits soon.

DO NOT LIGHT ANY MORE FIRES and it will stop IMMEDIATELY! coffee1.gif

What part does Widoko and his Government not understand?

A dodo, more like. When this guy won, I honestly thought he was perhaps somewhat of a good guy. I guess not. It's just like the 'proverbial' monster - chop the head off, and another one grows in its place. It's the same monster. Just a new head. Nothing changes. Everything same same. Idiots.