You know you have been in Thailand too long.......

AlQaholic

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know you are a typical expat if after all the time (probably too long) you've spent in Thailand you have learned so little that you think that writing down this list of cliches has any value other than confirming one's own prejudices

You know you have been in Thailand too long when you are just downright grumpy.

You know you are a typical expat if after all the time (probably too long) you've spent in Thailand you have learned so little that you think that writing down this list of cliches has any value other than confirming one's own prejudices

And the same endless rant goes round and round.

It's humor, and it is no different than any list of blond jokes or any other kind of joke you aren't allowed to tell in America anymore because of the politically correct crowd.

OF COURSE they are stereotypes... of course they are generalizations... But we all know that we have all experienced these things, or similar, and that means that we can collectively find humor in them.

Maybe you are one of the PC folks that are easily offended, and I do agree that it is possible to cross the line and be offensive in making a joke, but there is nothing on this list like that. It's a benign list of everyday occurrences. There is nothing vulgar in it.

I just don't see what you are blowing your top over.

1 - I'm not "blowing my top"

2 - "PC" isn't an argument

3 - "humour" - It isn't funny

You mean "It isn't funny to you."

And on the basis of the fact that YOU don't think it's funny, apparently no one else is allowed to think it's funny... and by extension, any individual who does think these things are funny isn't allowed to discuss them with others and they are a "bad" person because they are prejudiced against Thais.

Sounds like the definition of PC to me.

Most of us have seen this list dozens of times by now. I remember the first time I saw it, and I laughed my ass off.

And, yes... there was a guy on here then saying it was expat prejudice and Thai bashing... Some things never change.

But I've experienced almost every one of these things, most many times, and I'm sure you have too. I really don't see why we can't recognize those little cultural and social differences with a laugh without it having to be "racism" and "prejudice" and all that shit.

I expect you find clowns, banana skins and all sorts of racist jokes funny too?

It's humor, and it is no different than any list of blond jokes or any other kind of joke you aren't allowed to tell in America anymore because of the politically correct crowd.

OF COURSE they are stereotypes... of course they are generalizations... But we all know that we have all experienced these things, or similar, and that means that we can collectively find humor in them.

Maybe you are one of the PC folks that are easily offended, and I do agree that it is possible to cross the line and be offensive in making a joke, but there is nothing on this list like that. It's a benign list of everyday occurrences. There is nothing vulgar in it.

And on the basis of the fact that YOU don't think it's funny, apparently no one else is allowed to think it's funny... and by extension, any individual who does think these things are funny isn't allowed to discuss them with others and they are a "bad" person because they are prejudiced against Thais.

Most of us have seen this list dozens of times by now. I remember the first time I saw it, and I laughed my ass off.

And, yes... there was a guy on here then saying it was expat prejudice and Thai bashing... Some things never change.

But I've experienced almost every one of these things, most many times, and I'm sure you have too. I really don't see why we can't recognize those little cultural and social differences with a laugh without it having to be "racism" and "prejudice" and all that shit.

So now I'm a bad person because I think clowns and the Three Stooges are funny? Wow... what an unhappy person you must be. And with a well thought out and structured argument like that, you are clearly a master debater.

I expect you find nothing funny... which is why you spend your time on TVF looking for opportunities to be smug, holier than thou, and calling people racist.

I suggest you save your indignation for times when it is warranted. In this case, it isn't. You know that, you are just bored with a keyboard.

Good day to you.

Can't agree with you more. There are too many grumpy people aound.

Cant't agree with you more. Yes, we've seen a lot of these before but they are still amusing. Unfortunately, there are so many grumpy old men here who have lost their sense of humor.

When you answer the girl at the checkout in Tesco in Thai.........then you realise you're in the UK !!

and then she responds in Thai, happened in Cirencester Tesco smile.png

clap2.gif .... Not the one i was saying " kop khun khrap " the day after arriving at hometown... The look on her face was priceless.

You know you have been in Thailand to long when you read a thread on TV entitled "you know you have been in Thailand too long" for the millionth time....

A sign outside a well-known Gaelic pub in Chiang Mai.

Hores racing tonight. 20:00

There's a place in Doi Mai Salong that refers to itself as Guest Horse.

e endless rant goes round and round.

So now I'm a bad person because I think clowns and the Three Stooges are funny? Wow... what an unhappy person you must be. And with a well thought out and structured argument like that, you are clearly a master debater.

I expect you find nothing funny... which is why you spend your time on TVF looking for opportunities to be smug, holier than thou, and calling people racist.

I suggest you save your indignation for times when it is warranted. In this case, it isn't. You know that, you are just bored with a keyboard.

Good day to you.

I'm laughing at you , now......