Bangkok MTA might buy electric buses from local makers

webfact

BMTA might buy electric buses from local makers

BANGKOK, 29 September 2015 (NNT) – Electric buses for the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority (BMTA) might be purchased from Thai bus makers instead of abroad, according to Deputy Minister of Transport Ormsin Chivapruck ( ออมสิน ชีวะพฤกษ์).

Mr. Ormsin revealed on Monday that he expected to receive price quotes for the 200 electric buses within November. The purchase might be made from local vehicle companies, because the domestic automobile firms are able to provide the buses at 10 million baht per vehicle, whereas foreign sellers wanted 15 million baht for each vehicle.

Meanwhile, 489 new NGV-powered buses that will be the first lot delivered under the scheme to buy 3,183 new buses have yet to be delivered as complaints over lack of transparency in procurement decisions are being investigated. Mr. Ormsin indicated that if the probe does not detect irregularities, the first of the 489 buses will be delivered within 50 days. However, any irregularity found would mean the procurement process had to start anew, and two more months will be required.

The deputy transport minister noted that because electric buses will make up a portion of the new buses to be purchased, the BMTA might not be able to buy as many as 3,183 buses – the existing purchase target. In anticipation of such an event, the BMTA was looking to make improvement to its 672 existing buses so they will be ready for service. The maintenance and improvement cost for each of the old buses is expected to be around 1 million baht.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-09-29 footer_n.gif

domestic automobile firms are able to provide the buses at 10 million baht per vehicle, whereas foreign sellers wanted 15 million baht for each vehicle

They can save the money as they do not come with batteries - just a long length of wire they clip on to the nearest electric pole.

The purchase might be made from local vehicle companies, because the domestic automobile firms are able to provide the buses at 10 million baht per vehicle, whereas foreign sellers wanted 15 million baht for each vehicle.

A couple things about above statement. 1) I wonder if the Thai built bus would equal the quality level of a foreign built bus, and 2) I wonder if the higher price for a foreign built bus is really a Thai govt self-inflicted cost from import tax.

The purchase might be made from local vehicle companies, because the domestic automobile firms are able to provide the buses at 10 million baht per vehicle, whereas foreign sellers wanted 15 million baht for each vehicle.

A couple things about above statement. 1) I wonder if the Thai built bus would equal the quality level of a foreign built bus, and 2) I wonder if the higher price for a foreign built bus is really a Thai govt self-inflicted cost from import tax.

All the buses are already made in Thailand. They just mean it won't be a foreign brand made in Thailand, it will be an entirely local company.

Thailand & electrical safety......

Not a viable match on many fronts.

Yeah, yeah, the buses will probably run on DC power instead of AC, but DC power was used in the first ever electric chair.

I've been zapped a hundred times by 24V DC automotive systems. It feels about half as nice as the time I got zapped by 110 Volts AC.

-----------------

I recall less than a year after the Bali Hai pier had been built some local guy got electrocuted by the lighting wires on it.

No shortage of electricity in Thailand. Folks get zapped all the time.

So what they'll really do is look to get the buses at 8 or 9 million a piece and pocket the rest.

If these buy numbers are accurate, then good one them for getting more buses on the streets. A lot more by the looks of it. Hopefully it means less cars. And good on them for going electric/NGV too.

Why not make amphibious buses who are electric? They are cleaning the klongs now so it will be perfect to drive buses through them.

Buses are far too big/slow to drive in the busy traffic.

Not sure if you're joking, but this is in fact a good idea. Either that or build some kind of elevated rail along it. But as it is the boats along the klong are overcrowded, filthy, and overall very dangerous. And there are more and more condos going up along that corridor every day, so it's only going to get worse.

All the buses are already made in Thailand. They just mean it won't be a foreign brand made in Thailand, it will be an entirely local company.

But made to what standards/quality. My Toyota Fortuner was built in Thailand, but it was built under Japanese standards/quality/management at their factory in Thailand.

Buses are far too big/slow to drive in the busy traffic.

Buses already manage quite well in busy traffic, they are not a new phenomenon and they have to be big to accommodate passengers.

Electric Buses !!!!!!!!!!!!! Made in Thailand--------- Do not enter wearing or carrying anything metaliclaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

Edited by biplanebluey

Buses are too slow and too large. If 3 buses are behind eachother then nobody can go inbetween, even motorcycles can't go through. They cut everybody of when a passenger hails them. They can't stop because taxi's or minivans always stand at the busstops, and there are even no busstops.

When they pull up with that massive weight (they do all the time) they use soo much energy which is all a waste. In BKK you have to break/pull up nonstop especially the buses so they better be light and smaller. That's the big succes of the minivans who should be banned if BKK has a good busservice with new buses.

Yes electric is the way to go but under control of a Japanese of Farang. If the Thai do it themselves it will have many problems and unsafe situations i guess.

How many buses have the Thai themselves built or developed, or even fuelled cars/buses? Did they ever join the solar contest races in Australia? Do they know anything about electric vehicles or electricity in general? Have you ever been on a thai boat?

They better build one first and if it drives in BKK for a month without any problems i'll eat my hat.giggle.gifwhistling.gif

Buses are too slow and too large. If 3 buses are behind eachother then nobody can go inbetween, even motorcycles can't go through. They cut everybody of when a passenger hails them.

So you would rather have 90 additional cars on the road instead?

Bike-Car%20comparison.jpg

This is all too confusing.

On May 21, 2015 a pilot program was started to run a rechargeable electric bus developed by King Mongkut's Institute of Technology Ladkrabang and the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority on a route between the university's campus and Airport Link Lat Krabang.

Now BMTA has decided to puchase 200 electric buses from Thai makers at 10 million baht per vehicle, whereas foreign sellers wanted 15 million baht for each vehicle. There is apparently no demo on the domestic electric buses.

Most likely the "foreign sellers" is the only global electric bus manufacturer BYD Motors Inc. of China. Its 5,000 buses have been used worldwide in demo routes for years and evaluated by more than 150 cities in 36 countries around the world. A BYD electric bus also has an option for on-route wireless charging! The US Washington State Department of Transportation just bought up to 800 BYD electric buses and Go-Ahead London purchased 51 buses.

BYD seems the logical choice as a supplier to BMTA given its global operational track record. But why would BMTA instead take bids from unproven local manufacturers who have no demonstrable working electric buses? Is it simple Thai protectionism or something more sinister?

In my time here, I have seen several 'locally' made high-tech products which have been attempts to copy the same thing from foreign countries.

And every single one has been built with the cheapest, lowest quality crap they can get hold of which will hold together long enough to be shipped out the door. The rest of the budget was spent on things like employing family members who never actually turned up for a days work.

Of course this is Thailand so we will cling to the belief that this time it might be different. Learning from mistakes is not a strong point of this culture. Actually, I suppose no mistake was been made : the money was successfully siphoned out of the system and the 'market' for another one in a few years is still there. You can be sure nobody will ever be held to account.

No, It is the bung

Why buy a Toyota when you can buy a Tata...

I thought a lot of the local buses were Thai bodies dropped on German/Japanese chassis?

Tata's always annoy me because they're so slow.

And i noticed the Tata dealer in my area is closed now, why would that be?

I like the idea of electric buses but how long can they drive on a full battery ib BKK traffic with aircon?

And how many hours does it take to recharge one?

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bmta-introduces-electric-bus-on-first-trial-run-in-bangkok-today

The trial bus is 12 meter long with 29 seats and a maximum speed of 70 kilometer per hour. The bus can kneel to lower first-step height to allow access by people on wheelchairs. With full battery, it can operate for 250 kilometer. The battery takes 5 hours to fully charge.