Fellow Brits - Bangkok and Back in a Day?

Stubby

Hi folks.

I've got to drag my butt all the way down to Bangkok soon just to drop off an application form for a new passport. The British consulate up here has closed and they don't allow you to post the forms down to Bangers.

Anyway, I was just wondering if any Brits living up here have done the passport run in the same day? Or is it just a bit too stressful and unpredictable to buy a return ticket for the same day.

And finally a question on passport photos.

When I got my last passport (applied for from CM), I had to go back four times before they would accept the photos. The first ones had the wrong color background. The second batch were not "head and shoulder's" enough. The third batch, she said, were just a bit too small and might get rejected. She took the fourth batch but still wasn't totally happy.

So obviously I want to avoid all that nonsense again. So can anyone recommend a shop in Chiang Mai that has experience in producing passport photos? by that I mean exactly how they should be? Note that the two places above had a sign outside saying passport photos. They still got it wrong though, and I even showed them the guidelines. So that's why I'm asking.

Thanks in advance,

Stubby

Edited by Stubby

A company called Key Visa Pattaya handled my application for THB 5,000 in a very efficient manner. The Boss is called Darren. You can find them on the internet.

Download and complete all necessary forms, send your old passport as well via EMS (they do the photocopying), then sit back and wait for it to be returned by EMS about three weeks later.

Some may think THB 5,000 expensive. I think it's a bargain set against return air fares and the drudgery of wasting a day each way (collection) in Bangkok - a city I have avoided, except to fly through, for more than a decade.

Tell the Mrs you need to be there early, like CM Immigration early, and don't know what time you will finish, so will need to stay a total of two nights.

Or fly down on the first flight and back in the evening. I have been down and back for things in a day numerous times. Its not fun, but very achievable.

I did it the same day about a month ago. Got the Sombat Tours overnight bus to Morchit, then a taxi straight to the passport processing centre at what's called the 'Trendy Office Building' on Sukhumvit Soi 13 for my shortly-after-nine appointment. I took the 2pm bus back up to CM and got back in just after midnight.

New passport was ready for collection 2 weeks later.

It's all a very straightforward and quick process but f you can, fly up and back.

I got my photos at the Kodak place a few doors down from McCormick Hospital who did them exactly as required.

Thanks everyone for your useful replies.

Ref danstarr: You did well, but I think you're right, it might be worth flying as it's a long trip by road, especially if there are monsoons along the way.

Ref naboo: Ha, ha LOL smile.png I used to live in Bkk, and loved it, but the Ole Venice of the East no longer pulls me as it once did, so I don't want to hang about unless i have to.

Ref dru2: I agree, the 5K would be money well spent. Is that for submitting the application forms and returning the new passort? I did read somewhere that these services were no longer allowed to opperate and that the application had to be picked up in person. Ot at least the collection of the new passport did. I will contact them anyway and see what the current situation is, so thanks for the infor wink.png

Stubby

Edited by Stubby

Get your visa photos at the Trendy Building - either on the first (ground) floor - corridor to the left of reception lobby - or upstairs inside VFS itself. 250 baht rather than the 110 to 150 baht you can do it for at a normal Kodak shop, but at least you know it will be OK. Have had the same problem with Kodak shops - has cost me well over 250 baht before they got it right.

Ref dru2: I agree, the 5K would be money well spent. Is that for submitting the application forms and returning the new passort? I did read somewhere that these services were no longer allowed to opperate and that the application had to be picked up in person. Ot at least the collection of the new passport did. I will contact them anyway and see what the current situation is, so thanks for the infor wink.png

It is all inclusive. If you need any documentation translated - eg proof of address as a utility bill in Thai with your name on it - add THB 500.

It is all inclusive. If you need any documentation translated - eg proof of address as a utility bill in Thai with your name on it - add THB 500.

Strange.. I was informed that the passport application for overseas had to be done with a personal visit to bangkok.. no exceptions.

Of course a passport could be illegally applied for in the uk, claiming to be within the uk at the time and posting visa dhl each way.. But then a pattaya visa agent would never skirt the law like this ??

Strange.. I was informed that the passport application for overseas had to be done with a personal visit to bangkok.. no exceptions.

Of course a passport could be illegally applied for in the uk, claiming to be within the uk at the time and posting visa dhl each way.. But then a pattaya visa agent would never skirt the law like this ??

Clearly they have an arrangement with Trendy House.

Edited by dru2

I'm flying down the night before for a 10am appointment on Monday but had it been an hour later I wouldn't have worried about flying there and back in a day. I certainly wouldn't pay somebody 5,000 baht to do it for me when it's only 2,000 or so on the plane and I get a day and night away from Chiang Mai into the bargain too. Also gives me the day to buy stuff in Bangkok that I can't find up here.

re

it's only 2,000 or so on the plane and I get a day and night away from Chiang Mai into the bargain too.

lion air are usually cheaper than that smile.png

and the trendy building is 10 mins from nana plaza

and 10 mins up sukhamvit road to soi cowboy !smile.png

dave2

post-42592-0-40948100-1443673823_thumb.j

post-42592-0-30895900-1443673855_thumb.j

post-42592-0-38280100-1443673885_thumb.j

Get your visa photos at the Trendy Building - either on the first (ground) floor - corridor to the left of reception lobby - or upstairs inside VFS itself. 250 baht rather than the 110 to 150 baht you can do it for at a normal Kodak shop, but at least you know it will be OK. Have had the same problem with Kodak shops - has cost me well over 250 baht before they got it right.

My experience of the Trendy building and photos is the opposite of this. I asked in the VFS office to use their photo booth, and they said no good for passport, better go downstairs. I didn't ask why, as it gets into meaningless dialogue, but I assumed their booths are set for UK visa application photos , not UK passport photos.

Downstairs I tried a photo/visa place, next to a coffee shop called "Coffee Wings", which had passport photos pinned on the wall. I showed them the UK passport photo specifications from the UK gov website, which specifies the head from crown to chin has to measure between 29 and 34 mm -they said we can do it .

However they then took a photo, in a fairly random manner, immediately printed it out and the head was 37mm crown to chin. They were obviously not carrying out any recognisable procedure for sizing the photo correctly.

When I objected they said it doesn't matter, and behaved as if they had never encountered this situation before. Rather grudgingly they took another, at one point showing me the picture on the camera screen, and asking me if it was OK (!)

They printed it out and it turned out to be 33mm, so acceptable. This was an accident - they have no software to adjust the picture to the required dimensions. So you have to be a bit careful about which photoshop you choose. They also charged 250B.

If that were the case then the Place of Issue would not state Bangkok.

Also not sure if it's skirting the law: either a country allows an application on behalf of someone else or they don't. If they do, then no complaining that this planet enjoys a postal service.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Thanks SantiSuk, that's useful to know.

Ref partington: Yes, this is why I want to avoid the photo malarky of last time. They have to be very specific.

Ref dave2: Yes, the cost of flying has come right down thanks to the competitio:)

Stubby

Just out of curisity, has anyone else used Key Visa Pattaya for UK passort service? I have found them and the reviews seem to be mixed, ranging from downright nasty to glowing and complimentary.

Cheers,

Stubby

If that were the case then the Place of Issue would not state Bangkok.

Also not sure if it's skirting the law: either a country allows an application on behalf of someone else or they don't. If they do, then no complaining that this planet enjoys a postal service.

Wonder if it does state bangkok or UK PPA ??

I just had a disaster in the UK this summer.. Went paid for the 'guaranteed 7 days' service.... 2 weeks later spent days getting the run around on the call in system which can tell you nothing about the application, where the passport now physically is or whats going on.. Eventually I got my original passport returned almost 3 weeks later and the day before my flight..

The guaranteed service is not guaranteed..

Your paying for the application process not the issuance of a passport..

The whole system has no way to reach senior staff no way to know if staff have even seen the messages the front line phone operators 'add to the file' day after day.. and they just repeat "you shouldnt book travel until you have your passport" er I flew here on a return ticket to do this !!

Just out of curisity, has anyone else used Key Visa Pattaya for UK passort service? I have found them and the reviews seem to be mixed, ranging from downright nasty to glowing and complimentary.

Cheers,

Stubby

You might ask on the Pattaya forum for specifics on this aspect.

I always got my passport renewed online. Very fast service last time I did it - but that was a few years back. Is this not possible now?

You can apply for, renew or update your passport and pay for it online. You’ll have to print out a form at the end.

You must sign and date the form, add any documents or photographs that are needed, and return it for processing.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-renew-passport

Cheers,

Stubby

You might ask on the Pattaya forum for specifics on this aspect.

Good point, thanks smokei36.

I always got my passport renewed online. Very fast service last time I did it - but that was a few years back. Is this not possible now?

You can apply for, renew or update your passport and pay for it online. You’ll have to print out a form at the end.

You must sign and date the form, add any documents or photographs that are needed, and return it for processing.

I think you might find that only applies to British nationals who are at home uptheos. Otherwise, why would anyone bother to jump on planes, trains and busses all the way down to Bangers just to had over a few sheets of paper? I could be wrong, but I think if the online odering was avaialble from anywhere in the world, then it would be common knowledge, surely.

Stubby,

Edited by Stubby

I think you might find that only applies to British nationals who are at home uptheos. Otherwise, why would they anyone bother to jump on planes, trains and busses all the way down to Bangers just to had over a few sheets of paper? I could be wrong, but I think if the online odering was avaialble from anywhere in the world, then it would be common knowledge, surely.

Stubby,

Yes, it was basically my response to Mousehound and I agree with your statement.

re

it's only 2,000 or so on the plane and I get a day and night away from Chiang Mai into the bargain too.

lion air are usually cheaper than that smile.png

and the trendy building is 10 mins from nana plaza

and 10 mins up sukhamvit road to soi cowboy !smile.png

dave2

I like your nightlife suggestions but I'm going to pass on Lion Air. Unless I'm mixing them up with another airline, they are ranked as one of the five worst airlines in the world for safety and are banned from flying in the EU.

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks,

Just thought I would report back on my new UK passport seeing as I found the services of Key Visa in this thread.

I didn't fancy making two round trip to Bangkok just to drop off and pick up a couple of documents. It's fine for anyone who wants to make a break out of it, of course. But I've lived in Bangers before, and loved it while I was there, but the Thai capital no longer pulls me as it once did. I guess I've seen just about everything I've wanted to see and experience in the big city.

Anyway, back to Key Visa. I contacted Darren, and yes, they still provide the service. It was a painless and totally stress free experience. I sent my documents down to his office as requested, and in less than two weeks the the new passport was back from the UK. Darren's staff picked it up the following day in Bkk and posted up to me here in Chiang Mai via EMS the day after that. That's it. I now have my new 45 page 10 year passport in my hands. The most strenious thing I did was to make a quick trip to the local post office.

Okay, that's all I've got, but just thought I'd share my experience for anyone who might find it useful.

Cheers,

Stubby

Edited by Stubby

Interesting. I thought they were now taking biometric data. I was one of the last to get an older style of passport without the biometrics back in 2008. How old was your last passport Stubby?

Hi antagonist,

My old passport is almost 10 years old (expiry date Jan 2016). The new one is different to the old one. It has more watermarks and a chip embedded. The photo is very flat and pale though, almost like a colour photocopy low on ink. But I think it all sharpens up on the screen once the chip is scanned. There's also room on the back to add the names and addresses of three people as opposed just one in the old passport. Other than that, it's the same colour, size etc.

Stubby

PS - Beside being 10 years older, I also have quite a big beard now, but no need for a counter signatory. I guess when they talk of a "change in appearance" they really do me a "drastic" change that renders you unrecognisable compared to how you were in the previous passport pic.

Edited by Stubby

Anyone know how many empty pages you can have in your PP before applying for a new one ?

There is no limit, at least there never used to be. You can just say you're going to do a fair bit of travelling and want a full book ;)

Stubby

Thanks SantiSuk, that's useful to know.

Ref partington: Yes, this is why I want to avoid the photo malarky of last time. They have to be very specific.

Ref dave2: Yes, the cost of flying has come right down thanks to the competitio:)

Stubby

I pity you Stubscy old chap, really I do, it`s a nightmare.

7 months ago I had to go and renew my British passport. Don`t really want the thing, but the busterds won`t give me a Thai passport, so I`m stuck with it.

I traveled to Bangkok with my girlfriend. We got the first flight out of Chiang Mai, then a taxi from the airport, made Trendy House mid morning, gave in my application, then for a bite to eat, then straight to the airport, home by 7.00pm. But both of us were done in by the time we arrived home.

When my passport arrived at Bangkok, repeated the same process, only this time my girlfriend refused to keep me company, not having got over the first trip. You know, you can send a third party to do the business for you.