A gay marriage proposal in China

isanbirder

Applause! clap2.gif

I heard that there was no homophobia in China until the Christian missionaries came. Just tried to find a link but couldn't. Would you know about this?

I wouldn't know!

There are certainly a lot of gay episodes in Dream of the Red Chamber, and homosexuality was rife in the Imperial Palaces (lots of eunuchs). But that reflects maybe 1 or 2% of the population.

Gay marriage makes a lot of sense for China.

They have a HUGE imbalance of too many males compared to females due to some ugly stuff in their culture which we don't need to go in here.

So the males that are gay ... seems a benefit for China for them to be married.

Doesn't help the straight males though that have almost no chance of ever finding a mate.

It's in the numbers.

Edited by Jingthing

Applause! clap2.gif

I heard that there was no homophobia in China until the Christian missionaries came. Just tried to find a link but couldn't. Would you know about this?

I wouldn't know!

There are certainly a lot of gay episodes in Dream of the Red Chamber, and homosexuality was rife in the Imperial Palaces (lots of eunuchs). But that reflects maybe 1 or 2% of the population.

What do eunuchs have to do with homosexuality?

They have a HUGE imbalance of too many males compared to females due to some ugly stuff in their culture which we don't need to go in here.

Doesn't help the straight males though that have almost no chance of ever finding a mate.

It's in the numbers.

I wish that the excess male all became gay. Alas, this is not going to happen, as gays among too many girls won't become straight either.

It's in the numbers.

The excess of males is due to the PRC's one-child per family policy. This was a measure intended to reduce the population which, as in much of the world, was growing out of control. Families tended to want a male heir.... and numerous female children were killed off.

The last time I saw a figure, the excess of males over females was 17%.

Politics, not culture.