New Thai Navy chief says submarines still necessary

webfact

New Navy chief says submarines still necessary
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Newly-appointed Navy Commander-in-Chief Adm Na Areekij said Thursday that submarines are still needed by the Navy to protect Thailand's sea territory.

But Na admitted that the procurement would have to be indefinitely postponed due to limited budget as the government would need the money to help all sectors, especially low-income people.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/New-Navy-chief-says-submarines-still-necessary-30269950.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-10-01

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Better refurbish and equip your already existing aircraft carrier instead of having it delegated to the sad duty of serving as a local tourist attraction.

That will be cheaper than buying a few submarines, which surely would be useless and ultimately become rusting tourists attractions, too, because nobody knows how to operate them.

Once you get your carrier up and running, take it out to sea and - voila! - mission accomplished, as all your neighbors will stand in awe (and probably piss their pants) in the face of the awesomely powerful Thai Navy.

That was the original (and basically only) reason for purchasing submarines anyway, wasn't it? I mean, awing your neighbors...

But then again... somebody is probably already counting on pocketing a handsome kickback when that silly submarine purchase goes ahead. How could I forget.

It's just history repeating itself. When the yellow shirts were in power, yellow shirts got what they wanted. When the red shirts were in power, the red shirts got what they wanted. Now the military is in power and the military gets what it wanted...

But economically, things are worse than very tight -- is this Defense Department populist policy--or what?

The greed in this country is truly pathetic. giggle.gif

Just when you think this silly issue has died down some newly promoted Admiral has to reignite the idea. Must check the calendar I think the silly season is upon us again. Living proof that promotions are bought not earned through sensibilities

It's just history repeating itself. When the yellow shirts were in power, yellow shirts got what they wanted. When the red shirts were in power, the red shirts got what they wanted. Now the military is in power and the military gets what it wanted...

But economically, things are worse than very tight -- is this Defense Department populist policy--or what?

I thought the military and the yellow shirts were on the same side? You know the side that keeps getting cooped.

Edited by lostoday

Amazing Thailand.

Was this chap "out to sea" when the public outcry against this plan arose just a few months ago?

Either he's a completely clueless imbecile, or a wind-up RTN toy sailor who only can say one phrase, "I need subs.".

What an embarrassment to the Kingdom.

The way I read it is this, the new Admiral actually knows what he is doing. He has seen the backlash and is laying the groundwork for backing out of the deal. He mentioned helping the poor by postponing the sub purchase. Nice way to let it die a natural death and save face by helping the needy.

I really hope I am reading this one right.

The new Navy chief must have been briefed by the special drinks quartermaster , what use is a submarine in the Gulf of Thailand or the Andaman sea , if you are protecting Thailand waters, you'll be detected from 500 klms away by an airborne AWACS and the missile possibly is launched from under the Arctic circle ,but if you are stationed in the strait between China and Taiwan and you may be asked one day, because of your sub size, but that is another matter, I can see your point commander , prestige, nothing to do with defence, like most of the Military establishment in Thailand, you live in yesteryear coffee1.gif

The new Navy chief must have been briefed by the special drinks quartermaster , what use is a submarine in the Gulf of Thailand or the Andaman sea , if you are protecting Thailand waters, you'll be detected from 500 klms away by an airborne AWACS and the missile possibly is launched from under the Arctic circle ,but if you are stationed in the strait between China and Taiwan and you may be asked one day, because of your sub size, but that is another matter, I can see your point commander , prestige, nothing to do with defence, like most of the Military establishment in Thailand, you live in yesteryear coffee1.gif

I was watching a documentary about Soviet subs trying to operate in the Baltic during WWII. Maybe the Thai Navy should watch it too.

The way I read it is this, the new Admiral actually knows what he is doing. He has seen the backlash and is laying the groundwork for backing out of the deal. He mentioned helping the poor by postponing the sub purchase. Nice way to let it die a natural death and save face by helping the needy.

I really hope I am reading this one right.

Yeah, that's the way I read it as well thumbsup.gif

I wonder why they don't buy a swarm of small drones rather than these expensive and limited function huge toys. Then they can play robot-wars. The next derivative could then be competing in HALO or other video games and nobody dies. Then they can ask what war was for in the first place (hmmm...distraction needed...why are reporters asking me pertinent questions?).

But seriously, for Thailand with its size, resources and geographical location...and its tendancy to get pally with whoever helps them most, I would suggest they forget about defence, and just buddy up with some neighbours for defence in return for some cheap exports.

My friend in the RTN tells me that although it is a secret. They need the subs up the Mekong just in case the Vietnamese or Cambodians try to get across or the Chinese come down. Tatics are that the subs will just sit on the bottom and surprise them.

Rather cunning old chap !

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz,

My friends all drive Porsches,

I must make amends.

I wait for delivery each day until ten.

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedeeeeees Benz.

RIP - Janis Joplin

Good idea, but your quote is a bit out, as you've seem to mix up the 1st & 2nd verse. But so v relevant.

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz,

My friends all drive Porsches,

I must make amends.

I wait for delivery each day until ten.

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedeeeeees Benz.

RIP - Janis Joplin

Good idea, but your quote is a bit out, as you've seem to mix up the 1st & 2nd verse. But so v relevant.

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a new Submarine ?

My friends all drive Aklua's, I must make amends,

Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends,

So oh Lord, won't you buy me a new submarine ?