Thai mobile provider reliability

Na Fan

Hi guys

I've got two mobiles, both on post-paid contracts. One's with TrueMove, the other's with AIS.

Both phones are subscribed to the same service, that's based in North America (I'm on call frequently and get alerts via this mechanism).

The problem is that it appears to be based on total randomness whether or not either phone gets the SMS messages. One day, the AIS phone would get all texts, the TrueMove phone gets none (none at all). The very next day it would be the other way round. Also, "missing" SMS messages do not get delivered late, they just don't come in at all (previously in similar scenarios in Europe if there was an outage or a system overload such as on new year's eve, messages would arrive late, but were never lost).

Also, the AIS phone constantly receives the messages from the same North American number (+1) - but the TrueMove phone receives the messages from random UK numbers, and each SMS comes in from a different number. There is only a single point (source number) where all the SMS are sent from. Nothing is being sent from the UK. I verified that.

Anyone experience a similar thing? Are the providers here really that bad at the most basic of things?

Na Fan

With Tonray use line if other party is on line of course if not any Internet based messagin system ie Skype hangouts vibrer WhatsApp they all do the same plus as long as you have Internet on phone there free

Edited by Sutty

OK, so you are talking about US SIM cards that are on international roaming here, not about Thai SIM cards, right?

I have had problems with SMS not received, both those sent to me and those sent by me to others, when roaming with my AIS SIM card. I don't know whether such missing SMS are the fault of the provider to which the SIM card is subscribed or the roaming provider though.

I would also think that origin numbers from the UK are chosen by the sending provider; the receiving (roaming) provider cannot change a US number to a UK number.

TRUE has been good - not excellent. Recently, I upgraded to 3G.

Then, I was getting access to FREE calls within LOS.

What to do? Could not sleep.

Anyone who called me, I would tell them I would call back.

Alas, last week, it all came to an end.

Now, I choose to call no one. I hate to spend such big bucks!

Now, I am a lonely guy.

Never ever up to and today have had problems with receiving SMS messages from Europe on an AIS 12Call prepaid card in Thailand. Most reliable I must say. Never ever tried to send a SMS message from Thailand to Europe.

I believe the OP's question is about SMS receiving when on international roaming. I have never had a problem with my AIS SIM card when in Thailand either, neither when sending nor when receiving.

Thanks for the input so far.

Use LINE instead...more reliable...

Can't do that - remember this is a corporate system that sends out alerts. Up to a 100+ on a busy day, and to both phones at the same time.

OK, so you are talking about US SIM cards that are on international roaming here, not about Thai SIM cards, right?

I have had problems with SMS not received, both those sent to me and those sent by me to others, when roaming with my AIS SIM card. I don't know whether such missing SMS are the fault of the provider to which the SIM card is subscribed or the roaming provider though.

I would also think that origin numbers from the UK are chosen by the sending provider; the receiving (roaming) provider cannot change a US number to a UK number.

No, they're both Thai SIM cards. One's from AIS, the other from True.

I think it's fairly likely that the sheer volume plays a role here. For instance on a busy Sunday I might receive 90 alerts. One phone would get all 90 of them. The other phone perhaps 20. On a weekday I might get 30 alerts. One phone would get them all, the other phone would get none. If I miss any alert (because e.g. one phone runs out of battery or their cell phone tower undergoes maintenance, and the other provider decides just not to send me the messages that day) I'd get into trouble.

It's kind of worrying.

Fan

You say both phones are subscribed to a service in North America can you confirm you are living in thailand and both phones are receiving normal Ais or Dtac services. I presume you mean your messages for business or on call get routed through this service in North America!!! If that is the case then 99.9999% of any texts not received will be down to the service provider in North America

You say both phones are subscribed to a service in North America can you confirm you are living in thailand and both phones are receiving normal Ais or Dtac services. I presume you mean your messages for business or on call get routed through this service in North America!!! If that is the case then 99.9999% of any texts not received will be down to the service provider in North America

The provider in the US tracks each message and the SMS gateway there says it was delivered successfully. Yet my phone doesn't get the message. I doubt it's on their side. Plus, they use the same system for all staff, world-wide.

It's basically something like this:

- Server in the US sends message to a gateway / SMS provider

- SMS provider forwards to Thai provider

- Thai provider forwards to my phone ( and this is the step that fails, all other steps are tracked, logged, validated )

Fan

Here what your saying but in my experience of the providers who deal with forwarding the sms there was always a lot slipped through personal on dtac get sms from all over world never had any going missing yet??? If there tracked call the service provider and tell them to chase up that's what there paid for