PM Prayut hails 'understanding' with US on politics, business

webfact

PM hails 'understanding' with US on politics, business
The Nation

NEW YORK: -- On the eve of his return from the 70th session of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA 70) in New York, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said Thursday that the international community had shown confidence in Thailand on the global stage.

Prayut is scheduled to arrive back at Suvarnabhumi Airport at 9.55pm Friday.

The general said he was proud to represent Thailand at UNGA 70, where he took the opportunity to hold bilateral meetings with representatives of several countries and raise Thailand's bid to secure a seat as a non-permanent member of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC).

He added that Thailand needed to expand its markets at all levels, and that the country was seeking to become an international hub for the distribution of goods.

"Several country leaders offered their condolences over the Ratchaprasong bomb attack and said they were glad that we had been able to resolve the situation. I invited them to visit Thailand, telling them that the country has changed. Everyone is safe and Thais are happy.

"We are driving our country forward. The focus was on tourism, trade and investment but also on when we could bring about peace. Thais can do it if we work hand in hand,'' the prime minister said.

On his meeting with US President Barack Obama, Prayut said: "He honoured me as on previous occasions. We have forged an understanding with the US government and American business associations.

"I told them we were pleased to continue bilateral trade. The United States is Thailand's third-largest investment destination. We are making it more convenient for US businesses to invest in Thailand. We do not block anyone. We have amended many laws [to facilitate trade] and the US business sector understands us."

Prayut said he had explained to high-ranking US officials that he would stick with his junta's "road map to democracy".

"But according to democratic rules, we must have a charter first. Since the charter draft has been rejected, we will draft a new one and put it to a public referendum. We have to heed opinions from various sectors.

"I have never wronged this country. I have taken responsibility for everything … Is it right to block me from correcting faults? Everyone knows [Thailand's] problems, but no one wants to correct them. Who can we ask to restore peace? Other countries?"

The prime minister said he was gratified that Thailand had been endorsed as head of the Group of 77 developing nations for 2016.

"We were chosen because we have made concrete achievements and significantly reduced our poverty," he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/PM-hails-understanding-with-US-on-politics-busines-30269983.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-10-01

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

''We are driving our country forward" Ahhh all a cunning plan disguised as a disaster then.

Best impression of a country moving backwards ive seen in ages, really great act. whistling.gif

Oh for goodness sakes. Dont you read the latest stats.. The visitor count is on the way up rolleyes.gif And probably for the first time Thailand is getting "quality" tourists.

Edited by oldsailor35

I invited them to visit Thailand, telling them that the country has changed. Everyone is safe and Thais are happy.

Who is everyone? Thailand is quite unsafe!

Thais are happy? Not in the north east or the south and lots of other places!

Yes Thailand has changed, its called Siam now, a country ruled by a paranoid military.

If there are two words the Nation has absolutely flogged to death it is 'hails' and their other favorite 'lauds' .

I know the economy is in the doldrums but surely their budget must be enough to cover the expense of an up to date dictionary and even better a thesaurus.

If not , perhaps we could all chip in a baht each and send them one for Christmas.

Dear Mr. PM,

Did you take my advice on visiting Supreme Pizza near Penn Station?

If not, then you missed out on what would have been the highlight of your stay in NYC..

Congratulations on your bilateral talks with the leaders of Fiji and Equatorial Guinea.

Welcome back to BKK. Just in time for the sacking of your ICT Minister.

Love, PDL

"I invited them to visit Thailand, telling them that the country has changed. Everyone is safe and Thais are happy."

How could any political leader spout such fatuous claptrap and expect to be taken seriously? Come on!

"I invited them to visit Thailand, telling them that the country has changed. Everyone is safe and Thais are happy."

How could any political leader spout such fatuous claptrap and expect to be taken seriously? Come on!

Well, luckily PM Prayut is not a political leader.

Anyway, real political leaders are much better at formulating statements others like to take apart and ridicule. Newspapers in the Western World are full of them. Watch some of the American LateNight shows.

You're damn right he is a far cry from a political leader. As for "luckily", for lovers of fascism and oppression sure, but not so lucky for those of us who side with the people and not their jailers.

Edited by baboon

Yea pm, the world understands Thailands problems, one being a coup every 4 years. The other being after said coup the same folks get their snouts in the trough and income inequality increases. From reading this article it does seem he got the charter rejected to stay in power a few more years. I read he was a smart guy but from his public statements he seems very disenguous to the point of simplicity.

You're damn right he is a far cry from a political leader. As for "luckily", for lovers of fascism and oppression sure, but not so lucky for those of us who side with the people and not their jailers.

Strange that with such short post I made you still found it necessary to remove the last lines

"Anyway, real political leaders are much better at formulating statements others like to take apart and ridicule. Newspapers in the Western World are full of them. Watch some of the American LateNight shows."

Maybe you didn't want too much attention on political leaders claptrap ?

Oh by the way, the leader of the 2006 coup became a respectable politician, was voted in in parliament and his one-seat party was even allowed to join the Pheu Thai led coalition government under PM Yingluck. Surely such miracles could occur again.

Strange that with such short post I made you still found it necessary to remove the last lines

"Anyway, real political leaders are much better at formulating statements others like to take apart and ridicule. Newspapers in the Western World are full of them. Watch some of the American LateNight shows."

Maybe you didn't want too much attention on political leaders claptrap ?

Oh by the way, the leader of the 2006 coup became a respectable politician, was voted in in parliament and his one-seat party was even allowed to join the Pheu Thai led coalition government under PM Yingluck. Surely such miracles could occur again.

At least we agree he is a far cry from any kind of decent political leader. There's progress at least.

As I've stated in another topic.

Strange how I can't find one single article,paragraph,sentence,phrase or word on the whole of the internet to substantiate his claim that he met president Obama. Hmmm. Should we take him for his word?

There will be no coup!

I do not want to be PM!

I don't think soooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

''We are driving our country forward" Ahhh all a cunning plan disguised as a disaster then.

Best impression of a country moving backwards ive seen in ages, really great act. whistling.gif

We are not going backwards - We are going forward in the other direction. thumbsup.gif

...he had explained to high-ranking US officials that he would stick with his junta's "road map to democracy".

You mean the route map with all the unmarked detours and dead end roads making it a much longer trip than initially announced?

Yea pm, the world understands Thailands problems, one being a coup every 4 years. The other being after said coup the same folks get their snouts in the trough and income inequality increases. From reading this article it does seem he got the charter rejected to stay in power a few more years. I read he was a smart guy but from his public statements he seems very disenguous to the point of simplicity.

Income inequality increases and disingenuous statements ??

Wow! Just like the USA!!

I bet the GOP just loved him!

Are Thais "birthers" or does Trump have a chance of being PM here after he loses in the US?cheesy.gif