PM Prayut hails 'understanding' with US on politics, business

webfact

As I've stated in another topic.

Strange how I can't find one single article,paragraph,sentence,phrase or word on the whole of the internet to substantiate his claim that he met president Obama. Hmmm. Should we take him for his word?

There will be no coup!

I do not want to be PM!

I don't think soooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

In one of the PM visits NY topic someone poster a phto with Pres. Obama and PM Prayut shaking hands. As some poster remarked following, PM Prayut was the last in line to shake hands. You must have missed that.

So he was last in line, standing in the doorway waiting to get a handshake.

You think that is a plus for thailand?

Well, this may surprise you, but when some members suggests the PM was last in line that may be

- true

- wishful thinking

- somewhat less true (members never lie of course)

- absolutely not true (see remark above)

...Or it may not, I think you will agree.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am normally not a supporter of a seizure of a government. However, this was not the norm. The reason it occurred has been discussed over and over again. You are right. Many governments both military and other have promised so many things and never followed through on them. I would prefer, for Thailand's sake, an election in which highly qualified people would vie for the support of the electorate and then be judged on their results. When I say I take the current Prime Minister at his word- I do. If he breaks it- he has to answer to the public and explain it. My objections to the criticism of him have been that it is time to give him a chance. The ails of Thailand, many caused by years of allegiance to a person who is not even in the country, cannot be fixed quickly- unless he invokes Section 44 and becomes really dictatorial. He has used his ultimate power sparingly. However, I agree that he may want to reign in his sycophants who make decisions based upon what they think the leader wants. Same thing in the West. Obama's minions ruining to and fro making statements about this and that based upon what they think makes the boss happy.

He is a military man- not a politician and I take him at his word that he did not seek to be PM nor does he really want to continue on long term. I see him as a Thai patriot who had no other choice but to stop the destruction of the country.

This is exactly what Field Marshall Prayut, and every other general who staged a coup before him, has "claimed".

Good to see the propaganda machine is working, at least for one person, his Thai family and every Thai person he knows.

Some might argue, except that they'd be "black-bagged", that it is the dear General who is destroying the Kingdom.

Well, it's interesting you keep on giving PM Prayut a promotion naming him Field Marshall (a rank which doesn't even seem to exist anymore in Thailand). Are you a Prayut fan sprouting some propaganda?

That's how his military rank in Thai translates to English. Yes, I know it has a bad history in Thailand, hence the "nicer" term of General is now used.

But yes, I am a huge Junta fantard, and I personally love carrying the dear leader's water.

At least we agree he is a far cry from any kind of decent political leader. There's progress at least.

Totally irrelevant and trying to divert from a less intelligent remark you made. PM Prayut is not a political leader. To say "How could any political leader spout such fatuous claptrap and expect to be taken seriously?" means you're either not talking about PM Prayut, or made a simple silly mistake. Nothing serious.

What's next ? Maybe tell us PM Prayut isn't the best of Popes you've ever seen?

He is the PRIME MINISTER (apparently, according to himself) which is a political position. Therefore he is a political leader and no amount of diversionary tactics on your part can cover up the fact you have no legs left to stand on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_minister

Above the wiki link with description of the Prime Minister, position, etc.

Please point out to me where it says the PM position is a political position. Thank you wai.gif

The NCPO is a de-facto political party, the NLA is an un-elected, non-representative political/legislative body. The later selected Field Marshall Prayut as Prime Minister.

Remember, Thai politics, especially under Military Junta, are special and unique.

Sir- you have every right to your opinion and it does not have to agree with me or anyone else. If you are a friend of Thailand, as you say, I salute you. No offense was directed at you. If he decides to stay in power, the Thai people will decide if that is what they want or not. It would surprise me very much if he wants to stay in power. He may even decide to transfer power to a caretaker civilian who is highly respect by the Thai people and then proceed to elections. It has been done in the past with good results.

As far as whether he was last in line or first in line to shake Obama's hand- who cares. At least he had a chance to meet the US President and whisper in his ear.

Most people don't like the General because he talks like a General not a politician which I find refreshing. I don't know about you but politicians no matter where they hail from have made a mess out of their own countries as well as the World. I say let's try something different. Everyone can eventually go back to the prior status quo.

Edited by Thaidream

Sir- you have every right to your opinion and it does not have to agree with me or anyone else. If you are a friend of Thailand, as you say, I salute you. No offense was directed at you. If he decides to stay in power, the Thai people will decide if that is what they want or not. It would surprise me very much if he wants to stay in power. He may even decide to transfer power to a caretaker civilian who is highly respect by the Thai people and then proceed to elections. It has been done in the past with good results.

As far as whether he was last in line or first in line to shake Obama's hand- who cares. At least he had a chance to meet the US President and whisper in his ear.

Most people don't like the General because he talks like a General not a politician which I find refreshing. I don't know about you but politicians no matter where they hail from have made a mess out of their own countries as well as the World. I say let's try something different. Everyone can eventually go back to the prior status quo.

You repeat that the Thai people will decide if this government is what they want or not, but seem to wish to avoid my question that I feel still stands: By what method do the Thai people remove this government if they decide to stay on beyond their welcome?

He is a military man- not a politician and I take him at his word that he did not seek to be PM nor does he really want to continue on long term. I see him as a Thai patriot who had no other choice but to stop the destruction of the country.

This is exactly what Field Marshall Prayut, and every other general who staged a coup before him, has "claimed".

Good to see the propaganda machine is working, at least for one person, his Thai family and every Thai person he knows.

Some might argue, except that they'd be "black-bagged", that it is the dear General who is destroying the Kingdom.

Well, it's interesting you keep on giving PM Prayut a promotion naming him Field Marshall (a rank which doesn't even seem to exist anymore in Thailand). Are you a Prayut fan sprouting some propaganda?

That's how his military rank in Thai translates to English. Yes, I know it has a bad history in Thailand, hence the "nicer" term of General is now used.

But yes, I am a huge Junta fantard, and I personally love carrying the dear leader's water.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_marshal_(Thailand)

Seems Prayut's name is missing. Maybe just the usual translation error.

One other comment that I must agree with you on is that no one one wants their lifestyle/politics/media imposed on them. The problem is that wherever you hail from- that is exactly what you get in the West. Since I am an American- I can tell you that politics and media are controlled by the wealthy and they impose upon you the lifestyle you live. This is not true freedom or democracy. This is a dictatorship of the wealthy living off the labor of the poor. How do you get rid of it? In America- people are really disgusted with the status quo and through subsequent generations- something will be done. Everyone wants their children or family members or simply each other to have a better life. It is not happening. Many of us in Thailand are happy with our own lives- but don't think for a moment that the middle class and poor in other countries live in freedom.

"I invited them to visit Thailand, telling them that the country has changed. Everyone is safe and Thais are happy."

How could any political leader spout such fatuous claptrap and expect to be taken seriously? Come on!

Well, luckily PM Prayut is not a political leader.

Anyway, real political leaders are much better at formulating statements others like to take apart and ridicule. Newspapers in the Western World are full of them. Watch some of the American LateNight shows.

Yeah, lucky for Thailand he has not political abilities what so ever, but he does know something about beach chairs and bike lanes.

Growing up in the western world you are expected to defend yourself verbally, to formulate arguments and take the abuse from others with a grain of salt. If you take yourself too seriously, you lose

Well, growing up in Thailand things are a wee bit different. More cultural colour as it were.

If he decides to stay in power, the Thai people will decide if that is what they want or not.

Nonsensical post. The Thai people will have absolutely no say in how long Field Marshall Prayut will stay in power, nor will they have a say in the drafting of the 21st (?, I've lost count) constitution. To suggest this requires with extreme naivete, or complete ignorance of Thai history and the "powers in charge".

One other comment that I must agree with you on is that no one one wants their lifestyle/politics/media imposed on them. The problem is that wherever you hail from- that is exactly what you get in the West. Since I am an American- I can tell you that politics and media are controlled by the wealthy and they impose upon you the lifestyle you live. This is not true freedom or democracy. This is a dictatorship of the wealthy living off the labor of the poor. How do you get rid of it? In America- people are really disgusted with the status quo and through subsequent generations- something will be done. Everyone wants their children or family members or simply each other to have a better life. It is not happening. Many of us in Thailand are happy with our own lives- but don't think for a moment that the middle class and poor in other countries live in freedom.

So I take it you are declining to anwer my question of by which method the Thai people remove this government should it prove not to their liking?

The NCPO is a de-facto political party, the NLA is an un-elected, non-representative political/legislative body. The later selected Field Marshall Prayut as Prime Minister.

Remember, Thai politics, especially under Military Junta, are special and unique.

Read up on political parties.

BTW you promoting PM Prayut to Field Marshal is close to LM as the rank seems reserved for the Royal Family as ceremonial rank for the last three decades or so.

In one of the PM visits NY topic someone poster a phto with Pres. Obama and PM Prayut shaking hands. As some poster remarked following, PM Prayut was the last in line to shake hands. You must have missed that.

Well, this may surprise you, but when some members suggests the PM was last in line that may be

- true

- wishful thinking

If that makes you feel better

Well, this may not surprise you, but when some members suggests the PM was last in line that may be

- true

- wishful thinking

You are correct- I cannot answer the question because I do not want to violate Board rules and it would be impertinent of me to suggest any type of scenario.

Understood. Let's make it about a fictitious country then, Baboonistan. How would the people of that fair nation remove a government who came to power by way of a coup and subsequently ran the country in a way which was not to the citizens' liking yet decide to stay in power for as long as they feel like?

- true

- wishful thinking

Well, this may not surprise you, but when some members suggests the PM was last in line that may be

- true

- wishful thinking

So you do agree. Excellent.

- true

- wishful thinking

- true

- wishful thinking

If it make you fell better, it looks like the rain is lessening.

Sorry- cannot do it this way either. Best leave it at that.

It is your perogative of course. However I take it you will henceforth drop your 'people need to give them a chance' line of argument?

Obama shook hands with all delegates and as far as I can see General had to wait until all others were finished .... hahaha

This ship is sinking - better get the hell out ... getting worse by the day here in this hell-hole

Off you pop then, bye bye.

- true

- wishful thinking

- true

- wishful thinking

So you agree - unless someone can post a link actually showing evidence of whether the PM was last in line or not, it is pure speculation?

- true

- wishful thinking

- true

- wishful thinking

So you agree - unless someone can post a link actually showing evidence of whether the PM was last in line or not, it is pure speculation?

Yes.

Does this mean that the UN are giving their blessing to the perpetrators of the Military coup

I hope so I really do. It is exactly what this country needed at the time it happened and now the road back to democracy is being laid out and IMHO honourably too. Personally I am far happier living here now than before the coup and that is for sure and many I speak to feel the same. So lets stop the silly bickering and let Thailand slowly heal its wounds and pave the way for recovery. We all need to be more positive and less cynical for sure.

Tomorrow's headline will read:"PM Prayut Chan-ocha presides over gala awards reception where he accepts the Prayut Chan-ocha Award for Outstanding Achievement and Excellence in the field of Everything on his own behalf"

A majority of one in a telephone booth.

Why should I drop the argument of people need to give the current government a chance? The government has only been in power for a little over a year. Even Western governments, such as they are, need more time than this to react, pass or change laws, do studies, get opinions, etc. Why should Thailand be any different. I understand why someone may not like the government for what it does or does not do. However, the current government does not have a lengthy track record to be judged on. If you really listen to the speeches of the Prime Minster and his news conferences, you will see that he does have plans for reform, moving the economy ahead and relations with other governments. Some of his dialogue with the press may not be politically correct but that is one thing I like about him. If someone asks a questions that is poorly researched or lacks any depth- he calls them out on it. The man is a General- not a politician. The World could use a lot less politicians than the ones there are.

These pro-military regime saps keep on parroting the "Everyone I talk to agrees with me so I can speak for all Thai people" line. It's nearly as common as casting blame at the victims of population control rather than those who have done all the controlling.

The bombs going off are a direct result of the feudal system trying to suppress modernism. Remove the feudalist parasites and there will be no more bombs than in any other civilized country.

Whether it's the propaganda of 'protecting against modernization the bombs, or whether it's putting words into the mouths of others to claim all or most Thai people are being spoken for, the junta apologists have done a fine job over the months of emulating their suspect saviours.

First of all, I do not speak for the Thai people and never will. I speak for myself. However, the people I interact with are willing to give the current government a chance to succeed. As far as modernism- we could all do with a little less of it. Modernism has given us pollution, a vast disparity in wealth; corruption; over consumption and a general decline in peoples happiness. Do I want feudalism. No, but I want controlled growth and the wealthy to stop oppressing the poor not only in Thailand but in the West where materialistic capitalism is at its worse. How about sharing. Anybody remember that concept?