Renewing UK passport - what I can use for proof of address?

Renewed mine a couple of months ago. Because I'd left it very close to my annual extension at Immigration I chose a belt & braces approach and took my annual statement from my UK pension administrators, renewal letter from my health insurance provider, and statement from my UK bank, all with my Thai address of course. Told any one of them was sufficient. Staff in the passport section at Trendy are very efficient. Tip. Unless you are a rich farang, copy passport before you go. I missed one page and it cost me 25 baht in Trendy. Money you save will buy several large Tigers in the bars just outside.

Following the list.....copy of visa in passport....girl in Trendy said needed more. I disagreed and told her to submit it. No issues got it back in 10 days this April. Why would you need to prove an address for a passport beyond proof you are legally in the country. No address in a Uk passport. ...can live in a tent!

You were lucky, you didn't satisfy the criteria that is set out clearly ion the website.

Others who have tried to circumvent the requirements have been less successful.

I would have LMAO if yours had been rejected.

Er....did you read the website?

I supplied a copy of my retirement visa ( as visa colour copy is one of the accepted items on their list) which shows I am legally residing in Thailand.

I also 2 months earlier renewed my sons passport using his Thai school report which does not have my address only his name.

As I previously said you do not need an address to renew your passport.I did not circumvent any requirement just followed their instructions.

• Like 1

Following the list.....copy of visa in passport....girl in Trendy said needed more. I disagreed and told her to submit it. No issues got it back in 10 days this April. Why would you need to prove an address for a passport beyond proof you are legally in the country. No address in a Uk passport. ...can live in a tent!

You were lucky, you didn't satisfy the criteria that is set out clearly ion the website.

I supplied a copy of my retirement visa ( as visa colour copy is one of the accepted items on their list) which shows I am legally residing in Thailand.

I also 2 months earlier renewed my sons passport using his Thai school report which does not have my address only his name.

As I previously said you do not need an address to renew your passport.I did not circumvent any requirement just followed their instructions.

HMPO Instructions - Group 2 Applications - Guidance notes::

Applying for a passport from outside the UK - Supporting Documents

Identity, name and address evidence

All applicants must provide one document showing photo identity and one document as evidence of name and address dated within the last year.

Are you a Brit renewing a passport or a Thai applying for One? I say that because when I did my renewal recently I completed the form sent it direct to the UK with passport, pictures and confirmation of the money payment and received it back at my Thai address in less than 3 weeks. No proof of Thai address or anything required.

Same here, got a new passport ten months ago.

No proof of address required.

Maybe this is yet another change in the system?

Yes, I'm a Brit renewing my passport

Ok, so I've got a number of options here - driving license, letter from employer and it is handy to know there is a translation service at Trendy building.

Thanks for everyone's help, much appreciated.

Try and avoid that, when I went the one just inside the door wanted 2 to 3 days. They took me to another on the second floor that would do it in an hour, for 700 baht.

700 baht was about the same price as coming back so I went for it. Probably cheaper places available but it doesn't help if you don't know which ones.

• Like 1

Ok, so I've got a number of options here - driving license, letter from employer and it is handy to know there is a translation service at Trendy building.

If you have to time to prepare properly I am sure you can get translations done locally.

I pay 150/200 Baht per page.

• Like 1

100% wrong poosmate and there is a danger that you may cause others to fall foul of the requirement. Please stop posting such inaccuracies.

I suggest that you re-read the website - you will then realise how fortunate you were.

The ID and address verification have been in place certainly since VFS have been involved. I have seen 2 applications from individuals rejected for address evidence that did not meet the criteria. One being a yellow book. i am not saying I agree with the requirement (it is actually pointless), I am just telling you what the requirements.

However, if you really think you are smarter than the systems, have a go at missing something off your next extension with Thai immigration smile.png

Edited by Jip99

Couple of posters have already pointed out that the 'express' translation agencies in the trendy building are more than overly expensive.

Your best and cheapest option is a letter in English from your employer on letterhead confirming your name, address and employment status dated recently.

This hits all the HMPO marks, works and costs nothing in translation costs.

• Like 1

Does anyone know how long you have to collect your passport once it arrives back at trendy?

When asked this question, trendy stated that they would keep a passport for up to 4 weeks then return it to the UK if it was unclaimed and they had no response.

There have been reports of new passport collections being made more than a month after arrival notification, by agreement between trendy and the applicant.