How usefull is thai launguage in Laos

oli123

Hi there,

I intend to visit Lao around december with my asian (not thai ) girlfriend. (Fluent in English)

I have a good verbal understanding of Thai - not fluent but can understand and participate in most conversations - in thailand can do just fine using only thai.I cant read or write thai though as I learnt by living in all thai areas, a bit rusty though as has been a year since I have spoken thai

My question to those of you who have visited. live.spend time in Laos is My understanding is that Laos is similar to issan, How useful and how widely understood is standard thai for communication? And English?

Thankyou for any advise

It depends on where in Laos. Vientaine, for example, many speak both Thai and Laotian however Lao is similar enough to Thai where if you were a moderately decent speaker, you could get by.

Thankyou JeffreyO, I had heard that thai is fairly well understood there, but just from people who had never been there or who didnt speak thai!, so was curious.

Is there any word differences that I should be aware of - that would cause offence etc? Which areas would be survivable speaking only thai?

The languages are very similar, you can get by. Almost everyone understand central Thai, because Thai media is so common. Kinda like how all English speakers easily understand a California accent because of Hollywood. The opposite is not true though, central Thai speakers will not understand everything a Lao person says. Most Laos people will understand this though and speak in a way you can understand.

Laos people in tourist areas are also a lot better at English than Thais so you can just use that anyway.

It depends on where in Laos. Vientaine, for example, many speak both Thai and Laotian however Lao is similar enough to Thai where if you were a moderately decent speaker, you could get by.

Thankyou JeffreyO, I had heard that thai is fairly well understood there, but just from people who had never been there or who didnt speak thai!, so was curious.

Is there any word differences that I should be aware of - that would cause offence etc? Which areas would be survivable speaking only thai?

As mentioned before this, you can get by with Thai even if they don't speak Thai as they'll understand the basics of what you mean. Though you may have a harder time understanding them.

One example of a difference that stands out when I was there, even with my exceptionally limited Thai "Sabaidee" is their way of saying "Sawasdee". You may notice some changes like this you'lly quickly pick up on. If you have Skype you can PM me and I'll get you in a chat with myself and my wife who will easily be able to give you some advice.

They will understand Thai no problem. You might want to learn some basics about the difference online (and not on Thai Visa), such a making negative sentences and some different vocabulary words.

most Lao will understand Thai if spoken relatively correctly, as they all watch Thai TV. though many / most wont speak Thai very well or at least will have a strong accent.

i used to have a trick to remember - change all ร to ห as a general rule and the guess usually worked or would get close, like school and hotel. They do something else with Rs to Ls as well.

anyway, I often wonder if those who understand no Thai and have no interest in learning it are sort of insulated in a protective way from things. Ignorance is bliss. Sorry to drift off topic... its been a long damn week. month. year. decade.

The two languages are quite similar, infact when I was there in February at a market ordering some Kanom, one cheerful lady walks up to me and says in Lao "Farang, you speak Lao very good!", Pood Pasa Lao dee mak Farang! It was quite hilarious for my friends that were with me (Thai people) to hear that.. there is a difference in accent, but that accent is evident even in the outer villages towards Nong Khai. I have never ventured too deep into Laos but can only imagine that the accent would vary so be harder to understand?

Edited by TheGhostWithin

Funny looking at young western women showing off their

Laos language skills, at any market, can't speak a word

but ''kop jai lai lai'' every chance they can, it made me

laugh one time at the markets, it was all i could hear.

Funny looking at young western women showing off their

Laos language skills, at any market, can't speak a word

but ''kop jai lai lai'' every chance they can, it made me

laugh one time at the markets, it was all i could hear.

Somehow I doubt it was showing off, it was just saying what they knew and the only way they knew how to communicate. I know people who just love trying to communicate with others, so they insert language when they can. Hardly the most annoying thing I've seen in a nation when a foreigner is visiting.

Just speak Thai and they will answer you in Lao. It's all very natural and understandable for both parties. I've observed my wife conversing at full speed with Lao people many times in Thailand and even at a large Lao supermarket we often went to in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

There are some differences. Sabaidee for Sawathdee krup, korp jai and the word for bottle is gaaw (gow) which in Thai is koo-ut. Jork is glass and nahm gone is ice. I found the following from a Vientianne dweller online, but my experience in Laos exclusively supports 'gaaw' for bottle and 'jork' for glass.

"Bia Lao neung quat"

No, Bob, this is Lao. My Lao wife speaks Lao, as do I. You can say neung geow, but people will think you have walked in from the jungle. Quat is used here now and has been for a long time.

This was bullshit. Laos people knew that Thais said 'koout' but 'gaaw' was used by all to denote a bottle. You can use Thai everywhere up to at least Luang Prabang and be fully understood. Furthermore most people will immediately recognise you as a Thai rather than Laos speaker. You will find Thai very useful once off the beaten track.

I've only ever been to Vientiane, but using my best Thai (Isaan variety), I realised very quickly that they understood my English better than my amateurish Thai. Outside tourist areas it may be a different story, but I don't have experience of that.

If you're just doing a visa journey, then I would say speak reasonably slowly and clearly in English and you'll do just fine.

Not sure about other parts of Laos, but i spent a week in Luang Prabang, and i can say that the locals understand my Thai and I understand their "Thai", much more easily than when i am talking to locals in Bangkok. It was a amazing to discover and made the trip way easier.

I have no idea why this was the case, except that maybe their fluency was at a very basic level - just like mine!

Just speak Thai and they will answer you in Lao. It's all very natural and understandable for both parties. I've observed my wife conversing at full speed with Lao people many times in Thailand and even at a large Lao supermarket we often went to in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Yeah, but she was speaking Issan, not Thai.

Some similarities. Numbers One to 19..same..same. In Thai twenty is yii-sip, in Loa its sao, 21 is sao-et, sao-song and so on... 100 in lao is loi.
The word for come in thai and loa is maa.
If you say to a loatian Gin kao (eat rice yet) - They will understand you. I think lao say GIn Kao baa.
Here are some lao lessons:
Its definitely useful to know some thai for business transactions (shopping, negotiating with and paying for taxis and tuk-tuks) even if most Laotians in Vientiane (I haven't been anywhere else in Loas), particularly in the touristy parts and hotels speak English.
I have seen many laotians watching Thai TV programs.
Edited by meltingpot2015

You can get by with English in Vientiane. I did run into a couple guys on the street and who didn't speak English but understood my Thai when I refused a girl they were offering and then subsequently refused her kid who was also for sale. Filthy animals.

Thai worked for me in places from Luang Prabang South. In fact i spoke more Thai there than i ever do in Thailand! Going North from there there is a definite Chinese influence. Oudom Xai i was understood but it a town full of Chinese and when i was a Phongsali i was English and sign language to get a bed for the night!

The languages are very similar, you can get by. Almost everyone understand central Thai, because Thai media is so common. Kinda like how all English speakers easily understand a California accent because of Hollywood. The opposite is not true though, central Thai speakers will not understand everything a Lao person says. Most Laos people will understand this though and speak in a way you can understand.

Laos people in tourist areas are also a lot better at English than Thais so you can just use that anyway.

The main difference I have found is that many Lao words are the same as Thai but lack an "r" sound - eg Prathet in Thai is Pathet in Lao

There are some differences. Sabaidee for Sawathdee krup, korp jai and the word for bottle is gaaw (gow) which in Thai is koo-ut. Jork is glass and nahm gone is ice. I found the following from a Vientianne dweller online, but my experience in Laos exclusively supports 'gaaw' for bottle and 'jork' for glass.

"Bia Lao neung quat"

No, Bob, this is Lao. My Lao wife speaks Lao, as do I. You can say neung geow, but people will think you have walked in from the jungle. Quat is used here now and has been for a long time.

This was bullshit. Laos people knew that Thais said 'koout' but 'gaaw' was used by all to denote a bottle. You can use Thai everywhere up to at least Luang Prabang and be fully understood. Furthermore most people will immediately recognise you as a Thai rather than Laos speaker. You will find Thai very useful once off the beaten track.

This Lao was obviously learned in a bar.biggrin.png

Californians used to have an accent many years ago. Nowadays we speak the king's American. : )

Funny you post this now, I have just been riding around laos for the past 10 days.

I rode from pakse to the plain of jars along the Vietnam border. Although Thai was useful, and the people spent all their time gawping at Thai TV, I was very surprised by the little conversations I had. One or two commented that it was good that I could come here and communicate, but for conversation, I found the people unwilling to find a common language and ask questions.

I learnt a few words from people who spoke slowly, the post that says something about "poot" ?? They say "jao wow"

Then despite some kids saying "poot chat maak" I had lots of "Bo kaowjai" but then I live in the south and

maybe have a southern slant to my Thai.

Another time, one nice woman asked me how much my bike was, it was 3x her estimation and she mutterd something about rich bastard and gave me the cold shoulder after that. So it's not always beneficial.

Back to the post, yes, a little Thai will be helpful - and the time I really needed to speak when I came off the bike, the student who picked the bike up with me spoke perfect English.

Just say "bo" instead of "khrap" and "kop jai" to everything and you'll be fine.

Incorrect.

Bo = Mai chai (Thai) = no (English).

The Lao people do not have the feminine (ka) or masculine (kap) word, the nearest equivelant being "jao".

If you can speak NE Isaan Thai ie Udon, KK, and all the Mekong provinces as far down as Ubon, you will get on fine in Southern Laos until you hit the Northern parts, as it is virtually identical in pronunciation bar the odd different word (and counting 1000 and above).