Can my GF stay as my dependant?

After living in Thailand for several years, I moved to Vientiane - and I love it here. Everything here is easier, especially getting a visa. Although life is a bit more expensive here, Vientiane is a very westernized city. It would be easier for you and your family to make a life in Laos - as far as visas go - than for you to live in Thailand. Consider making the move - I'll never live in Thailand again. But, if you plan to marry, do it in Thailand - it is very difficult for a foreigner to marry a Lao girl in Laos - it is possible, but it can take months or years to get approval.

What kind of visa can you get in Laos that is easier than a retirement visa in Thailand?

My girlfriend is 25 so retirement is not an option!

What I find odd is all the problems people have getting married to a Laotian.; I have seen several Thai men with their Lao wife getting extensions based upon marriage here at immigration. I can also recall at least one Lao man getting one based upon marriage to a Thai lady. Perhaps different rules at the Amphoe for Thai's to marry Laotians? But I don't think so.

I wonder if anybody has tried getting an affirmation of permit to marry from the Lao consulate in Koen Khen.

There was a thread on thaivisa with a member relating his story about living with his fiancee in Laos. They were engaged and organizing the paperwork etc. The police came and he ended up going to court (for living together)...sounds weird but ....point is there are different rules in neighboring countries. Is it true that cambodian women cannot marry foreigner if the foreigner is over 50?.

Can see the problem for the OP. Working in Thailand he probably might not have time to spend in loas for marriage process. Surely there would be a country where you could marry and that certificate recognized by thai immigration.

Edited by jacksam
  • Like 1

What I find odd is all the problems people have getting married to a Laotian.; I have seen several Thai men with their Lao wife getting extensions based upon marriage here at immigration. I can also recall at least one Lao man getting one based upon marriage to a Thai lady. Perhaps different rules at the Amphoe for Thai's to marry Laotians? But I don't think so.

I wonder if anybody has tried getting an affirmation of permit to marry from the Lao consulate in Koen Khen.

The problem is when it's a "farang", as the requirements from the Lao authorities become significantly more bureaucratic and expensive. It's further complicated (for me anyway) as relations between Laotians and "foreigners" are technically illegal unless they are married - and I have a 6-month old baby with my Lao GF! That said, I don't have first hand experience and would most interested if anyone has accomplished marriage to a Laotian in Thailand with relative ease, or knows a Thai based agent who could facilitate the process!

Totally different kettle of fish Thai, Farang.

Sister in-law is married to Thai fellow, ฿50,000 & a fist full of paperwork.

For me would of been 2/3x that figure & a world of bureacracy up to 2 years.

Read in a thread 1 bloke got the affirmation to marry in Thailand, took it to the Lao embassy in Bangkok to be signed off only for them to throw it back in his face because what he got signed was for Thai, not Farang.

Wife says "Lao, Thai same same" but really just a communist country with a price on their citizens head & part as the wife puts it, we not same same.

The problem is when it's a "farang", as the requirements from the Lao authorities become significantly more bureaucratic and expensive. It's further complicated (for me anyway) as relations between Laotians and "foreigners" are technically illegal unless they are married - and I have a 6-month old baby with my Lao GF! That said, I don't have first hand experience and would most interested if anyone has accomplished marriage to a Laotian in Thailand with relative ease, or knows a Thai based agent who could facilitate the process!

I think the correct word would be foreigner. A Thai man would be considered a foreigner under the Lao law you mention.

If your girl friend could get an affirmation of permit to marry from the Lao embassy or consulate it would be then just a matter of translation and certification by the MFA, And you getting the same from the UK embassy. Then a trip to an Amphoe.

Perhaps Isaan Lawyers (sponsor) could help. They may familiar with doing it. Website: http://www.isaanlawyers.com/

I think the correct word would be foreigner. A Thai man would be considered a foreigner under the Lao law you mention.

If your girl friend could get an affirmation of permit to marry from the Lao embassy or consulate it would be then just a matter of translation and certification by the MFA, And you getting the same from the UK embassy. Then a trip to an Amphoe.

Perhaps Isaan Lawyers (sponsor) could help. They may familiar with doing it. Website: http://www.isaanlawyers.com/

As Gringogazzer says, while Thais are foreigners, they are able to marry Laotians with far less hassle than other foreigners!

The initial document required by the Lao Embassy has to be obtained from the village headman (phùu nyai bâan) and the local police. From what I've heard, many palms need to be greased just to get that! Then it passes up various stages of officialdom until it gets to Vientiene and can take years!

I may well contact the lawyers you mention, for their advice, so thanks for that..

If you have a child out of wedlock with a Laotian lady, you have to pay the government about 1000 baht before you can apply for a marriage license.

A 1,000 baht wouldn't present a problem! I fear it would be significantly higher, child or no child.

In any case, if we marry it would be in the UK or Hong Kong, where nothing from Laos is required.

(Some posts disappearing?)

Brewster. You mention Hk option for marriage. Was there couple weeks back. Visa exempt for the thai gf. Loas nationals same I assume? When not marry there and is so, how would that paperwork sit with thai imm for her to remain here without the boarder runs?

Brewster. You mention Hk option for marriage. Was there couple weeks back. Visa exempt for the thai gf. Loas nationals same I assume? When not marry there and is so, how would that paperwork sit with thai imm for her to remain here without the boarder runs?

Laotians need a visa to enter Hong Kong.

As soon as they got married in HK they could go to the Thai consulate their and get his new wife a single entry non-o visa as his dependent so she could apply for an extension as his dependent at immigration here.

Thai immigration will accept any marriage certificate to apply for a dependent extension based upon the OP's extension.

Yes, I've been looking into marrying in HK, although doing it in the UK would still be my preference, despite it requiring more advanced planning as we would have to stay there for about a month. In HK we can give notice by email and only actually need to be there for about a week.

I'm also exploring the option of a migrant labour permit for "nanny".

Edited by brewsterbudgen

• 4 months later...

Update.

We've decided to marry in the UK and my GF will be applying for a UK Marriage Visitor Visa. My 10 month old son now has a UK passport.

When we're in the UK, can I apply for an O visa for my son at the Thai Embassy in London and then convert this to an Extension of Stay as my dependant once back in Thailand? Can this be done in person, in a single day?

After my GF and I are married (in the UK), can she also apply for an O visa in London, or does she have to do this in her home country (Laos)?

Thanks.

Update.

We've decided to marry in the UK and my GF will be applying for a UK Marriage Visitor Visa. My 10 month old son now has a UK passport.

When we're in the UK, can I apply for an O visa for my son at the Thai Embassy in London and then convert this to an Extension of Stay as my dependant once back in Thailand? Can this be done in person, in a single day?

After my GF and I are married (in the UK), can she also apply for an O visa in London, or does she have to do this in her home country (Laos)?

Thanks.

If your G/F is in the UK legally she can apply for a visa.

If you have an extension of stay then you can apply for your son to have an extension as your dependent.

Edited by sunnyjim5

Update.

Thanks.

If you have an extension of stay then you can apply for your son to have an extension as your dependent.

Thanks. So, if she's in the UK on a UK Marriage Visitor Visa, she can apply for an O visa for Thailand at the Thai Embassy in London, like my son and I can then get them both Extensions as my dependants when we're all back in Thailand.

Update.

Thanks.

Thanks. So, if she's in the UK on a UK Marriage Visitor Visa, she can apply for an O visa for Thailand at the Thai Embassy in London, like my son and I can then get them both Extensions as my dependants when we're all back in Thailand.

They can only obtain extensions if you have one !

Update.

Thanks.

They can only obtain extensions if you have one !

I have an Extension of Stay for work. The main point of my question is whether a Laos citizen can get an O visa while in the UK on holiday, or whether she has to return to Thailand/Laos and get the O visa at a Thai Consulate in Laos.

From this page on London embassy website http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/60

"6. The Embassy accepts applications through private tourist agencies in UK. However the applicant who are nationals of Afghanistan, Algeria, Bangladesh, Cambodia, Cuba, China, Egypt, India, Iraq, Iran, Laos, North Korea, Lebanon, Libya, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palestine, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Syria, Vietnam and Yemen

are requested to apply in person at the Thai Embassy where they have their permanent residence."

I suggest you contact the to confirm she cannot get the single entry non-o visa as your dependent. They might make an exception since she is mother of a UK citizen and your wife.

From this page on London embassy website http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/60

"6. The Embassy accepts applications through private tourist agencies in UK. However the applicant who are nationals of Afghanistan, Algeria, Bangladesh, Cambodia, Cuba, China, Egypt, India, Iraq, Iran, Laos, North Korea, Lebanon, Libya, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palestine, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Syria, Vietnam and Yemen

are requested to apply in person at the Thai Embassy where they have their permanent residence."

I suggest you contact the to confirm she cannot get the single entry non-o visa as your dependent. They might make an exception since she is mother of a UK citizen and your wife.

Thanks. I will do that. We'll have to make the trip to London anyway for my sons non-o. Technically her "permanent residence" is in Thailand as she's lived here for around 6 years, doing monthly border runs. But presumably if she can't get a non-o in the UK, she would have to return to Laos and get it in Savannakhet?

Was the baby born in Laos or Thailand? In the back of my mind, I seem to remember the mother of a child born in Thailand could stay here in some circumstances. Others may be able to flesh out the details.

being born to foreign parents living in Thailand means nothing,

That would be a HUGE loop Hole

Does your child's birth certificate mean that he/she is a thai national?

A child can only be Thai if one or both of the parents are Thai

Is that correct? I don't know, but.I remember talking to an American lad in his twenties who was applying for a Non B visa at the Thai embassy in Vientianne about ten years ago.

Both his parents were US nationals, as was he. However, he was born in Thailand, lived here for fifteen years and went to school here so he spoke Thai like a local. He was telling me that although he had a Thai birth certificate, he hadn't in the past persued Thai nationality. He said his application was now being processed. He did say that he was told by a lawyer he probably might succeed, but I don't how accurate that information was.

Was the baby born in Laos or Thailand? In the back of my mind, I seem to remember the mother of a child born in Thailand could stay here in some circumstances. Others may be able to flesh out the details.

being born to foreign parents living in Thailand means nothing,

That would be a HUGE loop Hole

My son can never be Thai. As he was born here, he can stay here visa free until he has to leave the country. When he comes back he will need a visa/extension to stay here, although I understand overstay penalties do not apply to young kids.