To release or not to release

Hey all...

So I am in a bit of a decision stage and would welcome views on users in a simular situation.....

I have two goldens, one male very large (40kg), one female small (12kg)... Leo is 1 year 4 months, Lea just 7 months.

We originally got them when we lived in Sarakham NE Thailand and we had a rented quite a big gated house which they had quite a bit of land yet all fenced so they could not leave the boundries. It was a big enough area for them to run around to some extent and although they wanted out I never let them and took them for two big walks a day.

Since we have moved into a small village in which a year ago I build a small house, we had our son and all is good albeit the garden area is not as big as our last rented place. Now all the village dogs are loose roaming the village... most dogs are quite scared of Leo of our larger dog purely becuase of his abnormal size for a golden (he eats healthy, 2 daily long walks) the vets says he is just built that way.

Now I and the wife try to take them out twice a day for atleast two good runs off the lead around a local quarry and they love it... as I work long hours and the wife is looking after our son we have sometimes resorted to paying a few of the village kids 100 bhat per day to take them out (only if we are really busy and plus they love them both and a good earner for them).

9 times out of 10 it is me that takes them both out, yet as my son is getting older and I want to help out more with him as my wife really is a diamond putting in all her time taking care of him I am wondering should I trial them letting them out in the village to roam free?

All the other dogs in the village obviously roam free... a few of the locals say to me why do you keep them within your house, and really I want them to be more free given we live in the countryside yet they cannot get out unless I take them. One time I did let the smaller golden out on her own she decided to chase some expensive fighting cocks to which the owner was angry with me stating if she killed one of them I would be paying 30k+ upwards (whatever)

I am in two minds.... do I trial them out and release them out hoping after some time they will get used to it and come home on the evening for food/sleep/locked in, or is it a completely stupid idea and they will either get shot my someone or cause big problems.... pls consider these dogs aside from my son are my world and I care for them as best I can.

Question is, would you guys give it ago and let them go out in the day and sniff around roam, or would you keep them how they are staying within out smallish garden?

I would most welcome opinions on those who have dogs in a village who may have originally been in a more urban area yet moved into a village.

I see it as a great shame my two dogs are now living in in such a beutiful rurual area, with acres upon acres of land to sniff around yet aside from when I take them out they are strapped inside. I am aware they may get in scuffles, kill chickens... eat locals food etc but I am sure after a week or so that will settle, or am I wrong? is it a flat out bad idea to release... I have said to my wife id like to try it out for a week, she seems to think its a bad idea, but when I see the other dogs freely strolling by and my two sat in walls I think why not give it a crack. Leo is not the type to chase things, Lea is, both are not aggresive in anyway yet Leo will be if another dog shows aggression towards him.

Not only do I feel it will give my dogs a more free enjoyable life it will mean I can leave my gate open and local friends will come in as and when which as the moment no one will incase of the dogs.... pls do not judge me and please do not hassle me if I you feel I am completely wrong to even consider letting my dogs roam freely, bare in mind I live in the sticks. I have considered GPS trackers etc but really I know my goldens wont go too far, and if they did the next village would give us a call.

Anyone got any views?

Thanks in advance

Edited by ryanhull

I understand your wish for them to stroll about.

It doesn't sound like a good idea. Listen to your wife.

They are retrievers as in birds,,keeping the peace and liability down would be my thought.

Also they could easily disappear and you speak of them highly. Odd to me you would consider putting them out on their own.

Just my thoughts as they are purebreds not soi dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand your wish for them to stroll about.

It doesn't sound like a good idea. Listen to your wife.

They are retrievers as in birds,,keeping the peace and liability down would be my thought.

Also they could easily disappear and you speak of them highly. Odd to me you would consider putting them out on their own.

Just my thoughts as they are purebreds not soi dogs.

Thank you for the reply,

I see your point on them disapearing... although given its a good 10km to the next village I think for the first few days I may be able to ensure they do not.. but it is also risky as you rightly point out.

I am half thinking of giving it a try and hoping they do come back when tired/feeding time, if they did get to the point they came back yet enjoyed the freedom it would be great not only for them but for us to not have to keep them confined. Yet if they did get into any harm I would never forgive myself... it is a really tricky one, we keep them confined looking out on the amazing landscape and other dogs enjoying a free life or we give them a shot of going free during the day time, everyone in the village knows them so its not like people would not understand the new venture but I appreciate your views.

Anyone else ever been in this situation?

Thanks again Martin appreciated.

You're quite welcome and appear sincere so let me elaborate just a little and leave it at that.

By disappear I didn't mean only wander off. My Thai in-laws stopped keeping a family pet dog after theirs "disappeared" and they know it wouldn't wander off and forget to come home.

They are convinced someone took it and they doubt it was taken to be kept as a pet. You don't see soi dogs fed very well like yours too often.

Lastly when I said keeping the peace I meant it wouldn't seem right if your dog killed someone's chicken which you were a little dismissive of saying (whatever).

Personally I would give equal weight to a chicken or your dog and by your indifference towards the ladies chicken I assume you would be OK if someone's pet 200 pound Tiger came in the yard and ate one of your dogs. Even after you'd spoken to them about it.

Please take this well as I am only making the worst case points with you which we always hope won't happen but that's why they sell insurance because you never know.

Best to you.

You're quite welcome and appear sincere so let me elaborate just a little and leave it at that.

By disappear I didn't mean only wander off. My Thai in-laws stopped keeping a family pet dog after theirs "disappeared" and they know it wouldn't wander off and forget to come home.

They are convinced someone took it and they doubt it was taken to be kept as a pet. You don't see soi dogs fed very well like yours too often.

Lastly when I said keeping the peace I meant it wouldn't seem right if your dog killed someone's chicken which you were a little dismissive of saying (whatever).

Personally I would give equal weight to a chicken or your dog and by your indifference towards the ladies chicken I assume you would be OK if someone's pet 200 pound Tiger came in the yard and ate one of your dogs. Even after you'd spoken to them about it.

Please take this well as I am only making the worst case points with you which we always hope won't happen but that's why they sell insurance because you never know.

Best to you.

before our boy came to us,his owner had to go away to work,so they left him with relatives only for him to get loose.

he killed chickens on their land,run with a pack of soi dogs and then disapeared.

my bil.new the owner and asked her if we could have him if he was found YES.

my wife said offer a reward,2days later he was found.

when the bil.brought him to us,he was at deaths door,caught an infection from a dirty bitch that he had been having his end away with,dehydrated,full of tape worms and was very very weak.

the vet put him on a drip and visited him every day,nearly 4yrs.on and he is a fine looking son[see avatar] we have a large garden and he do not go out unless he is on the lead.

so if you love your dogs DO NOT LET THEM RUN LOOSE its hard enough to keep them from all the hidden dangers here[ ticks,snakes,poison,theives]

and thats just a few.

MEATBOY love me love my dog.

Do not let them loose.

If they have any tendency to kill chickens, they will. The owner of the chickens will beat them off (one of mine lost an eye), or poison them. Or they may get stolen or eaten.

I live in the countryside too. Some months ago I was out on a walk with my dog when we met a huge Golden Retriever. Being a friendly beast, he went home with us, and stayed for two days, even though my toy poodle wouldn't let him indoors! My crossbred Shepherd is too old to bother.

The Retriever was in excellent condition, so on the third day, I went back to the area where he had met us. I asked round the villagers there, and they told me where he came from, so I was able to take him back home. But I could equally well have kept him.

Thanks all, read all the responses in detail and appreciated for spending the time... points all taken.

I did however give it a small try today (slap my wrist) whilst I kind of walked behind them to keep an eye, larger dog Leo was fine just sniffing at the other dogs no fighting etc, Lea the smaller one immediatly killed a neighbours chicken and ran around like a nutcase, so I put them both on a lead and carried on as a normal walk.

All the locals here would not harm them in anyway and know them well, infact the village leader loves Leo and comes to see him most days he also has 6 dalmations of his own, they are all in good shape, I can safely say no one would hurt them but the problem is the dogs killing chickens which is not only cruel but would be coming out of my pocket. Also there is Bangkaew breed of dog a few soi`s up which I am told will savage any dog that comes in its path and even humans (its a farm guard dog).

As for ticks, they are everywhere... we have done everything to try and get rid of ticks on our dogs that come in from outside, front line works to some extent but as the other dogs are covered in them they will always come in, I remove ticks from the dogs on a daily basis but there always on the outter coat or dead meaning the front line is doing its job. We have tried a few pill forms EN DEX but although this seemed to work to some extent the Vet and others warned us its bad for them so we only use front line now. Also we found a chemical which you wash the floor with/let it dry outside and it kills ticks but again it will only stop them for so long and to do that every few days would be a task, I guess its another topic one I have posted about before on about how to get rid of ticks and as far as I can see your never going to stop them only front line prevent them from biting the dogs. Other tips such as a tiny bit of garlic in the food will also help but others say its dangerous for dogs all debatable and off topic.

All in all, bad idea and as you guys have pointed out the reasons why, I thought I would just see what happend and now 1 chicken down, although it was an young scraggly looking chicken we will go sort them out with a few hundred bhat later and a bottle of plonk, poor chicken though and I do feel bad.

I was hoping they would walk around get bored and start to relax a bit like the other dogs, not be so confined and kind of enjoy there surroundings (bad idea)... I was considering it to give them a better life but yeah all in all they are staying put now.

Cheers all for the replies

just a thought has lea been nuetered.ours was a bit of a nutter till we had him done,but that calmed down a lot.

the previous yam at our moo-ban used to bring a chicken to work,ours wasnt interested.

just a thought has lea been nuetered.ours was a bit of a nutter till we had him done,but that calmed down a lot.

the previous yam at our moo-ban used to bring a chicken to work,ours wasnt interested.

Hey Mate,

Leo our big male has had the snip a few months back but Lea the younger female not yet, infact she is on her doggy periods now... funny thing is, even though Leo is 'sackless' he still tries to have his way with Lea but she has none of it and although he tries she puts him in his place which is quite funny when you see the size different (see slightly old pic below)... at the time, the main reason Leo got the snip was becuase he would get to horny he would try and hump Lea 24/7 to the point it was starting to drain Lea of energy constantly getting away from him, one night he was trying all night and it got to the point I was worried for Lea so the next day off Leo went to get the snip (see the other pic of him after his op and how happy he looks, not lol)

Good point you raise though and Lea will be in for it next and very soon I think, I do not think it will stop her chasing the chickens to be honest, its almost like she wants to get one of them and bring us it as a gift which I understand is normal for dogs but she really is quick for a Golden and you can tell she genuinly loves the game of 'kill a chicken' which is not funny in reality as its cruel, I mean runs faster than anything I have seen, Leo isnt bothered by anything and really acts like a lazy old guy not that he is old, he gets regular walks and eats healthy but he is so large he isnt that quick and is a much more relaxed dog than Lea and his main interest is in females and food.

p.s I always suspect Leo is so big he is mixed with another breed, e is far too musclar and mastiff looking to me to be a pure golden, what are your thoughts?

Cheers

(when we first got Lea)

m98rur.jpg

(after Leo`s snip - not happy)

2wp7ced.jpg

(size difference - he is even bigger now)

2hnqkux.jpg

Most of the dogs that are allowed to run free where we live sooner or later end up seriously injured or dead from road accidents or becoming infected from other dogs, either by serious fights or disease or by eating things they find laying about in dumped rubbish.

My dogs have been brought up with us on the property and would never let them roam about outside.

Walking dogs is all part of the duties of a responsible dog owner. If you find that a chore, then find them more suitable homes with caring people that can look after the dogs properly.

Most of the dogs that are allowed to run free where we live sooner or later end up seriously injured or dead from road accidents or becoming infected from other dogs, either by serious fights or disease or by eating things they find laying about in dumped rubbish.

My dogs have been brought up with us on the property and would never let them roam about outside.

Walking dogs is all part of the duties of a responsible dog owner. If you find that a chore, then find them more suitable homes with caring people that can look after the dogs properly.

Thanks for your input, I am new to village life so forgive me for considering my original idea... I do however understand walking dogs is a dutie... infact not a dutie something I look forward too each and everyday, I am lucky enough to live near a large dam in which my dogs hop in my car and are able to run/swim free... I love taking them out and they love it... maybe you mis-understand me and almost aim your post as if I find it a chore, and I not think you could find a more caring home for our dogs then our`s thank you.

Only let them run free when you are with them, assuming they will respond to voice commands from you, particularly to return when called.

Everyone in the village might love them now, but everyone also knows they are farang dogs, and therefore not the standard soi dogs which have a social protection, or none at all for repercussions.

I'd definitely say to keep them in the yard for their and your peace of mind. Take them out and let them run only while you are with them and they'll be under your watchful eye.

Goldens, what a wonderful breed! I've raised them here and actually had 23 at one time. Al born in the bathroom, except the first litter which was born in the back seat of my truck on the way from Samui to Nakhon Sawan. They were never on leases except on the rare trip to the vet and had free run with the front door house open - except the young pups. They were nice to me and actually let me sleep and eat in their house as long as I kept it clean and fed them. I live in the last house on a dirt road in farm country and we all took long walks twice a day down the road to a small pond. Occasionally one would come and sit in front of me with the only thing different being a chicken leg and foot sticking out of his mouth. I would tell him to put it down and a baby chick would appear and pop up and run away. They are bred as hunting dogs and have very soft mouths. They would never venture out of the property as it was their territory, but you didn't leave your car door open when you visited because there would be a couple curled up on your seat wanting to go for a ride - they loved riding but I think that it was the air conditioning. I could go on and on for pages as I really miss them. My last one, 12 years old, died in June exactly 3 months to the day and hour after my wife passed who was her best friend. My Avatar says it all.

I would never let dogs roam the streets freely. If people want pets, then they should take care of them. I understand that you take very good care of your dogs. Just my opinion

Since a few Cambodians/Laotians moved to the village, I've noticed a drop in the number of (big) dogs roaming our streets and sois. Something to consider. 40kg of good dog meat must be quite tempting for people who like that kind of thing. Your dogs are probably content with the two good walks a day.