Australian cash exchange rate

Mousehound

I am returning to CM and ask if anyone has changed cash from Aus to Bht in the last day or so. The bank exchange reads just over 25Bht to the dollar but I expect that I would get less in CM when actually exchanging the cash. I can get 23Bht to the dollar in OZ from the Post Office.

I am due to go on the OZ pension in the next few weeks. One little wrinkle is that DepEmployment site states that pensions can be paid to those eligible pensioners living overseas but that the pension will be paid in $US or the currency of the country the pensioner is living in. This would be a problem as I agree with Jimmym40 who posted above that monies are best sent in $A to Thailand and converted locally.

I am due to go on the OZ pension in the next few weeks. One little wrinkle is that DepEmployment site states that pensions can be paid to those eligible pensioners living overseas but that the pension will be paid in $US or the currency of the country the pensioner is living in. This would be a problem as I agree with Jimmym40 who posted above that monies are best sent in $A to Thailand and converted locally.

cobber, do as c/link tells u

as u will get a free t/f smile.png and a very good rate of exchange rates approx 1/3 BAHT to the A.U.D extra to bkk banks rate of the daybiggrin.png

been doing it for 14 yrs plus,trust me cobber

a very nice evening to allbiggrin.png

Never change AUD into THB using an Aussie Bank.

Bring your AUD into LOS via T/T.

I have found BKK Bank VG & they telephoned me if the transfer was substantial. Then they offered a premium.

Nowadays, there are some very competitive money-changers eg (SuperRich???)

I went on the pension 2 1/2 weeks ago

I have money put into Citibank

Then i draw out in Thailand TT rates from Bangkok Bank

Not the buying Rates

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/WebServices/Rates/Pages/FX_Rates.aspx

If you have centrelink transfer to a Thai Bank in Baht a transfer amount will probably be taken out before you get it

I can not clarify on this

I was talking to another Oz fella the other day

He has been her 7 years

Still get his money in a Oz Bank

Transfer only once every 3 months 1 Bank Transfer Amount to pay

You do have options

Up to you what you do

Hope this is of help

I'd love to be on the OAP.

The Oz govt has made it quite difficult for expats.

Go back to Oz for 2 years - stay at Vinnies or the Salvos.

How does the average expat survive during his time of imprisonment?

PO Oz!

I've been living here for 9 years. Draw the pension. I maintain an Oz address and have it paid into my Oz bank. I have to go back at least once every 6 months, but I am committed to doing that anyway, and with forward planning and AirAsia fares the cost is neglible - even get the pension add-ons for the time I'm there plus 6 weeks. Periodically I make a bulk transfer using Bahtsmart and avoid the bank transfer fees. Works for me!

I'd love to be on the OAP.

The Oz govt has made it quite difficult for expats.

Go back to Oz for 2 years - stay at Vinnies or the Salvos.

How does the average expat survive during his time of imprisonment?

PO Oz!

I know of one that came back for two years to qualify and stayed in a caravan as a sort of security guard for a local golf course. He got free lodgings in a nice environment - not a bad deal for a single bloke. Otherwise if I were on my own I would buy a van and tour around slowly - plenty of free stops if you hunt them down.

Looks nearly same as Bangkok Bank

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/WebServices/Rates/Pages/FX_Rates.aspx

Have to remember than you only get the Buying Rates TT with Bank Transfer

Plus the OZ rip off Bank Charge, depending on your bank

This is where they make there money

Still learning how it all works

My Citibank is working fine for me so far

Unless i can get a better rate with No Bank Charges or Fees at the Bangkok Bank

Hopefully more suggestions will come forward

One thing I have noticed over my many trips to CM is that the exchange rate for Travellers Cheques - which I get free of charges in OZ are slightly higher than the exchange rate for cash. I can bring $10A in cash but prefer to use TC as I get the added security as well. This is the only country I have visited where the TC rate is better than cash.

I don't bring any cash with me except for some American money in case I want to travel. I have all my money deposited in Canadian and American bank and get it out by going to the local bank and using my Visa card I then go online and transfer it from my savings account to my Visa. Visa charges the going rate.

My aged pension gets paid into a Credit Union savings account in Australia (far better than banks pays interest, no annual, visa card or hidden fee charges)

I have their visa debit card.I withdraw each month by cash advance at Bangkok Bank,avoids ATM fees.

Just need to provide passport when withdrawing and sign photo copy

Get charged $5 at home for transfer.

The exchange rate I am comfortable with and have internet banking to check all is ok.

Many ways to do it ,its a personal choice. As we all know the $A has tanked and if not for the weak Thai baht it would be

a large hole to be in 25.5b to the $A this morning was 32 not so long ago

Obviously if you go back to oz for a holiday and bring cash,go to a money changer, its better but I am not in a financial situation to do that.

I don't bring any cash with me except for some American money in case I want to travel. I have all my money deposited in Canadian and American bank and get it out by going to the local bank and using my Visa card I then go online and transfer it from my savings account to my Visa. Visa charges the going rate.

You are lucky we do not have any Thai Banks in OZ

That is why my friend suggested Citibank

You are lucky we do not have any Thai Banks in OZ

That is why my friend suggested Citibank

We don't have any in Canada either. Most of my money goes into my Canadian bank. Interest is of no importance to me as I don't have a savings account there. My money is invested else where with power of attorney over it to my son if I pass away.

Like Sparkles I have a debit card with them also a Visa card. In Canada they are separate. I just go to the bank of Siam where I have a Thai account give them my Visa card and get enough money for the month. My Siam account is in both are names in case I was to pass away she would have instant cash not a lot but enough to hold her until my Canadian money reached her. There is no fee what so ever from the bank being as I am over 60 Visa does charge me a $5 fee but I only have to use it once. Where as in the ATMs I would have to use it more than once to get enough for the month.

I can't remember how I got the account with the Siam bank. I at one time had it only in my own name and then decided to add her to the account. I think it differs from branch to branch on how to get an account.

An old mate of mine of 40 years visits CM frequently, since his divorce.

Of Scots extraction he is careful with his money.

He tells me the best rate of exchange is at the Money Changer's located on Loy Khro road where the Old Bell was situated.

john

Archived