Today AIS installed fiber optic to my home and?

johnmcedinghburg

Have you tried downloading a torrent file? What speed are you getting on a torrent file with lots of seeders?

As a rule of thumb, its pretty much always 10 times less than what you see from a speed test, so he should get around 3 mbps speed on a healthy seeded torrent.

I got 5MB/s once on one torrent few days after install on AIS fiber but it feels like after some time they as True throttle torrents so now rarely get over 1MB/s and most of the times a lot less.

But then during the download I connect to a VPN and it instantly jumps to over 1-2MB/s so obviously it is AIS messing with torrent downloads.

Have you tried downloading a torrent file? What speed are you getting on a torrent file with lots of seeders?

As a rule of thumb, its pretty much always 10 times less than what you see from a speed test, so he should get around 3 mbps speed on a healthy seeded torrent.

If you would understand the difference between Megabytes and Megabits, you would know that from a healthy seeded torrent he will get exactly the same as his speedtest results.

Perhaps your confusing MB/s and Mb/s.. I get about >3.5 MB/s on torrent files on a 30 Mb/s line... As I should as theres 8x as many megabits and megabytes.

Will likely be good as long as they don't have many subscribers. If they pick up the "good service" that good service is over.

We got TOT here installing fiber in the whole Moo Baan, without having a single sub. Then they started distributing flyers. Took it up as True DSL sucked big time and so far there are not many more when checking the distribution boxes. Still, TOT service is often not up to the standards, but others are still worse.

Ping 248ms? What did you ping? Does your actual internet use "feel" fast?

Yes that ping is outragous i used to get that amount 5 years ago on kee kneeow line now i have been using true after using TOT then 3bb who all whored out there lines got true got 30 mb downloads or sometimes 4.5 mb , been in Thailand 21 years trues actually works, for me anyways, is trial & error good luck in your location, my ping is F---all

That's the rule of thumb I use too.

For anyone not familiar, 8 bits = 1 Byte, so if you divide by 8 as an absolute, but then factor in the protocol handshaking, latency of propagation etc, dividing by 10 is a good rule of thumb.

There's been a bit of talk on here about internet performance over recent weeks, and my experience seems to be DNS look up table delays more than actual throughput. I have a cable (not fibre) 30Mbit package (via "True" lol), and I wonder sometimes if it's not the connection that is the issue, but that sites like torrents aren't able to deliver, and capacity is left spare (or at least capacity internal to Thailand rather than International). The best results seem to come from not only having lots of seeders, but also lack of demand (i.e. not the latest movie, but maybe last years glory production).

Yes that ping is outragous...

You should have read the original posting. That ist the time to a server on the other side of the world. Not your cached provider server.

For real measurements better use testmy.net

I get sub 100 ping with SINET why is the OP boasting about 248?

To where?

If to Bangkok it's slow.

If to Bangkok claiming to be abroad it's fake.

If to US phone the scientists since light is officially faster than the speed of light!

If to Europe you must have a billion dollar direct cable or be exceeding speed of light.

To where?

If to Bangkok it's slow.

If to US phone the scientists since light is officially faster than the speed of light!

If to Europe you must have a billion dollar direct cable or be exceeding speed of light.

I have a VPN outside of Thailand mostly Hong Kong but I'd have to check more thoroughly

edit:

ok to Makati, Philippines tonight it's 107ms through a VPN

Just tried Europe and I confess it's 422ms through a VPN

Turn off VPN and it's 88ms to Quezon City, Philippines

Edited by LannaGuy

Perhaps your confusing MB/s and Mb/s.. I get about >3.5 MB/s on torrent files on a 30 Mb/s line... As I should as theres 8x as many megabits and megabytes.

I am getting Baud with all this!

To where?

If to Bangkok it's slow.

Your maths is a bit out.

Speed of light = 299,792,458 m/s = 299,792.458 km/s, i.e. it can travel 29,979 kilometres in 100 milliseconds. I don't think Europe is that far from Thailand.

My maths is correct. You are missing the overhead of each junction...

Why I said us is faster than speed of light but Europe not necessarily.

But faster than practical limits indeed unless you have a direct cable.

40ms is about speed of light. 80ms round trip ie ping (London). 100ms unfeasible.

3BB actually has about the same ping rate for an equivalent distance (though to a server in BKK it's much lower).

Here's a test using an Amsterdam server for comparison- I've got their basic fiber optic package, and will see about 30Mb/s to a local server:

image.png

And to BKK- notice the huge ping rate disparity:

image.png

Edited by flare