Lapping compound / grinding paste

I need to sharpen the reel on my lawnmower and want to buy some lapping compound / grinding paste. Does anybody know what's this called in Thai? I assume I can buy it at DuHome or HomePro.

Thanking you in advance.

Lapping compound = Carborundum Paste (Valve Compound) ?

That would be:

กากเพชรบดวาล์ว

กากเพชรบดวาล์ว = gàak pét bòt waao (RTGS: kakphet bot wao)

Pictures for this term:

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%81%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%9E%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%94&biw=1280&bih=887&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMIqYi1__GoyAIVTpGOCh2bhwVi

Edited by KhunBENQ

I sharpened many a lawn mower and never used anything more exotic than lamp oil and a good sharpening stone, you can shave with the blade when I have finished.

Why is this in the pets' forum, are you planning to decimate your rabbits or something?

Just seen that my post from yesterday (name in Thai) resurfaced thumbsup.gif

Are you sure about that? I can't see the topic, or the reply that I also posted there.

I mean my post #2 in this thread. Someone must have moved it there this morning.

The thread from Thai language forum is indeed vanished/hidden (as a "double thread").

Some mistake.

So I guess your answer/post is also lost/hidden?

Quite confusing.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I sharpened many a lawn mower and never used anything more exotic than lamp oil and a good sharpening stone, you can shave with the blade when I have finished.

Why is this in the pets' forum, are you planning to decimate your rabbits or something?

I thought the "Plants, gardening, animals etc." forum might be the right place to post this. I also posted the same question in the Thai language forum, but that seems to have been deleted.

I'll keep the lamp oil and sharpening stone in mind. Thanks.

Lapping compound will be found in parts stores. What it is called in Thai, I have no idea.

Thanks, I've asked in many hardware stores in and around Korat, but to no avail. But, tomorrow is another day and I still have a few more stores to go...

Wrong forum,

But the blade from a lawnmower should not be razor blade sharp. The blade is very fast serious damaged then. It should just be able to remove the top of your nail, when you scrape it over it.

Same as the blade from an axe, is more blunt then sharp. As you know you can cut grass with a nylon wire from two mm diameter. This is also not sharp.

Thanks, but I don't think I'll be using nylon wire to mow 24 m2 of lawn. Then the neighbours will really think that the falang is "baa" (บ้า). cheesy.gif

Wrong forum,

But the blade from a lawnmower should not be razor blade sharp. The blade is very fast serious damaged then. It should just be able to remove the top of your nail, when you scrape it over it.

Same as the blade from an axe, is more blunt then sharp. As you know you can cut grass with a nylon wire from two mm diameter. This is also not sharp.

Thanks, but I don't think I'll be using nylon wire to mow 24 m2 of lawn. Then the neighbours will really think that the falang is "baa" (บ้า). cheesy.gif

Understood. I mentioned it only to make clear that a blade for grass cutting does not need to be razor blade sharp. When it is razor blade sharp I am sure it cuts very nice and easy. But only for a very short time. And then it cuts worser then a blade sharpened with the right cutting angle. (Different from metal/wood cutting tools, a gras cutting blade requires only a right cutting angle) I sharpen my one always by hand. My guess is a cutting angle from around 35 degrees. A few strokes with a sharpening stone on the other side from the blade and you are ready to go. Do not worry much about small (3-6mm) damages on the blade. You will not notice them during grass cutting.

Enjoy grass cutting!

By the way, I wish I had 24 square meter of lawn.. the smallest I have is around 400 square meter. Totally I have around 2000 square meter lawn to maintain. I use different kinds of lawn mowers. Unfortunately not a "ride on" model yet.

Arjen

Thanks for the tips. It's always good to learn something new.

I bought a file a few days ago but then happened to stumble across alternative methods of "maintaining" my reel mower. The grass in one particular part of the lawn is so thick that the mower doesn't actually cut the grass blades - the grass actually clogs up the lawnmower and this results in the grass being pulled out in tufts.

Good luck with that 2,000 m2 lawn of yours... lots of mowing.

Wrong forum,

I never said it should be sharpened to an angle that would be like that of a razor. Sharp is sharp. My chisels are all at 22°. My axe is at a bit more. You can shave with them.

Wrong forum,

I never said it should be sharpened to an angle that would be like that of a razor. Sharp is sharp. My chisels are all at 22°. My axe is at a bit more. You can shave with them.

Yes you are right. I interpreted wrong. Apologies!

But shaving with an axe???? I do not know. Sound impossible to me.

Plenty of stuff on Youtube, A macho thing but it works. The quality of the steel is important.

Two things are important. Cutting speed and cutting angle. Roughly you can say when the cutting speed is low (cutting meat with a knife, razor your skin) you need a small angle. Cutting with a low speed means the material you cut is cutted with the most sharp part from your cutting tool. The very very end of it.

When cutting speed is increased the material you are cutting does not touch the sharp part from your cutting tool at all. That is why an axe is very "blunt". Also the cutting tools on a lathe do not feel "sharp" at all.

When your grass is pulled out with the root, my guess is your cutting speed is far to high for the sharp cutting tool you use. Reduce the speed from your blade or reduce cutting angle. (Make it less sharp.)

Traffic can't get through

Good luck!

Mowed the lawn today before the big downpour. Mowed the thick spot much slower and the cut was much better (still not 100% to my satisfaction, but it looks better). Thanks for the tip!