Urgent: 30 Day Stamp And Return Ticket After 50 Days

Hi there. Reading this site got me worried.

I am going to Thailand next week for a 7 week holiday.

I plan to visit Laos or Cambodia (applying for a visa in Bangkok) after staying 3 or 4 weeks in Thailand, and coming back to Thailand to catch my return flight.

I did this before. I never had any problems getting allowed on the flight to Thailand (without a visa for possible 7 week stay) or at the Thai immigration. I never overstayd my 30 days, went to Laos or Cambodia, and got a new 30-day stamp at the border.

What has changed for me?

Some posters seem convinced that I will not be allowed to board my flight to Thailand because I don't have a visa for the full 7 weeks. Is this a consequence of the new visa rules?

Should I RUN to the Thai embassy to try to get a visa.

My time is running out here. Could anyone shed some light????

buy a 1way cheapie ticket on air asia - problem solved. :o
...but a single-entry tourist visa will likely cost less than this cheapie ticket plus Cambodia/Laos visa fee plus border run trip expense.

---------------

Maestro

Yeah, the issue is the airline.

They can deny boarding because they don't want any liability to pay your flight back if denied entry into Thailand (which obviously they know little about if they think your situation would be a problem, but thats another story).

It would be safer to arrive with either an air ticket out under 30 days or a tourist visa. You can take a chance and it worked for you before, just be aware you are taking a chance.

You didn't say where you are flying from, but I have a tip. If coming from the US and transferring to another city in the US before flying to Asia, if you can do self check in with an eticket, it is less likely any human agent will peruse your passport or ask any questions.

Edited by Thaiquila

buy a 1way cheapie ticket on air asia - problem solved. :o
...but a single-entry tourist visa will likely cost less than this cheapie ticket plus Cambodia/Laos visa fee plus border run trip expense.

---------------

Maestro

OP said less than a week, so I quite imagine visa route might be out, at this late in the game. :D

Thank you for your answers.

As I fly from Brussels with BA, I phoned their help-desk. Someone from a callcenter read me a standard answer that stated that, in this case, I needed a visa . When I asked if BA would refuse me to board the flight without a visa, she told me 'It's possible'. When I told her that I did this many times before and I never was refused boarding, she repeated her standard answer.....

So, to be on the safe side, I think I better apply for a 30 euro 'single entry visa' on monday (takes about 3 days so thats OK). Upon returning from Laos I will ask for a 30 day stamp.

I will keep following this site to read the adventures of my fellow travellers.

Thanks for your help!

I plan to visit Laos or Cambodia (applying for a visa in Bangkok) after staying 3 or 4 weeks in Thailand, and coming back to Thailand to catch my return flight.

I did this before. I never had any problems getting allowed on the flight to Thailand (without a visa for possible 7 week stay) or at the Thai immigration. I never overstayd my 30 days, went to Laos or Cambodia, and got a new 30-day stamp at the border.

What has changed for me?

Some posters seem convinced that I will not be allowed to board my flight to Thailand because I don't have a visa for the full 7 weeks. Is this a consequence of the new visa rules?

I do not think that you will have any problems with the visa. After arriving in Thailand you will get a Visa on Arrival for 30 days. That is 4 weeks. After that you can extend twice for another 30 days (equals 2 x 4 weeks) with a visa run to the border so totally you will get 90 days in Thailand with a Tourist Visa. After that you will have to return to your country or anywhere else and are only allowed to enter Thailand after another 90 days.

And if you travel from, let's say Cambodia or Laos via Thailand to Europe, you do not need any visa, provided you have a connecting flight from there to Europe. Just check your baggage through and then you can stay in the transit area and never have to show your passport to the Thai Authorities.

So there should be no problems at all.

Chok dee khrap, Good luck to you!

Carlos

if you can do self check in with an eticket, it is less likely any human agent will peruse your passport or ask any questions.

Don't think this would work. Etickets domestically are fine. But at some point your ticket has to indicate 'documents checked' if you're flying internationally. So, an agent has to intervene at some point to issue the ticket getting you over the large pond.

If you're going to be denied boarding because of no return ticket out of Thailand, I would think this would be better found out at your homeplate, not on the opposite Coast.

I do not think that you will have any problems with the visa. After arriving in Thailand you will get a Visa on Arrival for 30 days. That is 4 weeks. After that you can extend twice for another 30 days (equals 2 x 4 weeks) with a visa run to the border so totally you will get 90 days in Thailand with a Tourist Visa. After that you will have to return to your country or anywhere else and are only allowed to enter Thailand after another 90 days.

Carlos, our OP is travelling with British Airways! BA are notorious for not permitting boarding for passengers without either onward air travel within 30 days or a visa of some sort :o

As previously indicated, immigration is never a problem, the airline check-in person often is!

if you can do self check in with an eticket, it is less likely any human agent will peruse your passport or ask any questions.

Don't think this would work. Etickets domestically are fine. But at some point your ticket has to indicate 'documents checked' if you're flying internationally. So, an agent has to intervene at some point to issue the ticket getting you over the large pond.

If you're going to be denied boarding because of no return ticket out of Thailand, I would think this would be better found out at your homeplate, not on the opposite Coast.

I never implied it would always work.

On a trip last year I checked in this way (and had a visa) but nobody EVER looked at my passport or asked any questions. The return was five months out.

Northwest Airlines. The people that had helping auto checkins seemed less competent basically. Just my experience.

Edited by Thaiquila

What has changed for me?

And if you travel from, let's say Cambodia or Laos via Thailand to Europe, you do not need any visa, provided you have a connecting flight from there to Europe. Just check your baggage through and then you can stay in the transit area and never have to show your passport to the Thai Authorities.

So there should be no problems at all.

Chok dee khrap, Good luck to you!

Carlos

The maximum extension of a 30 day permit is 10 days only. It costs 1900 baht. The easy option is to get a Tourist Visa before entry to Thailand.