American falls from 16th floor Pattaya Beach condominium

webfact

RIP... how do you fall from a balcony? Thought they had railings to prevent this.

Often knee high.

Often rusty or broken.

Often tiled balconies.

Big rainstorms around lately.

There was a newsreport a few years ago of a hotel balcony railing snapping, and the person plunged to their death.

It came out that two previous customers had complained about it to the hotel management....

Welcome to Thai Duty of Care.

Alai wa?

Rest in Peace to this young man, whatever happened.

So, 2 people complained that the railing was dangerous, but did nothing about it other than complain. Why are people so pathetic these days?

Were they unable to go to one of the many, many hardware stores and buy some steel pipe to put across the gap? The store would even cut it to length if asked. An electric drill costs under 1000 baht and clamps, screws and rawl plugs are in any Homepro or suchlike. It's not difficult to drill a few holes and screw the pipe to the wall.

Expecting management in LOS to do anything is a bit silly, as TiT.

PS I know management SHOULD do something, but obviously in that case they wouldn't.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RIP... how do you fall from a balcony? Thought they had railings to prevent this.

Often knee high.

Often rusty or broken.

Often tiled balconies.

There was a newsreport a few years ago of a hotel balcony railing snapping, and the person plunged to their death.

It came out that two previous customers had complained about it to the hotel management....

Alai wa?

So, 2 people complained that the railing was dangerous, but did nothing about it other than complain. Why are people so pathetic these days?

Were they unable to go to one of the many, many hardware stores and buy some steel pipe to put across the gap? The store would even cut it to length if asked. An electric drill costs under 1000 baht and clamps, screws and rawl plugs are in any Homepro or suchlike. It's not difficult to drill a few holes and screw the pipe to the wall.

PS I know management SHOULD do something, but obviously in that case they wouldn't.

Tourists here on holiday, staying in a hotel?

Going to go to a DIY Hardware store to buy an electric drill and get stuck into manually repairing a loose rusty railing in the hotel?

cheesy.gif

A man and his barboy and people jump to conclusions.........................maybe he forgot to take a medicine?

Why does this post make speculations about a) the nature of the relationship ('barboy'), or b] the adherence to medication? Is this not 'jumping to conclusions'?

Ye s i am jumping to conclusion. But my jump is valid. If not a barboy then what? hhahahahaha.

Thai balconies do have a railing or a "wall" to prevent people to test gravity.

Unfortunately, most balcony-security walls/railings are 10-15 cm too low.

Too low compared to what??

Most condos have railing at the same height as the European norm: 110 cm

Most recent condos have a higher railing.

Maybe you are just too tall for the norms... rolleyes.gif

In all seriousness there should be some kind of 911 number for those who are so depressed and thinking of taking their own life. This is not a joking matter. It seems suicides happen every two weeks in Pattaya-- we all know the reasons: financial; broken heart; poor health; aging... Most "farangs" come here alone so there is no support system of family or even true friends to get emotional support, whereas back in our home countries we not only have family or friends but professional counselors that can re-direct our moments of depression. (If I my profession was in psychology this would be a great place to retire and open up a part time office.)

I agree with your sentiments as suicide is quite common here. In addition people who suffer from mental illness do not always continue to take prescribed medicines leading to extremely odd behaviour sometimes bringing about injury to themselves and possibly others. But what to do?

It's difficult at the best of times to quickly find access to medical or psychiatric professionals anywhere in the world and it's no different here. Quick response for cries of help is what is needed for unwell people but consider the barriers such as language. More than 100 nationalities come to Thailand every year e.g. French, Italian, German English, Americans et al. The HELP response teams would have to have a diverse range of language experts on hand for just such an emergency. Perhaps one way to assist those affected would be for hotels, resorts etc to have a HELP line stuck on the wall linked to a local hospital or foyer that could be linked to a professional practitioner in a local clinic. Unfortunately there's no easy answer for this serious problem.

Often knee high.

Often rusty or broken.

Often tiled balconies.

Alai wa?

Tourists here on holiday, staying in a hotel?

Going to go to a DIY Hardware store to buy an electric drill and get stuck into manually repairing a loose rusty railing in the hotel?

cheesy.gif

Ah. You are correct. I had assumed it was in a condo, but on re reading the post it was in an hotel.

However, if an hotel guest is that concerned, they should insist on moving rooms, or change hotels.

I wouldn't stay in a dangerous room, and I do check before paying agreeing to stay in any hotel.

In all seriousness there should be some kind of 911 number for those who are so depressed and thinking of taking their own life. This is not a joking matter. It seems suicides happen every two weeks in Pattaya-- we all know the reasons: financial; broken heart; poor health; aging... Most "farangs" come here alone so there is no support system of family or even true friends to get emotional support, whereas back in our home countries we not only have family or friends but professional counselors that can re-direct our moments of depression. (If I my profession was in psychology this would be a great place to retire and open up a part time office.)

I agree with your sentiments as suicide is quite common here. In addition people who suffer from mental illness do not always continue to take prescribed medicines leading to extremely odd behaviour sometimes bringing about injury to themselves and possibly others. But what to do?

It's difficult at the best of times to quickly find access to medical or psychiatric professionals anywhere in the world and it's no different here. Quick response for cries of help is what is needed for unwell people but consider the barriers such as language. More than 100 nationalities come to Thailand every year e.g. French, Italian, German English, Americans et al. The HELP response teams would have to have a diverse range of language experts on hand for just such an emergency. Perhaps one way to assist those affected would be for hotels, resorts etc to have a HELP line stuck on the wall linked to a local hospital or foyer that could be linked to a professional practitioner in a local clinic. Unfortunately there's no easy answer for this serious problem.

I've said it in a previous reply, but again. IMO most of the suicides would be because the jumper is faced with having to go home to nothing, and prefers death to that. It's not because they are mentally disturbed.

Ergo, they wouldn't use the hotline anyway.

BTW, who do you see as being responsible for setting it up and paying for it? The jumper isn't going to pay, because he is broke.

• 2 weeks later...

I just read that people who take anti despressants have 6.7 times more chance to commit suicide then people who don't take them at all.

I just read that people who take anti despressants have 6.7 times more chance to commit suicide then people who don't take them at all.

Yes. The side effects of some are that they might cause worse depression than that being treated. One such that could be bought over the counter in LOS is banned in some countries because it is so dangerous.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

• 1 year later...
On 06/10/2015 at 7:44 AM, yankee99 said:

RIP... how do you fall from a balcony? Thought they had railings to prevent this. I guess one could be pushed or jump. A shame such a young age.

Most railings are not high enough.  They are only hip height.  They should be at least 6 feet. 

On 10/6/2015 at 8:34 AM, toenail said:

why should a guy coming to Pattaya not have family or friends, ridiculous statement.

On 06/10/2015 at 8:51 AM, NextStationBangkok said:

Thailand seriously need a Farang suicide prevention help line to prevent such deaths. Especially those Farangs who are have over ripped-off by the girls and their family ,asking all the time "Mony Mony".

Every day we see this sort of thing and it getting worse

sad for Thailand as it turning into a grave yard

TAT must be working hard and even harder Very soon????

RIP Young Man

On Tuesday, October 06, 2015 at 0:24 PM, godden said:

Another victim of the Pattaya flying club, perhaps TAT could do some thing about the height of railings on balconies R.I.P young guy.

They could be 2 meters high and still couldnt stop the pattaya personal paragliding continuing.

On 06/10/2015 at 10:54 AM, oneday said:

No, no, no...they must stamp it as a suicide and then the can move on.

R.I.P. Mr. Ortiz

You may call all these deaths as suicide, police in most other countries would call it murder, is there a Thai word for murder, police RTP here would never know one I am sure

You may call all these deaths as suicide, police in most other countries would call it murder, is there a Thai word for murder, police RTP here would never know one I am sure

So who is operating this murder squads around Thailand, throwing unsuspecting foreigners off from high rises on an almost daily basis [emoji15]?

In most cases its accidental and in the rest it's suicide... Nothing more to it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app