Where to go for pid term (School break)?

jdlancaster

Well, pid term is upon us and I am not sure where I should go. I am thinking of touring on my scooter (110cc Honda click 555). A little background, I am 32, a teacher, don't have loads of cash, but can speak, read, and write Thai. I have two segments of time open to me, one 8 day and one 7 day span. One of these, my German friend will be visiting and he doesn't speak Thai and isn't familiar with northern Thailand, the other I will go alone. I live in Phrae and will be venturing out from there. I have already been to Nan, Lampang, Uttaradit, Phitsanulok, Sukhothai, Kwan Phayao, and have done Chiang Mai to death. I've also been to Chiang Rai, but it was a short amount of time with students. Anyone have any recommended routes; i am trying to see something new?

The national parks around Ubon are quite nice...just watch your self ...the trucks on the road late afternoon and after dark will not be caring who they run over and leave in the ditch. But Stop off there and see the sights..nice waterfalls and cave art...then head into Ubon at night for a peaceful meal and a brew.

In the North it is more about the roads than the destinations in my opinion. I would probably leave Phrae and head back toward Nan. Do the 1081 loop and then take the 1148 to Chiang Kham. From there stop by Phu Sang Waterfall and continue on the 1093 to Phu Chi Fa and Doi Pha Tang. Maybe continue north on the 1155 to Chiang Khong. Follow the 1129 along the river to Chiang Saen. From there you could continue along the river or cut over toward highway 1 and up to Mae Fa Luang Garden. You can take the back road 1338 to Mae Salong from there. Instead of heading into Chiang Rai from there, take the 107 and visit Doi Angkhang near Fang. At that point, if not before, you will be ready to head home.

I have ridden all the northern roads on a Ninja 650 and four wheel drive and personally consider a scooter too small and dangerous. Power, suspension, brakes and tires are pushed to the limit on these roads so you are taking a big risk. That said, there are people who do it and survive, while claiming it is fun. Be adventurous, be safe and have fun.

It may be too far but Kanchanaburi area is quite nice - Erawan Waterfalls etc… and all the attractions - you might be a couple of days in getting there and back but have a few days to tour the area..

If not, take out a map and draw a circle as to km limits - then choose… Villagefarang has mapped out a great route for CR,.

Touring on a scooter ! Good luck

Why not ?

Read the post of Villagefarang above;

And about me, I do some tours from my village in E-San , everywhere in Thailand , Lao, Kamen ( Cambodia) , Vietnam on my MTB, my motor is my legs and my mind .

From Phrae, where there is a nice " Free Thai " museum ; do u visit it already ? ;

it's free for everybody, thai and farang .

you can go to Chiang Rai province and do what Villagefarang suggests to u .or do some other ( often bad ) roads.; for example n* 1149 from mae Sai to Doi Tung ;

road in poor condition and narrow but stunning sceneries .

If you can go to my Flickr gallery;

have a look at my Chiang Rai album

https://www.flickr.com/photos/53115463@N06/albums/72157658977647299

Mae Salong tea plantations

21288334833_2825b4039c_b.jpg

Mae Salong from Santi Kiri Wat

21285198824_be19465df4_b.jpg

Santi Kiri Wat

21881807896_966c07d8e9_b.jpg

I went there many times with my mountain bike; it's sometimes difficult, great percentages !! But so beautiful .

Archived