Married in UK - need/how to change last name?

My Thai wife and I have been in the UK on a settlement visa (fiance visa) for 3 months, this visa expires in January 2016. We have just married in the UK (we were not married in Thailand previously).

While we are in the UK, can my wife change her last name now? If so, how?

Would she have to change or update her Thai passport? if so, how can we do this when we are in the UK and about to apply for a visa here?

Also, if her current fiance visa expires in January, when would we have to submit the application for the Spouse visa?

Thanks in advance for replies.

There is no legal requirement in both Thailand and the UK for a wife to take her husband's surname upon marriage.

In the UK she can even use both if she wishes, e.g. Cherie Booth/Blair, as long as there is no intention to deceive.

The commercial site Majic has linked to is irrelevant in your wife's case.

From Gov.uk

Marriage and civil partnership

You don’t need a deed poll to take your partner’s surname. Send a copy of your marriage or civil partnership certificate to record-holders, eg benefits offices. Your documents will be updated for free.

Changing your name: the dos and don'ts may be of interest as well.

Changing your name after marriage or a civil partnership

Your marriage or civil partnership certificate does not in any way indicate the surname you'll have after the ceremony, yet you can use it to prove you have changed your name.

To change your surname to your spouse or civil partner's surname (or to double-barrel your joint surnames) on your passport or driving licence you need to fill in the relevant forms requesting the change and present your marriage certificate.

Financial institutions, such as banks and building societies – should also accept your marriage certificate as proof you have taken your partner's surname if you are a married woman or civil partner.

Certainly, when applying for Further Leave to Remain (not a spouse visa) UKVI will accept the marriage certificate as evidence of her new name.

Not so sure about Thailand.

We married in Thailand and my wife changed her ID card at her local ampur; but from this page (English version, Thai version) it seems that your wife can do so at the Thai embassy.

I think that she can change her passport at the same time, but my wife waited until she renewed hers; indeed at one time she had, for a brief period, a British passport in her married name and a Thai passport in her maiden one!

I suggest that your wife contacts the embassy to make sure of the requirements etc., and also whether she can do it at a consulate if one of those is nearer to you than London.

With regard to her FLR application; she makes that anytime after the wedding and before her current fiance visa expires. No need to change her passport first.

Read the FLR(M) form carefully; it is used for several categories and not all of it will be relevant to her.

• Like 1