Not My Computer

billzant

Dear Forum,

This is not my computer as can be seen on the product label on the base of the computer.

product name: Compaq nx7010

product number: PK367PA#UUF

Serial Number: CND5010MQX

Source - HP Help and Support Centre for my computer

What happened is that I took the computer in to HP Silom and there was a fault on the mother board. They didn’t take my recovery disks, and used their own when they put the new mother board in.

Everything seems to work fine except I have been unable to connect my two computers by Bluetooth, I had set that up before the power fault that led to the mother board being changed. The message is incorrect permissions.

Now maybe it doesn’t matter, I don’t know. And I don’t want to format C just to use the correct discs. I couldn’t anyway; I have two sets of discs and I don’t know which set belongs to which computer.

I have written to the HP forum as to whether this matters and got no answer. I would like to know. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Hope you are keeping well,

All the Best

Bill Z

Download and install Belarc Advisor to read what's is inside the PC, from there you should be able to figure out what has been installed into your PC by the HP service center.

I'm no IT expert, and this program was recommended by our helpful IT members.

Hope this will help in solving your problem.

Edited by Thaising

Everything seems to work fine except I have been unable to connect my two computers by Bluetooth, I had set that up before the power fault that led to the mother board being changed. The message is incorrect permissions.

Usually two Bluetooth devices need to be 'paired' in order to communicate, this is a security feature which prevents any random person from coming within range of your Bluetooth device and accessing it.

If the operating system has been replaced, you'll need to set up the pairing between this notebook and your other computer. Run the bluetooth software on the notebook, if it can see your other computer then find the option to pair the device and follow the instructions, you'll probably need to enter a code on the notebook and then enter the same code on the other computer.

Usually two Bluetooth devices need to be 'paired' in order to communicate, this is a security feature which prevents any random person from coming within range of your Bluetooth device and accessing it.

If the operating system has been replaced, you'll need to set up the pairing between this notebook and your other computer. Run the bluetooth software on the notebook, if it can see your other computer then find the option to pair the device and follow the instructions, you'll probably need to enter a code on the notebook and then enter the same code on the other computer.

Dear Silvero,

I had removed Bluetooth by HP from the other machine so reinstalled it. I setup file transfer on both computers and paired the computers.

All seemed to go very well, and I thought I was going to have to eat humble pie. I dragged and dropped the icon from one exchange folder to the other, and I could see the icon in the folder I was moving to. And then it was slow - and then the message incorrect permissions.

I wish I did have to eat humble pie!!

Hope you are keeping well,

All the Best

Bill Z

Perhaps I misunderstood your problem!

You will have two sets of permissions to deal with, the Windows NTFS file permissions and the Bluetooth software's settings, and it may depend on the transfer method as to how you need to deal with it.

I haven't used HP's Bluetooth software, but with the software on my notebook you would probably use the File Exchange service or Personal Area Networking.

With the File Exchange service you designate a shared folder on each machine, with other paired devices can access remotely. On my machine you use the Bluetooth application to open an explorer-like window to access it, and not Windows explorer. The Bluetooth application can set Read or Read/Write permissions for the folder, and the Windows NTFS file permissions should not be a problem if you are running as an Administrator.

If you are using Personal Area Networking as the communication method, all the Bluetooth connection will do is let your computer 'see' the other computer as being on a LAN. If you use this method you will actually be using Windows file sharing so you'll need to set up a shared folder in Windows just like a wired LAN. There's some info on setting up Windows file sharing here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040

I hope this is relevant to your software!