Returning to BKK - Is there anything worth seeing I haven't already done?

alt

Although it's going thru a serious "modernization" phase, Klong Toey Market continues to exist as a microcosm of Bangkok. It's the largest open air fresh market in the country. Just walking through, watching porters move product from vendors to Tuk Tuks and cars..., pretty cool to see. Great photo opps too.

Great idea and beside the BTS, as i'll be visiting the Christian Centre there i'll make sure to wander round the market. I'm not a photo guy, but I do enjoy taking them, even if they're basic

Might also want to visit W District And Hof Art Space. Take BTS Sukhumvit line to Phra Kanong, get off on north side and walk east about 300 meters. Great architecture area and there's a food court with many vendors offering food of all kinds.

http://www.hof-artbangkok.com/index_hof.php

Thanks smile.png

"Visited my pen-pal in BangKwang (and will be doing that again)"

How do you go about visiting ?

What can you bring in and what can you not ?

Different times for different nationalities ?

Would like to visit a few Americans see if they want something reasonable

to get them through the day. Books,pens,paper,envolopes stamps ok ?Food ok ? Asprin

toothpaste,soap,shampoo etc OK ? Candy ? yeast,hops,sugar ;)

thanks

.bridget-jones-am-rande-des-wahnsinns-01.

"Visited my pen-pal in BangKwang (and will be doing that again)"

How do you go about visiting ?

What can you bring in and what can you not ?

Different times for different nationalities ?

Would like to visit a few Americans see if they want something reasonable

to get them through the day. Books,pens,paper,envolopes stamps ok ?Food ok ? Asprin

toothpaste,soap,shampoo etc OK ? Candy ? yeast,hops,sugar wink.png

thanks

Hi 50,

Depends on what building they're in. My PP is in Building 5, so I can visit him on either Tuedays or Thursdays.

There are allocated slots. Basically, you turn up as early as possible (the latest you can show up for registration is 1:30pm, for the 2:30pm slot, I think). But inmates are only allowed 1 visitor per day, so best to get there no later than 10am.

I don't think there are any Americans in there right now (that could have changed since last year)

You cannot bring anything in to them, absolutily zilch. What you can do is deposit money into their prison bank account (a surprisingly honest system), where they can spent up to 300 baht per day in the prison shop. This was introduced as there was too many banned items getting smuggled in.

Chinatown at night was one thing that felt new and different to me when i tired of bkk.

There's a lot of nooks and crannies in there you can get lost in. Prefer it to nana or anywhere near sukhumvit now, probably always did.

Chinatown at night was one thing that felt new and different to me when i tired of bkk.

There's a lot of nooks and crannies in there you can get lost in. Prefer it to nana or anywhere near sukhumvit now, probably always did.

What time does Chinatown shut down? I remember getting a taxi through there one night and it was like a ghost town, I certainly wouldn't have liked to be walking through there.

Maybe a bit radical for the OP, but have you considered getting out of Bangkok entirely? Travelling north or south or whatever direction and staying out of BKK. There's obviously much more to LOS than being based in the metropolis.

Give it a try.

We'll have about 5-6 days in BKK out of a 1 month trip. We are going straight to Kanchanaburi once we arrive (1 night in BKK). We have already been up North on our previous trips, and the rest of our time on this trip will be spent island hopping... flying into Hat Yai over to Lipe and island hopping from there up, eventually coming back to BKK.

We will be spending a day or two in BKK as it'll be our hub... I am dedicating 2 days there to visit my PP in BangKwang and to also visit a charity organisation in Klong Toey... meaning I pretty much have a full day (possibly more) to spare, hence wouldn't mind doing something I haven't already done.

Go down to Pattaya, Take a day trip to Ayuthya , Kanchanaburi =River Quai Ask hotel about day tours

Thanks for the advise re. Ayutha, I think that'll be on the cards.

We've already done Pattaya (spent a night there before flying out) - it was an experience alright!

Kanchanaburi - Already have 3 nights booked there :)

Maybe a bit radical for the OP, but have you considered getting out of Bangkok entirely? Travelling north or south or whatever direction and staying out of BKK. There's obviously much more to LOS than being based in the metropolis.

Give it a try.

We'll have about 5-6 days in BKK out of a 1 month trip. We are going straight to Kanchanaburi once we arrive (1 night in BKK). We have already been up North on our previous trips, and the rest of our time on this trip will be spent island hopping... flying into Hat Yai over to Lipe and island hopping from there up, eventually coming back to BKK.

We will be spending a day or two in BKK as it'll be our hub... I am dedicating 2 days there to visit my PP in BangKwang and to also visit a charity organisation in Klong Toey... meaning I pretty much have a full day (possibly more) to spare, hence wouldn't mind doing something I haven't already done.

A full day to spare?

Sleep in and go out for a beer.

Stop rushing around and trying to 'do everything'.

Give it a try.

A full day to spare?

Sleep in and go out for a beer.

Stop rushing around and trying to 'do everything'.

I should have explained myself better. We will have several single days (sometimes 2 days) in BKK throughout the trip (if we stick with current itinerary). When down south, there'll be plenty of sleeping in and relaxing on the beach with a beer. When i'm in cities I like to get out-and-about and do things... it's just who I am. Apart from sitting people watching from an hour, i'd get itchy feet sitting doing nothing.

I have one day given to visiting Klong Toey as I will be meeting with a volunteer worker who lives in the slum, hopefully getting to see a bit of the area.

I recommend the Dusit Zoo. Big lagoon, benches to sit on. Plenty of things to see.

Many thanks

The GF might like the paddle boats. Something to do together. I got a kick out of the large (2-3 foot long) Green monitor lizards hanging out all over the place. Kind of cool to sit on the bench by the lagoon and they are all over the places running wild.

The National Museum has been on my list but never did it. Not necessarily an exciting thing, but they have English speaking tours too I think. I haven't been down to the river much, by Wat Arun, but taking one of the small ferries might show you a place to stop and eat or drink by the water.

For a little more of a get around, hop on the BTS, buy the day pass and take as much of a tour of a large part of the city and surrounding areas as you like. Get off and on as much as you like. Grab some eats and some drink and no worries about getting back to your hotel in one piece. You can see a lot from that elevated rail system. To me it is like an amusement park ride and a tourist trip combined.

Take in a day at the horse track.

• 4 weeks later...

If budget/ time permits:

Visit an evening/night floating market (beautiful night view with lights reflected in the river), eat fruits buffet at fruit orchard, get a freelance local guide to bring you around and visit local places/food, visit the crocodile & elephant farm, check-in a seaside villa with private jacuzzi facing the sea for total relaxation (cheaper during lull period/ weekdays), etc.