How much is enough?

bil2054

No, I am not married to a Thai, but I have had Thai gfs--and they were not sex workers. You are correct, my Thai is terrible; I cannot read or write. Most of my Thai friends are educated, speak English,

So there you go, everything you know about Thailand is filtered ....... just another sheltered expat.

You think my knowledge of Thailand is filtered when all you know is related to sex-workers?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know plenty of farangs who are married with 'normal ladies'. how to find a normal lady? easy, stay out of your bar. I can get plenty of ladies for you. they are good looking, fun and are waiting for you to take them out of their little Nakhon village . these ladies say they don't find farangs. how is that possible? problem is farang stay in their bars, and Thai ladies stay in their village.

Rule number 1 is It is freaking madness to pay for homes and vehicles registered in a any woman's name, especially unrelated ones.

Another old ram being fleeced. Rattle your dags and get out!

I qualify with ease. I don't feel fleeced - yet.

Okay in even simpler terms, and ignoring for the moment the dynamics and disappointments in farang/Thai relationships some have evidently experienced, should an income of 100,000 Thai baht per month be sufficient for a couple to live a non hiso life in Bangkok. The governmental income requirement is from the government... I would like to hear from people who actually live "normal" married lives what their experience and opinions are regarding a sufficient income to live comfortably, middle class style, in Bangkok.
Thanks again

[snip}

... Don't spread your money and income too thin.Remember these famous words: "When Wolf come to door, love fly out window".

I clicked 'Like' on this as it resonated with me. I was having a think about it last night and remembered when I had my first job. After 3 months I got called into the office and my then boss offered me a very substantial pay rise (in percentage terms), from GBP 27.30 per week, to GBP 49.00 per week, LOL ("that was a lot of money in those days").

What he also did was give me a warning. He said "I've learned that financial incentives only seem to last for about 2 weeks, so don't get lazy about it" - or words very similar to that.

I've found that to be true and still believe that was useful advice. Two Thais I've employed (not only Thais - same in my home country too), I've given them more money because I thought they went above and beyond in their efforts, only to find is that the extra cash quickly gets absorbed by things that are suddenly essential (like a loan for a new car), while at the same time getting lax in their job since in their mind they've proven themselves and no longer need to fulfill basic tasks, and therefore become non performing so I've had to "let them go", and then they're in deep financial do do (because they're now living with items paid by unearned future income).

The "treat 'em mean" thing sadly does seem to have some validity. There are exceptions of course, and I know of a couple of Thais who can make money go a long long way (I wonder if it is those that have known hardship, and incidentally they also seem to be much more team focussed, and giving in general, like those videos you can find on youtube with someone gifting a homeless person and they share it around with other homeless people, while men in suits walking by won't even make eye contact).

I've seen it too over here, and back home where a couple have a kid, and when the money runs out, the foreigner is deprived of seeing the kid unless he finds a way to provide money. That is despicable to me, but I've watched it happen. That's when it's the guys own kid. I fear the idea of a relationship where there is an existing child who isn't your own blood, and you learn to love them as your own, then someone pulls a stunt like that. I'm not saying it's always that way, but something to be mindful of.

If you do a simple spreadsheet with known income and expenditure, and see what the delta is between those, and if you're comfortable that the difference will handle any eventualities you can conceive of (Scenario Planning), then you will have a feel for what you're taking on and make a measured decision. Hopefully it would be one that your income is always in advance of your debts, and not like most people with access to loans do.

Exactly what I am trying to do. The income is my only certainty, and if a Republican majority prevails in the next election cycle that is not so certain, either.

Reading the numerous posts in TV I learn that, for instance, "health care is 10% the cost of the United States..." or "it is prohibitive, are there cheaper alternatives?" I see adverts for condo rentals in excess of 20,000 bt/month, and as little as 2,500.

I can get a "meal" from a push cart for 30 bt, or go to a Japanese style place and have a Wyugu, or whatever it is, steak for a month's income.

What is the experience of a few "average" blokes? I know, asking that of a group of folks who have abandoned kith and kin to reside in the exotic Far East is perhaps not well considered, but hey, I am here too. blink.png

Leave your house to your 'daughter' by all means,but after you die.

As you don't have an excess of cash, why should you give it away?

What's the age difference between you?

In all seriouslness, be very careful about "leaving things after you die". Assuming you do a proper will or have proper life insurance, the risks of your demise might increase more than you believe. Even if the wife or GF, or daughter are honest up people with no bad intentions, it doesn't take much for the bad people to put a gun to her head or to her mother's head. Before long the conspiracy is on and you are offed from those low railing balconies that so many farangs seem to fall from.

[snip}

... Don't spread your money and income too thin.Remember these famous words: "When Wolf come to door, love fly out window".

I clicked 'Like' on this as it resonated with me. I was having a think about it last night and remembered when I had my first job. After 3 months I got called into the office and my then boss offered me a very substantial pay rise (in percentage terms), from GBP 27.30 per week, to GBP 49.00 per week, LOL ("that was a lot of money in those days").

What he also did was give me a warning. He said "I've learned that financial incentives only seem to last for about 2 weeks, so don't get lazy about it" - or words very similar to that.

I've found that to be true and still believe that was useful advice. Two Thais I've employed (not only Thais - same in my home country too), I've given them more money because I thought they went above and beyond in their efforts, only to find is that the extra cash quickly gets absorbed by things that are suddenly essential (like a loan for a new car), while at the same time getting lax in their job since in their mind they've proven themselves and no longer need to fulfill basic tasks, and therefore become non performing so I've had to "let them go", and then they're in deep financial do do (because they're now living with items paid by unearned future income).

The "treat 'em mean" thing sadly does seem to have some validity. There are exceptions of course, and I know of a couple of Thais who can make money go a long long way (I wonder if it is those that have known hardship, and incidentally they also seem to be much more team focussed, and giving in general, like those videos you can find on youtube with someone gifting a homeless person and they share it around with other homeless people, while men in suits walking by won't even make eye contact).

I've seen it too over here, and back home where a couple have a kid, and when the money runs out, the foreigner is deprived of seeing the kid unless he finds a way to provide money. That is despicable to me, but I've watched it happen. That's when it's the guys own kid. I fear the idea of a relationship where there is an existing child who isn't your own blood, and you learn to love them as your own, then someone pulls a stunt like that. I'm not saying it's always that way, but something to be mindful of.

If you do a simple spreadsheet with known income and expenditure, and see what the delta is between those, and if you're comfortable that the difference will handle any eventualities you can conceive of (Scenario Planning), then you will have a feel for what you're taking on and make a measured decision. Hopefully it would be one that your income is always in advance of your debts, and not like most people with access to loans do.

Exactly what I am trying to do. The income is my only certainty, and if a Republican majority prevails in the next election cycle that is not so certain, either.

Reading the numerous posts in TV I learn that, for instance, "health care is 10% the cost of the United States..." or "it is prohibitive, are there cheaper alternatives?" I see adverts for condo rentals in excess of 20,000 bt/month, and as little as 2,500.

I can get a "meal" from a push cart for 30 bt, or go to a Japanese style place and have a Wyugu, or whatever it is, steak for a month's income.

What is the experience of a few "average" blokes? I know, asking that of a group of folks who have abandoned kith and kin to reside in the exotic Far East is perhaps not well considered, but hey, I am here too. blink.png

Basically you can spend as much as you like. You can go upscale, eat all western food at Tony Roma's, and other chains, etc. You can definitely live very frugally and arguably live better than more than 1/2 the people on the planet. It all comes down to discipline. What are you going to do with your spare time? If you aren't working, watch TV all day? Travel monthly? Swim in the beach/pool? What do you need? Will you go stir crazy with only a 30 m square one room studio condo/apartment room? It is very easy to start "helping" out other people with their issues. It will be hard to not want to help as there is no doubt problems will be presented to you. Medical is fairly cheap, much better than the USA now that Obamacare is in place, at least for the indepenent worker. People that work for large companies, single males for example pay about 150 USD/month. I pay twice that. Food and rent can be cheap in Thailand. You can pay for daily use at a nearby hotel pool. The Thai GF mentality can be great, Others can't imagine you not spending money. So many of them don't have decent careers and paying jobs that the thought of saving and investing is truly a foreign concept to them. A budget? Ha! I made a mental note to look up the Thai word for that. I think its says:"farang ATM". Motobike? car? Accident insurance? Visa runs/ costs?

Rule number 1 is It is freaking madness to pay for homes and vehicles registered in a any woman's name, especially unrelated ones.

Another old ram being fleeced. Rattle your dags and get out!

I qualify with ease. I don't feel fleeced - yet.

Some sheep have more wool than they need. When sheared it grows back, might never notice it is gone. We can compare this to a regular pension coming in,

if one get's kicked out on the duff you'd have something to sustain a comeback. If you can afford to purchase homes and vehicles in a woman name, up to you.

Easy come easy go.

I just don't recommend blowing one's life savings, and certainly not to make oneself worth more dead than alive with wills, codicils, and life assurance.

A bloke I worked with went this route (in the PI of all places). Eventually the authorities found him stabbed to death in the boot of a stolen taxi.

Easy come easy go.

post-84769-0-57985800-1445152009_thumb.j

Edited by arunsakda

OP, sounds like you've got a very nice GF there and hard working, educated step daughter. Your monthly income, I think, is very generous. So no worries there. I lived on much less than that with a GF of two years. My GF was very good with money and very undemanding. She understood very well my position of not having a lot of money. Now, a story as short as I can make it:

She owed her aunt 20,000. I paid it off over 2 months. She owed her mom 100,000. At the 70,000 baht point, paying 10K a month, I said, OK, you owe your mom 30K, right? No, her brother had called (unknown to me) and needed money so she gave him that 10K and somewhere else another 10K disappeared. So she still owed her mom 50K. I could have lived with that if she hadn't added in the same breath that her father owes someone 50,000 but doesn't need it till the new year.

So, in one evening we went from owing only 30K to facing the need to fork over 100,000 in a short time. It's always the outside pressures (usually from family) that come out of nowhere and bite you. So be prepared for that. Or, cut back on what I consider an unnecessarily complicated set of financial promises that, combined with surprise demands, could sink your boat and ruin your retirement.

And yes, two days later, I ended the relationship because those surprise requests Are Never Going to Stop.

• 3 weeks later...

OP, sounds like you've got a very nice GF there and hard working, educated step daughter. Your monthly income, I think, is very generous. So no worries there. I lived on much less than that with a GF of two years. My GF was very good with money and very undemanding. She understood very well my position of not having a lot of money. Now, a story as short as I can make it:

She owed her aunt 20,000. I paid it off over 2 months. She owed her mom 100,000. At the 70,000 baht point, paying 10K a month, I said, OK, you owe your mom 30K, right? No, her brother had called (unknown to me) and needed money so she gave him that 10K and somewhere else another 10K disappeared. So she still owed her mom 50K. I could have lived with that if she hadn't added in the same breath that her father owes someone 50,000 but doesn't need it till the new year.

So, in one evening we went from owing only 30K to facing the need to fork over 100,000 in a short time. It's always the outside pressures (usually from family) that come out of nowhere and bite you. So be prepared for that. Or, cut back on what I consider an unnecessarily complicated set of financial promises that, combined with surprise demands, could sink your boat and ruin your retirement.

And yes, two days later, I ended the relationship because those surprise requests Are Never Going to Stop.

And let's face it, she probably never had any family members she owed money in the first place.

Sounds like she was milking the buffalo from day 1.

Op, let's clarify the 'we' are buying a house to you're buying it.

So, now that's out in the open I'd say this:-

104k baht is plenty to live on

She needs to keep in her job

Her daughter who 'likes welly much' won't pay a baht towards the house, bills, food or anything else you can think of. If you think she will your deluded & if you say she does your lying.

Other then that, crack on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk