British victim of Pattaya attack receives help from Tourist Assistance Foundation

webfact

One year ago i was attacked in Soi Bakow , my arm was broken , there was 20.000 baht damage on my car , all i done was park outside a 7 ELEVEN and refused to pay a Thai guy who wanted to charge me for parking . It received 95.000 hits on Thai news network , TV coverage , newspaper coverage . a visit to my home from the chief of Police with a basket of fruit , and apologies for the behaviour of the Thai man ., who received 7. YEARS jail . The Police were good .

I was told to visit the Thai tourist Police who would compensate me for my loss , i went there and was told as i was in Thailand on a Multi O Non Immigrant Visa , which i use to travel back and fore to Thailand a few times a year I was not entitled to any compensation - - I protested ,nobody wanted to listen . I GOT NOTHING .

I paid for my hospital bills and the damage to my car . What they tell you and what you get are two different stories .

I managed to fall off my scooter a six years ago in Phuket. 16 stiches, four areas of scrapes

debrided and gauzed up, by 4 pretty nurses, x-rays for wrist and ribs, doctors consult for

x-rays. I was charged 1,900 baht at the hospital in Patong. (the one across from the police

station that floods every rain) They even asked if I wanted a receipt so I could be reimbursed

by insurance. I declined, it just would not be worth the trouble.

A truly unpleasant experience, but was his medical treatment not covered by his Insurance ?

I would hazard to guess that the majority of us ex-pats who live here full time have not taken out insurance coverage, in Thailand for health and or death,

But this guy is reported to be a tourist, not a resident.

He spent his last 5000 ฿ and couldn't afford the fare home.

How was he hoping to return to UK with the 5000 he otherwise spent on hospital fees ?

No return ticket, No insurance. No money.

Either poor reporting, or something strange here !

Good to know that such an organization exists. If you're completely broke without insurance this might be a way out. His embassy will not assist that's for sure.

One year ago i was attacked in Soi Bakow , my arm was broken , there was 20.000 baht damage on my car , all i done was park outside a 7 ELEVEN and refused to pay a Thai guy who wanted to charge me for parking . It received 95.000 hits on Thai news network , TV coverage , newspaper coverage . a visit to my home from the chief of Police with a basket of fruit , and apologies for the behaviour of the Thai man ., who received 7. YEARS jail . The Police were good .

I was told to visit the Thai tourist Police who would compensate me for my loss , i went there and was told as i was in Thailand on a Multi O Non Immigrant Visa , which i use to travel back and fore to Thailand a few times a year I was not entitled to any compensation - - I protested ,nobody wanted to listen . I GOT NOTHING .

I paid for my hospital bills and the damage to my car . What they tell you and what you get are two different stories .

I remember.....hope that <deleted> is still in jail and they didnt let him go after the buzz died down.

Financial compensation provided by this foundation is for tourists. Being on a non O visa suggests to me (and it seems the foundation as well) that you are not a tourist.

here is their criteria http://tourists-assistance-foundation.org/Criteria-Required.php