Starting business, hiring four Thai's

Hi,

From what I understand, if I were to start a business here, I need to hire 4 Thai's for every farang. I heard that I don't need to pay them, just pay social security for them or something. If this is the case, how much would I need to pay for every Thai per month?

I'm a digital nomad, who would like to get legal as the Tourist Visas are a pain. The thought is to 'hire' four Thai friends, but not have them actually do anything, nor pay them, as I don't need any staff.. I'd just have them on paper as employees.

If I go this route, how much would I need to pay at minimum each month for social security, or whatever minimum is required?

And if I were granted this business visa, is there a criminal background check done?

Thanks

What you heard is not correct, the not paying them for real and only social security makes them ghost employees. That is not legal either, often advisers tell you this will be ok but it is not. If you want to be full legal you will still not be full legal.

• Like 2

What you heard is not correct, the not paying them for real and only social security makes them ghost employees. That is not legal either, often advisers tell you this will be ok but it is not. If you want to be full legal you will still not be full legal.

OK, thanks. So if I were to create a paper trail showing I'm paying minimum wage + social security for 4 Thai employees, but they return the money to me in cash, is this legal?

This would appear to be shady, yet legal in my opinion.

• Like 1

OK, thanks. So if I were to create a paper trail showing I'm paying minimum wage + social security for 4 Thai employees, but they return the money to me in cash, is this legal?

This would appear to be shady, yet legal in my opinion.

No that is not be legal at all.

Also you need to have a company.

It almost impossible for a digital nomad to become legal. Most just don't need the employees or can't find work for them.

A friend of mine tried this but came unstuck when the labour office told him they will be paying him and his employees a visit at his registered office between certain dates...

Edited by Sharp
  • Like 2

A friend of mine tried this but came unstuck when the labour office told him they will be paying him and his employees a visit at their offices between certain dates...

Do the four Thai people I hire have to reside in Thailand?

Could they not be Thai citizens, but live in the UK or somewhere else?

A friend of mine tried this but came unstuck when the labour office told him they will be paying him and his employees a visit at their offices between certain dates...

How do you explain their absence when immigration/DOL turn up to do an inspection at your offices, unless you plan to fly them in for that day ?

• Like 1

How do you explain their absence when immigration/DOL turn up to do an inspection at your offices, unless you plan to fly them in for that day ?

Yes reside in Thailand and work in registered office according to the info he was given

At least the OP has a TR visa... unless what he's calling a TR visa is actually a visa exempt entry and associated border running? Otherwise, not sure what is so painful about a proper TR visa as it is as close to legal as a digital pikey can get (still illegal but as long as nobody's looking).

So Thai people cannot work for a corporation, but work from their home?

They can't work for a company based in Bangkok, but live in X country?

Why does an Internet company need a physical office?

• Like 1

So Thai people cannot work for a corporation, but work from their home?

They can't work for a company based in Bangkok, but live in X country?

Why does an Internet company need a physical office?

Does google or facebook have not have physical offices ?

Fact is immigration/DOL will want to see a registered office and employees in terms of the Ltd Company

and if they are not living/ working in Thailand you will not be paying the social security and tax and therefore you havent employed 4 Thai employees and therefore will not get the WP ;)

• Like 1

My understand is there are umbrella type companies who can legally facilitate working for them under their company structures in Thailand with a WP and its all legal...but you will be giving them circa 30% or there abouts from your turn over

At least the OP has a TR visa... unless what he's calling a TR visa is actually a visa exempt entry and associated border running? Otherwise, not sure what is so painful about a proper TR visa as it is as close to legal as a digital pikey can get (still illegal but as long as nobody's looking).

Well I've been doing the tourist visa thing for a few years now. I am just worried that one day, I will get denied a tourist visa as I have too many etc.

I'm too young for retirement visa.. no wife.. Elite visa too expensive..

At least the OP has a TR visa... unless what he's calling a TR visa is actually a visa exempt entry and associated border running? Otherwise, not sure what is so painful aboutsible on a a proper TR visa as it is as close to legal as a digital pikey can get (still illegal but as long as nobody's looking).

------------------------------------------------

On the top of many TR visas it says quire clearly "Employment is prohibited".

That means ALL employment in Thailand on a tourist visa.

Employment is possible only on a real legal working visa.

And it requires a work permit, either by being hired as an employee by a Thai company, or, if you have the Capital founding your own company and hiring the required 4 Thai employees.....and legally generating the income to support 4 Thais as well as yourself in Thailand.

At least the OP has a TR visa... unless what he's calling a TR visa is actually a visa exempt entry and associated border running? Otherwise, not sure what is so painful aboutsible on a a proper TR visa as it is as close to legal as a digital pikey can get (still illegal but as long as nobody's looking).

And it requires a work permit, either by being hired as an employee by a Thai company, or, if you have the Capital founding your own company and hiring the required 4 Thai employees.....and legally generating the income to support 4 Thais as well as yourself in Thailand.

No such thing as real legal working visa in Thailand a non imm B is not a work visa... the only thing that permits work in Thailand is a work permit from the DOL nothing to do with visas or immigration departments

I know i am being pedantic, but one should stay away from the term " work visa" in Thailand as there is no such animal

Edited by Soutpeel

No such thing as real legal working visa in Thailand a non imm B is not a work visa... the only thing that permits work in Thailand is a work permit from the DOL nothing to do with visas or immigration departments

I know i am being pedantic, but one should stay away from the term " work visa" in Thailand as there is no such animal

Agreed but without an appropriate visa a work permit cannot be obtained!

Better to bum off of someone else's business that meets capital requirements, or a law firm.

What is the passport nationality of the OP?

Canadian.

So it would be legal for me to find a farang who has the necessary thai - farang employee ratio, and have him hire me? He'd then pay me, pay for social security or whatever, and I'd compensate the farang for providing this service?

Sounds legal to me, but probably shady.. as there are job placement agencies where I come from where you pay for a job.

Better to bum off of someone else's business that meets capital requirements, or a law firm.

Canadian.

So it would be legal for me to find a farang who has the necessary thai - farang employee ratio, and have him hire me? He'd then pay me, pay for social security or whatever, and I'd compensate the farang for providing this service?

Sounds legal to me, but probably shady.. as there are job placement agencies where I come from where you pay for a job.

Why not be a legal "nomad" in Canada?

• Like 1

Canadian.

Why not be a legal "nomad" in Canada?

I am. I pay taxes in Canada and have employees in Canada.

The only issue I have with the back to back tourist visas, is I'd like to be able to drive legally here.. with insurance. I have no driver's license anywhere in the world, and am under the impression that I cannot get a driver's license with a tourist visa.