They do try, Some thai translations to english

saintphil

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I introduced my wife to avocados and taught her to make guacamole. She loved it. The next day she says: "Honey, I want more quaca-cado." It was so cute I didn't correct her for a while just so I could hear her say it again.

Was in bed with a Thai girl and as she was climaxing she shouted "I go, I go!"

Another favorite is: "Thank you very big."

When los first time. Lady friend met as blind date picked me up and while driving along after few minutes thought things were going splendid........then few repeated

JACK YOU BORE ME.

What the hell I thought. After one or two more realized she was asking

JACK AM I BORING YOU?

ps - sometimes by listening to their mistakes, you can learn how to phrase things in Thai language as they are using a word for word translation

As do many foreigners in their early days of trying to learn Thai and foreigners keep doing this forever.

You would be a bunch of laughs at a party, we are mere mortals, you are a god of the Thai language....

It can be funny, but really guys, do you know what your Thai sounds like?

But if it makes you happy to giggle at the silly Thai people who at least try, then go ahead and giggle instead of putting yourselves out there to actually communicate in Thai.

my wife "I want a toytoy"

me "excuse me?"

"a toytoy......toyyyyyyy toyyyyyyyy na"

she drew a picture....

me "ohhhh a tortoise"

reversed...

me to my mum in law in thai "ded ook leaw" (meaning the suns come out)

my Thai is still at basic and I can only write a little but after much confusion, frowns and then hilarity, it turns out i cant pronounce the difference between "ด" and "ต"

so "เดด" became "เตต" which isnt sunshine at all. I basically told my Mum in Law that her clitoris was out. I even went so far to say how beautiful it was. Now Im banned from ever saying sunshine in Thai. facepalm.gif

My friend you.

Yep, heard that about 10 years ago " My friend you same same but different " Oh and a ladyboy possibly ( hard to tell ) about 2 years ago I asked a barstaff if it was a boy or girl and I was told " Maybe boy or girl both sometimes " Good that cleared that up then ! Saw the same person last night and I still don't know if boy or girl both sometimes.

My friend you.

Yep, heard that about 10 years ago " My friend you same same but different " Oh and a ladyboy possibly ( hard to tell ) about 2 years ago I asked a barstaff if it was a boy or girl and I was told " Maybe boy or girl both sometimes " Good that cleared that up then ! Saw the same person last night and I still don't know if boy or girl both sometimes.

My students in a M1 class pointed out one kid and declared"he boy girl fusion". It was the best English they ever spoke to me.

Sorry. Could you translate 'do the bag up' for an American?

OP has mistranslated the Thai words "bert and bit" = 'open and close' ........ he thinks the Thai words (bert and bit) mean 'on and off'

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Yep, heard that about 10 years ago " My friend you same same but different "

Another mistranslation, "same same but different" = "similar"

Then, taking into account the different pronoun usage in The Thai and English languages.

"My friend you same same but different" = My friend is similar to you

Edited by MaeJoMTB

For those who do not see the cuteness/humour in some of this, I am sorry for you. I am sure from the giggles that accompany my efforts to speak Thai that it is very much a two way street.

One of my favourites is "Open the fire" for "Turn on the light". Then the Thai equivalent of an English speaker trying to make a non-English speaker understand by repeating forcefully..."Open ... open....o-o-o-pen!"

For those who do not see the cuteness/humour in some of this, I am sorry for you. I am sure from the giggles that accompany my efforts to speak Thai that it is very much a two way street.

One of my favourites is "Open the fire" for "Turn on the light". Then the Thai equivalent of an English speaker trying to make a non-English speaker understand by repeating forcefully..."Open ... open....o-o-o-pen!"

"Open the fire" doesn't make much sense to me ........

Light the fire?

Open the boiler door?

And what are you burning?

"Turn on the gas hob" and "light a wood fire" would use completely different words.

(bert fai) Vs (poo)

"Open the fire" doesn't make much sense to me ........

Light the fire?

Open the boiler door?

And what are you burning?

"Turn on the gas hob" and "light a wood fire" would use completely different words.

(bert fai) Vs (poo)

I've no idea, which is the point of the thread, after all. I think my sweetheart is old enough and from a sufficiently rural background that probably lighting was by lantern or candle. Hell, I can just remember when our farm in NW New Jersey did not yet have electric power.

Anyway, I find it cute as can be, and sometimes feel guilty about not performing my sworn duty to "correct English" because I do enjoy some of the more colourful lapses.

this is all petty BS; "nome yai" (milk big) is the best label ever for Dolly Parton's twins....YMMV- but POOYING THAI have been successful in roping in stupid 'falangs'...don't you get it that ASIAN WOMEN ARE IN CHARGE??

Thank you so much for those pearls of wisdom.

Do you have twitter, facebook or Line so I can follow you and improve my education?

I greeted my dear Mum-in-law with "Good morning dog" (in Thai) for days after we first met, until the wife corrected me.

I greeted my Thai Dad, upon his return from a job in Cambodia, with "pai nai maa" .."where have you been"

except I did it with the rising tone on "maa"......"where have you been, dog." oops

"I go washy your clothes today" is my wife's term for doing the washing.

My teerak said she wanted to go to Wat Ching, so naturally I asked where is Wat Ching? ( She loves visiting temples to make merit) At the house. Eh? Yes, after multiple iterations we worked out she wanted to do the washing.

this is all petty BS; "nome yai" (milk big) is the best label ever for Dolly Parton's twins....YMMV- but POOYING THAI have been successful in roping in stupid 'falangs'...don't you get it that ASIAN WOMEN ARE IN CHARGE??

And your point is? Much rather have an Asian woman in charge than a Western woman. Lighten up.

Yep, heard that about 10 years ago " My friend you same same but different "

Another mistranslation, "same same but different" = "similar"

Then, taking into account the different pronoun usage in The Thai and English languages.

"My friend you same same but different" = My friend is similar to you

Pardon me. I thought this thread was for amusement. Obviously I was wrong.

My wife told me about a Thai who worked with her (in USA), who got in an argument (in English) with another Asian who also was speaking English as her second language.

Thai: "You think I scare you?" (Meaning: "Do you think I'm scared of you?")

Other Asian: "I not scare you!" (Meaning: "I'm not scared of you!")

Thai (now a little confused, but still mad): "No, YOU think I scare YOU?"

Other Asian: "No way, I not scare you!"

And so on..