Mobile roadblocks against traffic violators scrapped nationwide

Lite Beer

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news!

But please, someone enlighten me as how to actually identify an illegal road block? Should I ask if they have a permit? Or if there's a police inspector present?

I will put 1197 on my speed dial, just in case...

The proper road blocks have several police officers, and a desk beside the road. They issue a receipt. The illegal ones are just a parked up traffic or highway police car with two, occasionally three officers. The directions in the Thai language press a few weeks ago were that it is fine to just flash your lights and continue if they try to stop you. I assume they meant to add, drive round the policeman in the middle of the road, not over him.

Great news!

But please, someone enlighten me as how to actually identify an illegal road block? Should I ask if they have a permit? Or if there's a police inspector present?

The proper road blocks have several police officers, and a desk beside the road. They issue a receipt. The illegal ones are just a parked up traffic or highway police car with two, occasionally three officers. The directions in the Thai language press a few weeks ago were that it is fine to just flash your lights and continue if they try to stop you. I assume they meant to add, drive round the policeman in the middle of the road, not over him.

.. mmm .. errr .. Junta ... army more corrupt .. bangkok elite .. coup lovers .. Prayuth's outbursts .. People Disappearing People being arrested People being taken in and told off .. bangkok elite (that one is their favourite so I put it twice) ..

It seems our Pheu-Thai supporting friends are lost for words in this article - so I'll save them the bother and sum up the only things they ever say myself.

This would never, ever have happened under the last lot.

So whats your point pal? Under the last lot you had the option of voting them out if you didn't like what they were or weren't doing.

Good idea, if it actually happens.

Hope at these roadblocks they actually stop all offenders and not just foreigners!

never seem to stop Thais without helmets here in Jomtien/Pattaya.

As others have said they will have more manpower to get out on the road and enforce the law.

I will believe that when I see it.

As I said in earlier post cost 400bht speeding stopped 4 or 5 times going down to Pattaya and twice coming up twice asked for 200Bht each time still cheaper than actual fine I belive 500 was mentioned other times stopped wind down window smile seaward krap "hello Pattaya"!!! Waved on

If the BIB lose their money from roadblocks they`ll look to take it from other areas or increase their fees for things they already get money for like protection. Let`s see if this actually happens. Time will tell

But they CAN still do roadblocks: Quote

"From now on, he said that if a roadblock is to be set up, it has to be manned by a police inspector and there must be a clearly visible sign to show the existence of the roadblock. Also, their superiors must be informed about the whereabouts of the roadblocks and what kind of roadblocks they are."

I think they make all their money on the night time road blocks, looking for drunk drivers - that is 10,000+ a pop, not 200 Baht for crappy little road offence

if they stop a drunk driver my personal feelings is to take the (I won't swear) thing to one side and give him a quick double tap to the head. Extreme YES why my mom was killed by a drunk driver he got a community sentence my mum got life.

This is an unbelievable development. My first reaction is that I question whether the "decree" will actually have effect. If something sounds too good to be true, it's probably not. As long as I've known, Thais have used road blocks as their only tool of traffic enforcement (which is really a farce) and revenue collection. Instead of getting happy about this announcement, it would be wise to await future events to see if the decree really takes effect and these road blocks are really done away with. My gut tells me that either they will not go away, or they will come back quickly, or the police will find another way of collecting their "revenue" that will make the road blocks look benign.

What the Thais really need to do is to enact laws differentiating larger cc motorcycles (i.e., over 500cc) from smaller ones, allowing larger ones onto tollways and into the right lane where it is safer to travel. THAT would be a major step toward turning the roads away from being 3rd world. It's time to stop acting like an 800cc BMW is the same as a 110cc piece of trash.

One great idea for police revenue collection that would be perfectly straightforward and potentially free of corruption would be to post police at major intersections citing those who run "stale" red lights; that is, those who choose to run the red light even after it's been red for a few seconds because they don't feel like waiting there at the intersection. At 1000 or 2000 a pop, this would generate enough revenue all by itself to put food on the policeman's table.

Haven't seen roadblocks in Udon, I go by the same route everyday, where they used to do it, by the lake, not far from Beyond Cafe

Quite common on the ring road near Lotus.
Oh I've paid my dues there,Ex.running yellow light, 400 baht BS ,haven't been out there this week, Nong Han Coppers are the Worst, be interesting how this plays out

Great news!

Don't for one minute believe, that just because it is a legal roadblock with several officers and a desk where you have to go and pay the fine, that no corruptoin/tea money is made.

I overtook a slow moving farm vehicle on a single white line approaching a roadblock.

My wife goes to pay the fine of 400B. She asks the officer at the table "can down with money"? He says " no paper (receipt) then pay 200B" Stupidly my wife says that she wants a receipt and so paid the400B!!!

Generally I am happy to see road blocks, I have a Thai driving licence, proper insurance (not that this ever gets checked) and pay the yearly road tax. Though I occassionally go over the speed limi I generally stick to the laws of the road.

For those that are driving illegally I am glad that they are fined even if the money collected is shared out among the officers, at least the offenders are penalised as they should be.

Like a previous reply I come accross road blocks at least every other day in my area and 90% of the time I just get waved on and the other 10% I have my Thai Driving licence ready to

show and then just get waved on.

Problem is what is the speed limit have seen the signs in built up area but nothing on rural roads I was told by a thai mind "whatever speed you can do" I stick to 80kph on dual carriageways best I can but still seem to get stopped for speeding???? So I guess it's up to the policeman LOL

If the BIB lose their money from roadblocks they`ll look to take it from other areas or increase their fees for things they already get money for like protection. Let`s see if this actually happens. Time will tell

But they CAN still do roadblocks: Quote

"From now on, he said that if a roadblock is to be set up, it has to be manned by a police inspector and there must be a clearly visible sign to show the existence of the roadblock. Also, their superiors must be informed about the whereabouts of the roadblocks and what kind of roadblocks they are."

There was one outside mbk yesterday with what looked like aa general supervising it

But as usual, this will blow over in a couple of weeks

Great news!

Don't for one minute believe, that just because it is a legal roadblock with several officers and a desk where you have to go and pay the fine, that no corruptoin/tea money is made.

I overtook a slow moving farm vehicle on a single white line approaching a roadblock.

My wife goes to pay the fine of 400B. She asks the officer at the table "can down with money"? He says " no paper (receipt) then pay 200B" Stupidly my wife says that she wants a receipt and so paid the400B!!!

Generally I am happy to see road blocks, I have a Thai driving licence, proper insurance (not that this ever gets checked) and pay the yearly road tax. Though I occassionally go over the speed limi I generally stick to the laws of the road.

For those that are driving illegally I am glad that they are fined even if the money collected is shared out among the officers, at least the offenders are penalised as they should be.

Like a previous reply I come accross road blocks at least every other day in my area and 90% of the time I just get waved on and the other 10% I have my Thai Driving licence ready to

show and then just get waved on.

I don't mind them. They are not hidden, and if I am caught bang to rights for say, no helmet, I happily the peanuts asked for. The one I really do hate is just before the expressway ends at Rangsit, heading north out of Bangkok. When pulled, I could not deny speeding very slightly, 86 kph! Within the 10% speedo error allowed in UK, but this is Thailand. I was cross because for 30 km, everything else was going at least 20 kph faster and none were stopped. With 300 km to go, I couldn't be bothered to spend two days looking for the police station to settle a 400 baht ticket, so I accepted the 1000 baht VIP special. Since then, I reset my sat nav when I leave the hotel. I'm always stopped, but can show I haven't exceeded 80 kph. Maybe the police at the previous toll booth are trained to spot a pink, hairy arm, and radio ahead, or maybe they just look for up country number plates.

With 300 km to go, I couldn't be bothered to spend two days looking for the police station to settle a 400 baht ticket, so I accepted the 1000 baht VIP special.

You do realise that the fine is 400B with receipt, 200B without? What is this VIP special?

In the last two weeks I have driven all over the country including highway 9 twice, highway 7 swampy to Chonburi and back four times, Chiang Mai to BKK and back, BKK to Trat and back, some Bangkok expressways. In all that time, I have kept to the 120kmph limit on highways 7 and 9 and been between 100 and 120kmph everywhere else. I haven't been stopped once. Waved through every couple checkpoint. I usually have to show my licence, but these last few weeks, nothing.

All this in a pick up on Chiang Mai plates. I don't understand how people are getting fined at 80kmph. Been done once in seven years for speeding, 150kmph in Kamphaeng Phet, I had no complaints.

With 300 km to go, I couldn't be bothered to spend two days looking for the police station to settle a 400 baht ticket, so I accepted the 1000 baht VIP special.

You do realise that the fine is 400B with receipt, 200B without? What is this VIP special?

In the last two weeks I have driven all over the country including highway 9 twice, highway 7 swampy to Chonburi and back four times, Chiang Mai to BKK and back, BKK to Trat and back, some Bangkok expressways. In all that time, I have kept to the 120kmph limit on highways 7 and 9 and been between 100 and 120kmph everywhere else. I haven't been stopped once. Waved through every couple checkpoint. I usually have to show my licence, but these last few weeks, nothing.

All this in a pick up on Chiang Mai plates. I don't understand how people are getting fined at 80kmph. Been done once in seven years for speeding, 150kmph in Kamphaeng Phet, I had no complaints.

Ah but this is a special roadblock. At least 50% of the thirty or so farang round here that I know have been pulled at the same point. I don't get around as much as you, but still do 2-3000 km a month, with no problem elsewhere. I agree, the back pocket money is generally half the official fine, but it was getting late,I had the three kids in the back, and just wanted to get home. Got a smile and a nice salute though.

Problem is what is the speed limit have seen the signs in built up area but nothing on rural roads I was told by a thai mind "whatever speed you can do" I stick to 80kph on dual carriageways best I can but still seem to get stopped for speeding???? So I guess it's up to the policeman LOL

A problem I do have is that though you will somtimes see a 'speed limit sign' you never then see an 'End of Speed limit' sign. This I have noticed on main roads as well as those in villages.

So how is one supposed to know?

Happy to report not one road block even the permission enter ones have been removed on run from pattaya to KK did run on Thursday day time

how iiabout construction?

Should read permanent ones. Road construction still ongoing in places no major hold ups

• 2 months later...