Applying For Visa In Bangkok To Visit Russia

I am British and live in Thailand on a 1 year visa (non-imm-o extension based on marriage).

I am planning to visit Russia in the New Year and need to apply for a tourist visa. I seem to be getting conflicting information about how and where to apply.

I have read that I can apply in Bangkok, but only if I have a one year visa extension (ie not just 30 days or tourist visa).

I have also read that I cannot apply in Bangkok and I have to return to the UK and apply there.

Could anyone who knows about this please point me in the direction of a decent website that has up-to date current information on this. I think the conflicting information I am getting from websites is due to the age of the posts.

Also, I know my Thai wife does not need a visa to visit Thailand, but is it that simple>

Can she just turn up there and get in without any problems at all? I know people who have visited Singapore and have had problems entering despite not needing a visa!

Thanks very much for your help.

If you have an extension of stay based on marriage, which would be for twelve months, it seems like you can apply in Bangkok.

The Russian Embassy in Bangkok is empowered to issue Russian visas (except transit visas) only to foreigners who hold a Thai residence certificate or who have been granted permission to stay in Thailand continuously over 90 days.

http://thailand.mid.ru/en/consular-section/visa-application-procedure

Thanks theoldgit for this post.

Yes I read that is the case and assuming the Russian Embassy website is up to date, then I should have no problem applying through the Russian Embassy in Bangkok. I can send them an email and ask to be sure, but the last time I sent an email to an embassy I had to wait a couple of weeks for a reply.

I think the other websites that say I cannot do this are simply out of date.

On the second part, do you know if a Thai really can just arrive in Russia and have no hassle?

OK it seems like a stupid question, but I am too old and traveled to just believe things are this simple.

Edited by dsfbrit