looks like no land tax after all

Latest news from the Newspaper-That-Must-Not-Be-Named is that the land tax has been backburnered. Just as I always said it would be. Next up for "further study:" the inheritance tax.

The elite didn't do to all this trouble to make a coup just to see their taxes go up.

Edited by CaptHaddock

My gf just paid taxes on her land and noted how much the increase was.

And exactly by how much ?

In most jurisdictions the land tax is so low that the tessabans don't even bother to collect it

The land tax that is the subject of this post is a new land tax designed to force absentee landlords to use their property, not just let it increase in value over time, as is the case now. It dovetailed with another proposed law regarding inheritance taxes to be paid of this inherited land. Another law that has also been shelved

Just look at all the empty lots all over Thailand, all these plots increase in value every year yet the government receives no additional income for idle property. They only make big money when land is transferred , yet provide the same services for unused land

Where I live we get a land tax bill via registered mail. I go and happily pay the land tax on parcels of land in my wife's name. Interesting book keeping ledgers at those offices. As I observe the land tax goes up every five years. Could just be our Province. It is still very affordable and I have only paid for residential land parcels, not business or idle land.

"Latest news from the Newspaper-That-Must-Not-Be-Named is that the land tax has been backburnered."

The Bangkok Post reported that also. Which newpaper's reporting were you referring to?

The mods are always reminding us that that very newspaper forbids TV to quote it or to post links to their stories. Sounds ridiculous of course, which is my point.