Stuck in Thailand?

Today was a bad day, even though it started so good:
I had heard about the way more easy visa exemptions for many countires in Vietnam and was looking forward to a nice week over there.

However, when I was about the check-in, the airline refused to take me on. Why? Because my passport is valid for only 5 1/2 months from now and not the full 6 months VIetnam requires upon entry.

I was shocked at first, but apparently that is a rule most countries employ. And likewise airlines turn you down because they are liable for people stranded in destination airports.

At the airport I played around with these websites that offer super urgend 1-4h Vietnam visas on arrival, but it was too late for that.

The bad thing is: The trip was not just for vacation and I actually need to leave Thailand by Sunday.
From Suvarnabhumi I went straight to Chaeng Wattana Immigration where I reached at 15:30. They close at 16:30 but don't let you get a ticket anymore at 15:30, so the timing was pretty bad.

At least the lady there was really friendly and assured me that if I come on Monday morning, it wouldn't be a big deal.

That horror story of a planned vacation turning into pure horror and annoyance aside, what can I do?

I'm currently on the second leg of a triple entry tourist visa. I will leave Thailand for good early December.

- Is there any country nearby that lets me fly in with less than 6 months left on the passport? Or am I basically both required and forbidden to stay here (other than getting a new passport or flying home earlier)?

- Looks like i should forget about Vietnam because visas there all require the 6 months passport validity thing.

- I could get 30 days extension at immigration at Monday, then go to my embassy and get a new passport like a good citizen. Then book a new trip outside country.

- I also talked to one of the visa run services. They seemed quite positive they would get me both out and back into the country That seemed quite confident considering I think I heard my visa requires me to leave over air. But I had a visa run with them before and was quite happy.

Sorry for that long post. Just wanted to share the love, I guess :D

Any tips much appreciated. Maybe there is a simple solution I overlooked.

Thanks for the advice, guys!

Yeah, I had a feeling it will be hard to find any place I can enter. But assuming I can: Will Thailand itself let me in for the third leg? Or would the 6 month rule apply even if I have a valid visa already?

Hello,

The VN immigration rules changed on 1st January 2015. You could have entered

the country with your passport last year no problem, though.

Could you try exiting Thailand at a land border and heading over to Vietnam over land ?

You must get a VN visa ready beforehand, whether entering the country by air

or by land, unless you can get a visa-exempt stamp. I don't think you can go

through any VN land crossings on VOA, on which you must arrive in the country

by air.

Several years ago I took a bus from Laos to Vietnam where I met an American

guy who had been turned back at a VN land crossing the day before simply

because he didn't have a VN visa on him. Moreover, a Chinese couple on the

bus did get turned back at the land crossing only because they didn't have a VN

visa with them, either. They were claiming that they should let them in like a

barking dog but the VN IOs just ignored them. We had to wait there for as long

as 2hrs till they gave up and the driver unloaded their luggage. I still remember

this like yesterday.

That's some great info. I will look into whether Hong Kong is an option for me.

And Too, thanks for the insights into Vietnam immigration policies. Sounds like getting into Vietnam over land would be rather risky for me at the moment. And compared to the American guy stuck in Laos I didn't even have it too bad I guess...

If I don't go for Hong Kong, I am tempted to just do the visa run and maybe a vacation in Thailand. But I think I remember to have read that with multiple entry tourist visa it is necessary to re-enter by air to get the full 60 days?

Can anyone confirm whether that is (still) the case?

Macao, HK, China, Taiwan, India, Bangladesh, Maldives, Philippines are all approx 3 hours or less flight time away and don't require 6 months passport validity.

All could be interesting for a quick vacation. Don't worry there will be plenty of chances to go to VN in the future.

• Like 1

"But I think I remember to have read that with multiple entry tourist visa it is necessary to re-enter by air to get the full 60 days?

Can anyone confirm whether that is (still) the case?"

I've never heard that it was ever the case.

That's some great info. I will look into whether Hong Kong is an option for me.

And Too, thanks for the insights into Vietnam immigration policies. Sounds like getting into Vietnam over land would be rather risky for me at the moment. And compared to the American guy stuck in Laos I didn't even have it too bad I guess...

If I don't go for Hong Kong, I am tempted to just do the visa run and maybe a vacation in Thailand. But I think I remember to have read that with multiple entry tourist visa it is necessary to re-enter by air to get the full 60 days?

Can anyone confirm whether that is (still) the case?

Where would you go for the visa run?

Do not forget the nearby "visa run" countries require a 6 month passport validity and you would be prevented from entering.

"But I think I remember to have read that with multiple entry tourist visa it is necessary to re-enter by air to get the full 60 days?

Can anyone confirm whether that is (still) the case?"

I've never heard that it was ever the case.

Well, I am happy to hear that. Gonna remove that faint memory from my head then.

Where would you go for the visa run?

Do not forget the nearby "visa run" countries require a 6 month passport validity and you would be prevented from entering.

Cambodia.

The particular visa run company I talked to was quite confident they would get me into Cambodia, but there might be an extra fee involved...

There seems to be a persistent rumor on the web that Cambodia has in the past or still does require only 4 months passport validity, so it might not be completely impossible to get in. To be honest, almost more worried an airline prevents me from boarding (even if Hong Kong would allow me to enter) than Cambodia immigration looking super closely when it is clear I'm leaving the same day

And thedemon, that's a pretty nice list. Especially Philippines sounds like a convenient and cheap destination I haven't explored yet.

In general, if I fly to Hong Kong or Philiipines or elsewhere, what to do about the airline? Call them before booking to ask whether they will let me fly with less than 6 months before expiration when the country I wanna go to allows it?

In general, if I fly to Hong Kong or Philiipines or elsewhere, what to do about the airline? Call them before booking to ask whether they will let me fly with less than 6 months before expiration when the country I wanna go to allows it?

Airline check-in staff check entry requirements against the TIMATIC database. You can check specific entry requirements yourself and print them out if you are concerned

Link: http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/

The airline won't deny you boarding if you meet the requirements of the destination country.

That is a great resource and very relieving.

Hello,

For most nationals wishing to enter Cambodia, the passport must be good

for at least 6 months from the arrival date, I'm afraid, but I hope your visa

run company will accommodate your entry into Cambodia.

Good luck.

whistling.gif Many countries in South East Asia require a passport valid for 6 months or more on entry, even if by you enter by land.

There was a time some years ago, when Thailand also had that same rule.

I don't know when that was changed, but on my very first entry to Thailand in 1977 that 6 month rule was in effect then when entering Thailand.

• Like 1

Personally, I would get my passport sorted out first. Get the extension, if possible, and pay whatever extra fee is required to get rush processing on your passport. The risk you're taking is:

a) Immigration denies you entry at your destination and you're sent back to Thailand and Thailand immigration denies you entry and you're sent back to your home country.

B) You make it to another country and try to re-enter Thailand and are denied entry, are sent back to the country you travelled to, they deny you re-entry into the country (because now that you've been deported back to them, they're looking for any reason to deny you entry since they don't want to be stuck with you) and you're sent back to your home country.

Most embassies can turn around a new passport in a few days or a week at most.

BTW, when you get your passport back, your current visa will not be in it. You're going to have to go get that transferred over to the new passport as well. I forget if that's done by immigration or the ministry of foreign affairs but either way your current tourist visa has to be re-issued.

Personally, I would get my passport sorted out first. Get the extension, if possible, and pay whatever extra fee is required to get rush processing on your passport. The risk you're taking is:

a) Immigration denies you entry at your destination and you're sent back to Thailand and Thailand immigration denies you entry and you're sent back to your home country.

cool.png You make it to another country and try to re-enter Thailand and are denied entry, are sent back to the country you travelled to, they deny you re-entry into the country (because now that you've been deported back to them, they're looking for any reason to deny you entry since they don't want to be stuck with you) and you're sent back to your home country.

Most embassies can turn around a new passport in a few days or a week at most.

BTW, when you get your passport back, your current visa will not be in it. You're going to have to go get that transferred over to the new passport as well. I forget if that's done by immigration or the ministry of foreign affairs but either way your current tourist visa has to be re-issued.

I agree with you on this. It'll be better to stay on the safer side.

This depends upon the nationality but my Filipino colleague just extended

his passport for one year so you should contact your embassy about your

case first.

You dont need 6 months validity in Thailand or Malaysia because no visa is needed to enter those countries so just go to malaysia for a while and then come back to thailand that will give you some breathing space by the ezy I got my us pasdport in 7 days in Chiangmai

You dont need 6 months validity in Thailand or Malaysia because no visa is needed to enter those countries so just go to malaysia for a while and then come back to thailand that will give you some breathing space by the ezy I got my us pasdport in 7 days in Chiangmai

Malaysia

"Passport required.

- Passports and other documents accepted for entry must be
valid for a minimum of 6 months from the arrival date.
Passport Exemptions:
- Passengers with a Certificate of Identity issued by
Malaysia.
- Passengers with an emergency or temporary passport.
Visa required, except for A max. stay of 3 months for holders
of British passports. "

Most if not all of the nearby countries will require a 6 month passport validity before allowing entry.

Attempting travel will result in refusal either by the airline or by a country's immigration.

Your best plan would be to go to your Embassy ASAP and apply for an emergency travel document.

5555,exactly the same thing happened to me in Singapore,trying for an Indo visa.Knocked me back on 5 and a half months on my passport for a 1 month visa.Got an emergency passport from Oz consulate for 6 months,same day got my visa.Luckily Malayasia,Thailand,Nepal and Thailand again were not so pedantic,as my 6 month passport was finally a 1 month passport.Never questioned either,luck of the draw.This was 1986.

Most if not all of the nearby countries will require a 6 month passport validity before allowing entry.

Attempting travel will result in refusal either by the airline or by a country's immigration.

Your best plan would be to go to your Embassy ASAP and apply for an emergency travel document.

5555,exactly the same thing happened to me in Singapore,trying for an Indo visa.Knocked me back on 5 and a half months on my passport for a 1 month visa.Got an emergency passport from Oz consulate for 6 months,same day got my visa.Luckily Malayasia,Thailand,Nepal and Thailand again were not so pedantic,as my 6 month passport was finally a 1 month passport.Never questioned either,luck of the draw.This was 1986.

The World has moved on since 1986 and for various reasons, Countries, Airlines and Immigration officials are very "Security Aware"

The World has moved on since 1986 and for various reasons, Countries, Airlines and Immigration officials are very "Security Aware"

What's less than 6 months on a valid passport got to do with security?Nothing but over officious.

What's less than 6 months on a valid passport got to do with security?Nothing but over officious.

All I can say is you have an "odd" attitude" toward security.

Best make sure, if you wish to travel, that you meet the "over officious " requirements..