UK Visit Visa For My Wife's Father

Hi all,

Sorry for the long post, but i am looking for some advice please. My wife has recently passed her master degree in the UK. So would like her father to come across to attend the graduation ceremony, which is the of November.

I am just looking for advice as to how we can make the application as easy as possible. Given that me Wife is now a UK national (passport) and in full time work, I am hoping that we shouldn't face to many problems. Below I have listed all the evidence support documents that we have for the application, but if anyone can think of any additional requirements please let me know:

Wife's UK Passport,

My UK Passport,

Farther in-laws passport

Mortgage agreement for house

Wife's wages slips

Wife's Bank statements (show house-keeping money from myself also

University details shows that course have been passed

Farther in-laws pension payment (ex school teacher)

Farther in-laws bank statement

Invite letter

The visa that we are looking to apply for is the visit visa, that i believe can be submitted on-line. The current cost is £87 and processing time approx 2 weeks? Given that the visa is for less than 6 months will my farther in law need to attend regent house in Bangkok to give his bio metrics?

Given that my Wife Visa UK national, will I also need to provide any supporting evidence, such as my wages bank statements ect?

Thank you all for you help.

Regards

Your father in law has to demonstrate that he is going to comply with the terms of any visit visa. Check the pinned visit visa section http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/446602-uk-visit-visa-basics/

You have covered the reason for the visa but not whether the visit is affordable (and who is funding it) nor demonstrated reasons for him to return.

There is quite a lot of work to do and not much time to do it!

Examples of reasons to return - employment (not applicable), property plus any other ties that will convince an Entry Clearance Officer that on the balance of probabilities he will return.

Sadly you cannot just assume that an ECO is going to issue a visa because you know he will return!

As others have said in related threads, the main criteria applicants are judged on for this visa type is if they will in fact return to Thailand. From what I see, your documents show little to no evidence of this. In fact, just the opposite...the embassy may conclude the father intends to, or might decide to, stay with his daughter in the UK.

UK visa applications are submitted to an office in the Trendy Building, Sukhumvit 13 in Bangkok.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Thanks Bob,

You make some valid points. I should have made clear that the farther in-law has a small business in Thailand and some farms. he also has a wife and some grandchildren that they look after, hence the reason why my mother-in-law wont travel.

As for the funds for the trip this will be coming from my wife, who works full time in the UK. Myself I work full time in the UK and from savings. These sources of money will be sent to the embassy with the visa application (Wage slips, savings, bank statement ect)

Thanks again for your help.

Add this to the application. Seem to be perfectly good reasons to return but present these clearly for the ECO to consider.

Having been a little concerned with the information (or lack of) in the original post it looks as if your father in law should be able to present a good application.You need to present a picture that confirms the trip is affordable. There may not be time to reapply if you have left gaps!

Golden rules are:

Don't expect the ECO to just know or try guessing - give them the information.

Don't overload them with trivia!

Thanks Bob,

You make some valid points. I should have made clear that the farther in-law has a small business in Thailand and some farms. he also has a wife and some grandchildren that they look after, hence the reason why my mother-in-law wont travel.

As for the funds for the trip this will be coming from my wife, who works full time in the UK. Myself I work full time in the UK and from savings. These sources of money will be sent to the embassy with the visa application (Wage slips, savings, bank statement ect)

Thanks again for your help.

That describes just about everyone in Issan and are hardly reasons to return (many people reside/work overseas with family or farms back in the home country). If the embassy grants a visa on this basis let us know as others will be interested.

As others have said in related threads, the main criteria applicants are judged on for this visa type is if they will in fact return to Thailand. From what I see, your documents show little to no evidence of this. In fact, just the opposite...the embassy may conclude the father intends to, or might decide to, stay with his daughter in the UK.

UK visa applications are submitted to an office in the Trendy Building, Sukhumvit 13 in Bangkok.

I should have made clear that the farther in-law has a small business in Thailand and some farms. he also has a wife and some grandchildren that they look after, hence the reason why my mother-in-law wont travel.

That describes just about everyone in Issan and are hardly reasons to return (many people reside/work overseas with family or farms back in the home country). If the embassy grants a visa on this basis let us know as others will be interested.

OMGImInPattaya, you originally stated - quite rightly - that it appeared that the OP's father-in-law was lacking reasons to return. The OP subsequently provides reasons to return and you immediately pooh-pooh it.

Owning a business and some smallholdings in LOS is as good as any reason to return. Whether it describes most of the population of Issan is neither here nor there.

The OP's FIL will need to lay it on thick, i.e. exactly what he owns, his income from his business, his responsibilities, staff numbers, to name but a few. A few photos of the business and smallholdings wouldn't go amiss either.

I much prefer these posts whereby the OP is looking for advice prior to submitting an application rather than coming along after a refusal.

I should have made clear that the farther in-law has a small business in Thailand and some farms. he also has a wife and some grandchildren that they look after, hence the reason why my mother-in-law wont travel.

OMGImInPattaya, you originally stated - quite rightly - that it appeared that the OP's father-in-law was lacking reasons to return. The OP subsequently provides reasons to return and you immediately pooh-pooh it.

Owning a business and some smallholdings in LOS is as good as any reason to return. Whether it describes most of the population of Issan is neither here nor there.

The OP's FIL will need to lay it on thick, i.e. exactly what he owns, his income from his business, his responsibilities, staff numbers, to name but a few. A few photos of the business and smallholdings wouldn't go amiss either.

I much prefer these posts whereby the OP is looking for advice prior to submitting an application rather than coming along after a refusal.

All the op added was that the FIL has a wife, some grand kids, some sorta small business, and some farmland...and that the trip was being financed by others. I'm not putting anyone down but like I said, that describes an awefully lot of people in Thailand. I'm just going by what others have reported...even wives of Brits have a heck of a time getting a visit visa and this guy is only a father/FIL. In the eye's of the embassy, these may not be sufficient proof of intent to return to Thailand. I'm sure the officers have heard it all and are a pretty jaded lot.

If that's all he's got for the application then that's all he's got and should submit it and see where the chips fall. It's a near impossible thing to prove a negative (that pappy will not stay in the UK) but unfortunately that's what all applicants have to try to show.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

OMGImInPattaya, on 10 Oct 2015 - 15:12, said:

I'm just going by what others have reported...even wives of Brits have a heck of a time getting a visit visa and this guy is only a father/FIL. In the eye's of the embassy, these may not be sufficient proof of intent to return to Thailand. I'm sure the officers have heard it all and are a pretty jaded lot.

An inherent problem with TV is that of what some people seemingly report.

For example, John Smith reports that Thai FIL has been refused a visit visa because of X, Y and Z. But, on closer inspection FIL has been refused a visit visa on completely unrelated matters of A, B and C.

A lot of refusals are reported by newcomers to the site who thought they knew better but were inadequately prepared by way of poor prior investigation.

I have a lot of time for posters like the OP who have come here for pre-application advice and I stand by my original statement that the FIL owning his own business and some smallholdings is as good a reason as any to corroborate reasons to return. I just don't buy in to your mantra of the OP's FIL's personal circumstance describing just about everyone in Issan and the ECOs having heard it all before. Sorry, but that's nonsense.

Notwithstanding, all other aspects of the application will require to be bolted down so that FIL's application doesn't fall short elsewhere.

I can see nothing in the OP's posts that would suggest a refusal on face value.

• Like 2

OMGImInPattaya, on 10 Oct 2015 - 15:12, said:

I'm just going by what others have reported...even wives of Brits have a heck of a time getting a visit visa and this guy is only a father/FIL. In the eye's of the embassy, these may not be sufficient proof of intent to return to Thailand. I'm sure the officers have heard it all and are a pretty jaded lot.

An inherent problem with TV is that of what some people seemingly report.

For example, John Smith reports that Thai FIL has been refused a visit visa because of X, Y and Z. But, on closer inspection FIL has been refused a visit visa on completely unrelated matters of A, B and C.

A lot of refusals are reported by newcomers to the site who thought they knew better but were inadequately prepared by way of poor prior investigation.

I have a lot of time for posters like the OP who have come here for pre-application advice and I stand by my original statement that the FIL owning his own business and some smallholdings is as good a reason as any to corroborate reasons to return. I just don't buy in to your mantra of the OP's FIL's personal circumstance describing just about everyone in Issan and the ECOs having heard it all before. Sorry, but that's nonsense.

Notwithstanding, all other aspects of the application will require to be bolted down so that FIL's application doesn't fall short elsewhere.

I can see nothing in the OP's posts that would suggest a refusal on face value.

I guess he's all set then so better get online and fill out the application, because it's a 13 page beast of an application, pay his 138 dollars, and set up the appt at the Trendy building for the FIL. Good luck to him ☺

Rushdentillidie,

It seems to me, from what you have said, that your father in law has an excellent chance of success.

Genuine reason to visit? Yes.

Affordable? Yes.

Reason to return? Yes.

Simply fill in the online application print it out for him to sign (or he prints it out,) make the appointment for him to attend VFS to hand in the hard copy of his form, his supporting documents and have his biometrics taken and send him your letter of invitation and supporting documents to take to that appointmant.

My sister in law recently returned to Thailand after spending 6 months in the UK with us and, unlike your father in law, she does not own any property nor does she have a 'proper' job, just casual work.

As well as the pinned topic linked to by Bob above (which does need some updating, though the essentials are the same) I suggest you read through Standard Visitor visa from UKVI.

You should allow three weeks for the application to be processed, though it often takes less than this depending on demand, so don't delay!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the reply s

We are hoping to have the application form, finished today and then send it across to my wife's sister to print in Bangkok. Once the appointment has been booked and we have a date, we will then arrange for my FIL to travel to bangkok and stay with my sister in law for a few days, while he processes the visa at VFS.

Although the supporting evidence that we are sending bank statements wages slips, will be in the format of PDF's, will in be OK for my sister in law to print these off in Thailand and use as part of the application? Given that my wife gets electronic wages slips, and we both have paperless statements from the bank? and we don't have originals.

My FIL will also be bringing proof of his pension, house ownership and land ownership, given that these documents are in Thai, I believe that they will need to be translated. Can anyone recommend any good translation services near the VFS building?

My final questions is current processing times, has anyone had any recent experience in turnaround times for a visit visa?

Thanks again guys for all the help and advice it is much apprenticed. As many you have pointed out i would rather make sure we have everything in order first time round before we submit the application.

Cheers

Officially, bank statements, wage slips etc. should be originals or if printouts/copies certified as correct by the issuer.

However. many people have reported that they have submitted printouts and these have been accepted without any problems.

Yes, any supporting documents not in English (or Welsh) should be accompanied by a translation certified as per the supporting documents guide.

(I'm tempted to submit all documents in Welsh one day to see what the ECOs in Bangkok make of them! I wonder if they have any Welsh speakers stationed there.)

I cannot recommend any particular translation agency; other than suggest avoiding any that are also visa agents as some, not all, will try and sell their visa service as well.

I don't know about the latest processing times; those on the UKVI website say 10 working days, which is how long my sister in law's took in March, but haven't been updated since July!

7by7, on 11 Oct 2015 - 22:37, said:

Yes, any supporting documents not in English (or Welsh) should be accompanied by a translation certified as per the supporting documents guide.

(I'm tempted to submit all documents in Welsh one day to see what the ECOs in Bangkok make of them! I wonder if they have any Welsh speakers stationed there.)

The UKVI team may well have read your posts on this 7by7 as they now say:

Not welsh.pdf

• Like 1

If you don't mind, I would like to piggy-back this question onto this thread as it is related to a UK visit visa but doesn't really warrant its own separate thread. As I mentioned in a previous post, I submitted a visit visa application recently and received an email from the embassy this afternoon that "YOUR UK VISA APPLICATION DECISION IS READY FOR COLLECTION" please read below..." The rest says that the passport/supporting documents will be ready for pickup from VFS two days from the date of the email (or mailed if that was pre-paid for). Nowhere in the email does it say if the visa was granted or not...just that the passport and documents are ready for collection (which would have to be done regardless of the decision). So my question is: If the visa was denied, would the email notice specifically say so or do all applicants gets this generic pick-up notice and don't know the result until they open their passport?

Thanks.

PS: I submitted the application on the 5th and it's now the 15th so it took 9 working days to process...someone was asking about this.

The email from the UKVI normally says that a decision has been made, it's an automated response when the ECO has finished considering the application, I should say that's what the email used to say.

The pack containing the passport and supporting papers then has to go to the VFS office, obviously they're done in bulk and the VFS staff need to log the package onto their system.

In answer to your question, yes it's a generic email to say that a decision has been made and it's sent to all applicants.

Good luck

My sister in law received two emails.

The first from the embassy:

YOUR UK VISA APPLICATION DECISION IS READY FOR COLLECTION : please read below

UK Visas and Immigration has made a decision on your visa application and this email explains how your documents will be returned to you.
• THAILAND APPLICANTS: your passport/documents will be ready for collection from the Bangkok visa application centre on the 2nd working day after you receive this email. Collection times are Monday-Friday 10.00 - 16.00 and Saturday 08.30 - 12.00.

• CAMBODIA & VIETNAM APPLICANTS: documents can be collected from the visa application centre where you submitted your application after 4 working days.
Collection times are:
Pnom Penh: Monday & Thursday 11:00 - 15:00
Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City: Monday-Friday 13:00 - 16:00

LAOS APPLICANTS: if you applied using the local visa service in Vientiane, your documents and passport will be sent by courier to your nominated address.

ALL APPLICANTS: if you paid an additional courier or postage fee, documents will be sent to you.

Then, two days later, one from VFS:

The processed visa application for GWF reference number - xxxxxxxxxxxxx was received at the UK Visa Application Centre on 3/3/2015 .

If a courier service was purchased from VFS Global, your processed application will be delivered to the chosen address.

If not, your documents can be collected during the designated passport collection times.

As the result of an application is considered confidential, the applicant wont know this until they receive the package and open it.

My sister in law received two emails.

The first from the embassy:

YOUR UK VISA APPLICATION DECISION IS READY FOR COLLECTION : please read below

UK Visas and Immigration has made a decision on your visa application and this email explains how your documents will be returned to you.

• THAILAND APPLICANTS: your passport/documents will be ready for collection from the Bangkok visa application centre on the 2nd working day after you receive this email. Collection times are Monday-Friday 10.00 - 16.00 and Saturday 08.30 - 12.00.

• CAMBODIA & VIETNAM APPLICANTS: documents can be collected from the visa application centre where you submitted your application after 4 working days.

Collection times are:

Pnom Penh: Monday & Thursday 11:00 - 15:00

Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City: Monday-Friday 13:00 - 16:00

LAOS APPLICANTS: if you applied using the local visa service in Vientiane, your documents and passport will be sent by courier to your nominated address.

ALL APPLICANTS: if you paid an additional courier or postage fee, documents will be sent to you.

Then, two days later, one from VFS:

The processed visa application for GWF reference number - xxxxxxxxxxxxx was received at the UK Visa Application Centre on 3/3/2015 .

If a courier service was purchased from VFS Global, your processed application will be delivered to the chosen address.

If not, your documents can be collected during the designated passport collection times.

As the result of an application is considered confidential, the applicant wont know this until they receive the package and open it.

Just kinda weird...I mean, it's the applicant's email...the one they submitted on the application so can't understand any concerns re confidentiality. I know it doesn't change the outcome but does keep the applicant in suspense a few more days...they could just add in whether it's been approved or declined. Easy to have two stock emails for this purpose.

Emails are not secure.

I appreciate that most applicants probably wouldn't care whether someone else read their email and knew their application result; but some would and UKVI could find themselves in court for sending the result by an unsecure method. Odd though it may seem, this come sunder the Data Protection Act.

OK, even a sealed package can be opened by an unauthorised person; but other than calling the applicant in to receive the news in person, it's the best option for retaining confidentiality.

Frustrating though the extra wait can be.

• 3 weeks later...