Perception of an English teacher dating ladyboys

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right forum, but I think I am because I would like to know if it would effect my job as an English teacher if my colleagues and boss knew that I dated ladyboys. Would this have a negative impact on my job? Would this result in lots of negative gossiping about me? Could it result in my contract not being renewed? How do Thais generally perceive farangs who date ladyboys? Are they accepting of this?

These are serious questions. No jokes or negative slurs, please.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think every teacher needs to keep their personal and work lives quite separate. The golden rule should be that what you do outside school should not affect what you do at school. I would agree with the first reply - it's your private life, keep it that way. If your interest in lady boys gets into the school community it is self-evident that it will impact on how you are perceived by your colleagues and the school's management and if students become aware then it could affect your ability to teach effectively.

As said keep your business private.

However, I would not want a "teacher" , who frequents the underworld , teaching children of mine!

Did your employer require a full disclosure of any past convictions?

Edited by oncearugge

However, I would not want a "teacher" , who frequents the underworld , teaching children of mine!

"Underworld"?? What are you talking about?

You make this sound so totally negative, which the Thais are much more open minded about.

You make this sound so totally negative, which the Thais are much more open minded about.

Many Thais would not wish to employ or be associated with this "teachers" friends.

Yeah, seriously what are you talking about??? I'm not talking about going to ladyboy bars. I'm talking about dating normal ladyboys who have normal jobs.

Yeah, seriously what are you talking about??? I'm not talking about going to ladyboy bars. I'm talking about dating normal ladyboys who have normal jobs.

"Normal" ladyboys?

Do they have ID which identifies them as "ladyboys"?

Someone is showing a rather marked bias, and surprised he is living here.

"Someone" is merely expressing opinion!

Private lives should be kept Private.

As already observed by another "someone" failure to maintain "Personal Privacy" could result in negative outcomes.

Rule 1 for being a teacher anywhere in the world.

Never live near your school, or allow your pupils to know where you live

Rule 2 for being a teacher anywhere in the world.

If you are a sexual deviant, hide it well.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Never mind the underworld, what about the underpants that he's frequenting?

What a weird reply

is your name ''Fred Flintstone'' from the ''Phrestoric Days'' ???

What a weird reply

Are there many "ladyboy" fanciers/daters employed as "teachers" in your country of origin?

Do these "teachers" flaunt their lifestyle choice as the OP seems to do?

"That strategy isn't so easy because I'm renting an apartment close to my school, so I'll be bumping into students and colleagues fairly regularly."

What a weird reply

Are there many "ladyboy" fanciers/daters employed as "teachers" in your country of origin?

"That strategy isn't so easy because I'm renting an apartment close to my school, so I'll be bumping into students and colleagues fairly regularly."

I went to School to be educated, not to pry into ''Teachers Private Lives''.. Thank God, i did not have a parent like you.. i would of topped myself years ago.

ever heard the expression ''Live and let Live''...

What a weird reply

I went to School to be educated, not to pry into ''Teachers Private Lives''.. Thank God, i did not have a parent like you.. i would of topped myself years ago.

A fine concept if the "living" does not impact negatively on me or my family.

Although Thailand is the world hub for ladyboys and their ilk, not to mention people who like to

associate with them, being Thais or foreigners, still though, people in this country, Thais and

non Thais, frown up people who keeps their company, call it what you like, it is what it is,

and if one want to have a normal life in Thailand, best he refrain or keep this as a very well

hidden business to himself...

Grave error of judgement living near your school, too many students will know you, you have no private life and if found dating lady boys you are out of work and possibly long term unemployable.

As said.Keep your professional and privates lives very far apart.

Regarding your ''dating of lady boys,'' your gender preferences are your own affair, but be aware you would also be ostracized for dating short time girls too, the ladyboy factor is not a sole reason for finger pointing.

Either move,or avail yourself of one of the many ''short time hotels'' that abound in Bangkok and elsewhere too..

Edited by arfurcrown

Thailand and its communities are small places, and I think it's pretty difficult for anyone to eventually avoid running into people from your work when you're out and around.

My wife and I live in central BKK, and she works at a large school in one of the suburbs. And yet, we regularly end up running into students or staff from her school when we're out and around town.

So, if the OP is planning on being out and around town on his "dates," I wouldn't hold out much hope that someone from his school, student or staff, isn't eventually going to see him.

Perhaps you should attempt to keep your personal life you know like personal? Problem solved.

That strategy isn't so easy because I'm renting an apartment close to my school, so I'll be bumping into students and colleagues fairly regularly.

Move?

Very laudable of you, unfortunately a small percentage of pupils in every school attend with the intention of making everyone else's life hell.

The thug/bully element will show to mercy on anyone.

If they find where a teacher lives, his cars will be damaged, garden destroyed, and the buildings defaced on a regular basis. Not to mention there will be a danger to his young children or pets.

Any personal quirks or weakness, no matter how small or innocuous, will be mercilessly used against him, ranging from graffiti on the school toilet walls to false accusations of impropriety.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Very laudable of you, unfortunately a small percentage of pupils in every school attend with the intention of making everyone else's life hell.

The thug/bully element will show no mercy on anyone.

If they find where a teacher lives, his cars will be damaged, garden destroyed, and the buildings defaced on a regular basis. Not to mention there will be a danger to his young children or pets.

Any personal quirks or weakness, no matter how small or innocuous, will be mercilessly used against him, ranging from graffiti on the school toilet walls to false accusations of impropriety.

All the more reason for the OP not to flaunt his lifestyle.

However, he has probably already been "outed"

Your private life is nothing to do with your students.

You should also do nothing that makes it so.

At most schools, even at primary schools are "ladyboy students."

If the OP's attracted to them, it's quite difficult to "hide" his feelings if there're plenty of ladyboys attending the school, where he's teaching. There's no such a thing as "normal ladyboys".

How do you define a normal ladyboy? What's an abnormal ladyboy?

My ex-neighbors were "ladyboy teachers" and pretty much all ladyboys from several schools showed up at their house from time to time.

So why would the OP want to move right next to the school, if he wants to date ladyboys? What goes around, comes around.

OP, you're not doing something wrong, but some people at your school will use it against you.

Once the students are aware of your sexual preference, you might have a new nickname, you wouldn't like to hear day by day.....

Just don't date students of your own and other schools.

. If I were you, I'd not move into a house/room next to the school where you're working. .

"I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right forum, but I think I am because I would like to know if it would effect my job as an English teacher if my colleagues and boss knew that I dated ladyboys."

I used to teach English at a school in Bangkok and one of my fellow farang teachers had a ladyboy "girlfriend". Eventually word got around, as it always does, but the Thai students didn't seem to care, nor did the (farang) manager of the school, nor did the other teachers, although it was a bit awkward at times when the occasional ladyboy joke would slip out in the teacher's room at lunchtime. Ladyboy-ism is a part of Thai life. So I would say that it shouldn't affect your job.

That being said, I think you need to be more concerned with the effect of your English knowledge on your job as an English teacher rather than the fact that you date transvestites.

English teacher in my son's school was sacked after he was spotted regularly by pupils sitting outside his house drinking beer after school.

Now if you married the ladyboy it would probably ok.

Marry?

How would that be achieved?

Thailand does not allow or recognise same sex marriage.

Does the OP have any common sense at all?

Meanwhile, apparently he can pick and choose what and when he can write on the forum but the rest of us must not make "jokes or negative slurs".

You want it all your own way OP, so just go for it and live with the consequences.

As if the Thais aren't already full of misconceptions about us, you'll do a fine job for the rest of us.