Dual-pricing in Thailand: Is it time to do away with the ‘farang tax’?

Jonathan Fairfield

Yes, in fact it is long over due!

Its just because whitey farang accepts the dual pricing it is still here.

If us whiteys began protesting about this, they would have to change the rules, or they would lose lots of tourists/customers

If you think the price is too much, don't pay it! Easy peasy.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should be looked as a discount for Thai citizens. In the USA, Virginia driver's license gives a person a huge discount on various state operated venures.

The assumption is that a citizen pays taxes with part of their tax money going to support the operation. If it is a private enterprise it is simply up to them. they can give

Thai people a discount if they desire.

If we don't pay a higher price, I predict a lot of places going out of business, or at the least, the services will suffer. So I'm in favor of it- not as a markup for me, but as a discount for the locals who can then afford to contribute to the overhead of running the places I enjoy..

Big deal if I have to pay $5.70 instead of $0.57 to get in to the venue made notorious by this week's American tweeter. If that's going to ruin my day, I have bigger problems than dual pricing.

Edited by impulse

mattpatt, every Thai is shivering when you enter his/her restaurant or shop. You seem to be the guy who hopes that it is done to you that you can let loose your daily dose of rant.

The question is, who is loosing face.

I'm sure, you give a shit to it.

It should be looked as a discount for Thai citizens. In the USA, Virginia driver's license gives a person a huge discount on various state operated venures.

The assumption is that a citizen pays taxes with part of their tax money going to support the operation. If it is a private enterprise it is simply up to them. they can give

Thai people a discount if they desire.

So that Virginia license would give the discount to a Thai national residing there

i remember some year ago when we arrived in koh samet by speed boat , the police guy come to us , i speak thai to him and i pay 20b the entry for national park and my family falang price 200b 555555. If you can speak thai most time they will let you come like a thai

Driving licence has worked for me many times but I hear that it doesn't work everywhere.

I can vouch that is DOES NOT work at the "Kaeng Krachan National Park" about 60K west of Hua Hin. I was livid when I went there and they refused to consider my license when they knew damn well most other national parks do let you in at the Thai price.

The Grand Palace in Bangkok is the worst. They charge 400 baht for falang (or they did last time I went), irregardless of whether or not you have a Thai license and what is really irritating is Thais get in for free.

Tis 500bt these days.. Not worth it IMO

I have lived here for over 2 years married to a lovely Thai lady as I say to her, I only spend my pension a month, if a Thai ripps me off he / she is ripping off the country their own. I know not a lot of Thais do care about this, but in our village and the nearest town we shop in they all know how I think so it's good to see my pension spread around.

Went to the Grand Palace last week price now 500Baht my wife went on for free Thai lisence does not work

that why i never want to go there 500b just crazy

same like in france the castle there french people dont pay but foreign torurist pay should be good like that but it not

everyone pay or no one , when i see at siam paragon 1000b for go to the aquarium and 200 300b for thai people that just crazy

Edited by thai006

It would be a good start. I know alot of friends who wont come back ever because they felt cheated and discriminated against. Nothing right about it and it sets the stage for nations rip of the visitor day....

"...who wont come back ever because they felt cheated and discriminated against.."

You must be joking. I can't imagine anyone I know being that petty or cheap. The farang fear of losing face is obviously even a greater disability than I thought.

Whatever I pay, I still think its cheap, try comparing to prices back home. If the UK government started to charge foreigners more than the its own citisens, would we complain?

We wouldnt but the Thai's would of that you can be sure.

Please let me know if I am mistaken, aside from Tourists, but regarding Foreigners who live here, do you not pay the Thai price if you show a Thai driving license or yellow book?

Short answer.... No!! Experience has been, seen as a 'farang'; no exception whether been here long term or not. You're always a 'farang'.

When Thai's introduce themselves and ask me who I am, I reply a farang.It really pisses them off.

I also really love restaurants, bars etc. not returning with my 20 or 30 baht change as they just presumed that I was going to offer it as a tip. Well I would have done and possibly more if they'd shown willing, but when this happens I just demand my money and leave, never to return.

oink?

this is not dual pricing or overcharging. it's lack of basic manners, lack of professionalism, and plain rude.

where are you stationed? some touristy spot i reckon where they consider farang a waste.

and of course you demand your change and leave without 1 satang tip. good service is not over until you get back your change. then and only then you decide to tip or not. unheard what you post here.

To be honest, Thai people are still quite obsessed about the pale skin — the paler, the more beautiful, despite their ethnic background. It started more than 20 years ago when so-called 'whitening' cosmetics was heavily propagandized in Thailand.

Those advertisements were so powerful as they planted the skin myth to the kids' young minds. As a result, I, among many other tanned-skin kids, got discriminated, insulted, and even verbally abused at school. One of my teachers said this to me in front of the class: "Although you're *black* and look appalling ("รูปชั่วตัวดำ" /rûup chuâ, tua dam/ in Thai), you're very good at this subject," instantly making me a minging dunce out of the blue. Some of my classmates addressed me as *black* for fun throughout my school/uni years.

At present, this situation has started to lift and things are getting a little bit better compared to those days. People speak out for their rights and stand up against discriminating comments about skin tones. Still, I wish to see some more improvement in Thailand's entertainment industry, where around 80% of the actors have a pale skin. As the skin myth slowly disperses, racist discrimination will one day be eradicated from Thailand.

P.S. I however encourage Thai people to use sun screen. Medically speaking, it prevents the ultraviolet rays that cause melanoma and other types of skin cancer.

When the duel pricing, discrimination and violent crime out way the good aspects of being in Thailand the majority of tourists and expats will choose somewhere else to live and visit and the Thais and authorities may realize they killed the goose that lays the golden eggs, but they won't see that coming until it's way to late!

Please let me know if I am mistaken, aside from Tourists, but regarding Foreigners who live here, do you not pay the Thai price if you show a Thai driving license or yellow book?

Short answer.... No!! Experience has been, seen as a 'farang'; no exception whether been here long term or not. You're always a 'farang'.

When Thai's introduce themselves and ask me who I am, I reply a farang.It really pisses them off.

only at sukothai and the grand palace they want i pay falang price , other place i speak that to them and they let me in

This associates being dark with working in the sun and in one citation suggests being whiter is relates to looking like a white person (Caucasian, Westerner), but it doesn't seem so clear how those preferences evolved. My understanding is that in the distant past the Thai ethnic group (also referred to as Tai) immigrated from China, with other main groups being indigenous population and other immigrants from other places. Today one of the main racial backgrounds is much more recent Chinese immigration. I can't define any specific origin trends related to the Thai upper class but it seems likely some of these could relate to a color preference background more than Western foreigners.

Heaven help!

Could all the above mean, that Thai's don't like us, have generally no use for Foreigners whatsoever only the size of our wallets counts? What a horrible thought! Every time I enter a Restaurant, and receive the usual "Welcome Sir", do they actually mean "Welcome your Wallet Sir" ?

Is the only conciliation, that their neighbors (Cambodians, Laotians, Burmese) are even less liked by Thai's than "Western Farangs"? Possibly due to the fact that most of those people do not even have a wallet?

Surely, many years ago, when I was full of "Thainess", such thoughts would never have crossed my mind.

Cheers.

It would be a good start. I know alot of friends who wont come back ever because they felt cheated and discriminated against. Nothing right about it and it sets the stage for nations rip of the visitor day....

Serious? What, did the 200 baht national park fee break their budget?

Hope they didn't go to Malaysia, Leos, Cambodia . . .

Never bothered me, more to worry about than a few dollars; as per post above, look at it as a discount to the Thai people

Actually i believe it is 40 and 400 baht if "Westerner" in most National parks now.

Put that into perspective the minimum wage is 300 baht. So if in the UK for example, would people accept paying 60 pound + to enter a park?

A ten fold difference is not a "tax"!

"Natural history museum in London etc. free to all, including tourists"

Visa for Brits to Thailand free and easy, visa fee for Thais to UK ????.

Best is you stay in the museum as an exhibit for human ....!

And best you stay in the circus clap2.gifcheesy.gif

Generally no. Occasionally a driving license works but it seems to be up to the guy at the gate. You have to make sure you get the right ticket that gives the price. You might get one with the price for a Thai national but paid the extra. Tea is expensive!

If there's one topic that polarizes TV members it's the old "dual pricing" chestnut.

that's because some farang will always get into all sorts of sh/t here no matter what (women, overcharging, odd accidents, theft, etc) and others - for some strange reason ermm.gif - swim like a fish in the ocean known as thailand. the worst that happened to me sofar was losing my wallet (175thb + kasikorn card + expired DL) and another time I lost 1000 thb (not having closed my jacket) and (haha) this woman i know went looking for it (stretch of 7km) with her scooter as i told her she could keep half if she found it. TIT!

I am a Permanent Resident, and have a Blue Book. They tell me that, it makes no difference I am not Thai.