17-18yr old - pcx or cbr250

speedtripler

17yo family (Thai) is allowed to get a new bike (up to 60k)

I suggested a pcx or something like that

But there is a used cbr250 same price as the pcx and he wants that and his mother asked me is it too dangerous ?

I told her they are both dangerous but he will probably crash the cbr easier than the auto...

Given the choice I wouldn't have wanted a slower bike at his age either....

Does anyone think a teenager should be allowed a cbr yet ?

I had a Gilera SP02 at 16. 125cc 2 stroke, over 30hp.

The bike is secondary. The most important thing is to ride responsibly.

You said he will get a new bike, so I imagine he rode something else before? If not, a proper schooling is in order.

He can ride a wave 110cc already like most Thai kids and he is pretty good controlling it

I vote for pcx but final decision not mine

The Honda safety school in ramkamheng Rd has a good 1week safety course I'll recommend regardless..

In future there will be a lot more "big" bikes affordable to the young because used ones now are about same cheap as a new scooter

God help Thai Road safety when the used 650's get that cheap... :(

Firstly, what is the purpose of him acquiring a motorcycle?

I'm also 18 years old, my dad bought me a scooter when I was 16 so I could ride my own butt to school. Now I'm looking at getting a 300cc bike for pleasure (automatic is boring) and being able to travel anywhere I want in Thailand. If he has the same reason as mine, then get a CBR250. But if hes just getting a new motorcycle just for the sake of having his own transportation and he isn't interested in motorcycles or traveling to other provinces, then a PCX would be the answer.

I fail to see the logic behind different levels of dangers on a motorcycle. In my eyes, all motorcycles are equally dangerous. If you're talking about the weight of the motorcycle, between a PCX and CBR250, there isn't much of a difference, PCX weighs 140 kg and the CBR250 is 160 kg. That and you get used to the weight, whether you ride a 300kg Harley or a 100kg scooter. I've seen a thin guy handle his Harley better than a buffed farang on a Click.

If I've been riding a Wave, the last thing I want is another slow scooter. I rather ride a Wave than a PCX, it's much much more practical for city riding and 150cc is sluggish for anything but city driving. The Wave narrow, agile, and you blend in with the typical traffic. Am I advertising a Wave now?

But he already has experience on two wheels, the obvious answer is CBR250.