Non smoking bars

Gordy Gambino

It's a pox on people's liberties. There's nothing healthy about paid sex or drinking. It's simply another invasion of people's right to choose their poison. Smoking doesn't belong in schools, hospitals, shoppping centers, etc. but in bars? That's where it belongs.

Drinking belongs in bars, not breathing in somebodys elses foul smelling smoke, but try telling that to a selfish smoker.

38 years I've smoked until a week ago. Love going to Patts. Craving a cigarette and haven't even got on plane yet.

Same for the way back.

Teelak say you want smoke go to toilet in loom.

So had to give up 1 of 2 things...smoking or banging da ting tong.

I'm as toey as a Roman sandle.lol.

Just hope the damage done to poor little Gordy is irreversible. The other brain I use after leaving the main one at Swampy.

It's a pox on people's liberties. There's nothing healthy about paid sex or drinking. It's simply another invasion of people's right to choose their poison. Smoking doesn't belong in schools, hospitals, shoppping centers, etc. but in bars? That's where it belongs.

Drinking belongs in bars, not breathing in somebodys elses foul smelling smoke, but try telling that to a selfish smoker.

Yawn. Yeah, tell that to all the bars that have gone out of business since smoking bans were introduced in places like the UK.

If non-smokers were bringing in enough business to make bars sustainable. Bars would go no-smoking without compulsion. But that doesn't make for an interesting story does it?

I quit smoking ages ago. But really, couldn't care less about smokers in bars.

The non-smoker is the selfish one. They don't spend enough to make bars viable - but they expect the bar to accomodate their whining uneconomic behaviour all the same.

Yawn. Yeah, tell that to all the bars that have gone out of business since smoking bans were introduced in places like the UK.

If non-smokers were bringing in enough business to make bars sustainable. Bars would go no-smoking without compulsion. But that doesn't make for an interesting story does it?

The non-smoker is the selfish one. They don't spend enough to make bars viable - but they expect the bar to accomodate their whining uneconomic behaviour all the same.

First of all, well done to the stopping smoking, it doesn't bother you, it bothers me and a lot of other non smokers. When I'm eating my fish and chips I want tomato sauce on my fish and not the taste of nicotine. Many people have died through passive smoking, so if you don't mind inhaling other peoples smoke good for you.

First of all, well done to the stopping smoking, it doesn't bother you, it bothers me and a lot of other non smokers. When I'm eating my fish and chips I want tomato sauce on my fish and not the taste of nicotine. Many people have died through passive smoking, so if you don't mind inhaling other peoples smoke good for you.

Bars shouldn't serve food. Most Go-Go bars certainly don't serve food. Restaurants are where people go to eat. Bars are where they go to smoke, drink and (quite often in SE Asia) get laid.

Go eat your fish and chips in a restaurant. While you're there read the real data on passive smoking and then compare it to passive exhaust/industrial pollution's effect on your lungs. Then realize you're whining about the wrong thing. Want a healthier life? It's easy. Ban emissions from factories and then ban private vehicle use - public transport or nothing. Not much fun mind you but infinitely more useful than whining about passive smoking.

Bars shouldn't serve food. Most Go-Go bars certainly don't serve food. Restaurants are where people go to eat. Bars are where they go to smoke, drink and (quite often in SE Asia) get laid.

Go eat your fish and chips in a restaurant. While you're there read the real data on passive smoking and then compare it to passive exhaust/industrial pollution's effect on your lungs. Then realize you're whining about the wrong thing. Want a healthier life? It's easy. Ban emissions from factories and then ban private vehicle use - public transport or nothing. Not much fun mind you but infinitely more useful than whining about passive smoking.

I'm certainly not whining, just telling as it is, smoking is a filthy habit and those who indulge in it are selfish and have no considerations for peoples health, so put that in your pipe and smoke it!

As I life long non smoker myself, I don't think smoking should be banned in bars or pubs, if non smokers don't like it they don't have to go in, but

restaurants or any eating places, smoking should definitely be banned as we all have to eat.

Back in the UK, I had my own way of dealing with people smoking when I am eating, and believe me it was very effective.

Read my post #15.

I think if u look around u will find u are in a 'restaurant' in the sitch u describe above, not a bar as the OP described. Edited by mikebike

I'm certainly not whining, just telling as it is, smoking is a filthy habit and those who indulge in it are selfish and have no considerations for peoples health, so put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Supposing smoking was allowed on planes, how many smokers would say "I won't smoke as it is unfair on non smokers"?

Your honest answer would tell you how selfish smokers are.

Wow, there are some fossilised opinions in the pro-smoking camp.

Smoking is anti-social... So is anything else which negatively impacts others nearby.... that includes 'loud' phone use etc...

In short, if someone is doing something which immediate impacts others they can stop or find an alternative, in this case the alternative is the 'smoking area' either outside or in a different room - I think this is fair enough, especially for non-smokers.

Drinking is for Bars - Smoking in the Smoking area outside is fine. The person who is happy to sit there and allow his smoke to offend others is nothing other than selfish and self-centered.

Bars in the UK have not gone out of business due to the smoking ban. They have gone out of business due to the increasing prices of alcohol in bars and the cheapening of alcohol in the supermarkets - this combined with a declining economy and a consumer less willing to spend than in the decades past.

On the other hand, it was reported that some have actually started smoking.... in loud clubs and bars smoking outside in the 'smoking' area has created a new social lubricant... people taking 'time out' and chatting with each other while having a cigarette...

This is the opinion of someone who enjoys a smoke when I have a drink... but I have always hated the fact that my smoke impacts others to such a point that even before the smoking ban I'd pop outside and smoke instead, especially if no one else near me was smoking.

Its antisocial and the social thing to do is to have consideration for others... it really is that simple...

Wow, there are some fossilised opinions in the pro-smoking camp.

Smoking is anti-social... So is anything else which negatively impacts others nearby.... that includes 'loud' phone use etc...

In short, if someone is doing something which immediate impacts others they can stop or find an alternative, in this case the alternative is the 'smoking area' either outside or in a different room - I think this is fair enough, especially for non-smokers.

Drinking is for Bars - Smoking in the Smoking area outside is fine. The person who is happy to sit there and allow his smoke to offend others is nothing other than selfish and self-centered.

Bars in the UK have not gone out of business due to the smoking ban. They have gone out of business due to the increasing prices of alcohol in bars and the cheapening of alcohol in the supermarkets - this combined with a declining economy and a consumer less willing to spend than in the decades past.

On the other hand, it was reported that some have actually started smoking.... in loud clubs and bars smoking outside in the 'smoking' area has created a new social lubricant... people taking 'time out' and chatting with each other while having a cigarette...

This is the opinion of someone who enjoys a smoke when I have a drink... but I have always hated the fact that my smoke impacts others to such a point that even before the smoking ban I'd pop outside and smoke instead, especially if no one else near me was smoking.

Its antisocial and the social thing to do is to have consideration for others... it really is that simple...

Theres certainly no excuse in Thailand, its not exactly too cold outside to 'enjoy' a fag.

I thought there is a smoking ban in place for bars already? Fine 2000 Baht. More for owners who allow illegal smoking.

It is a good comprise for employees and customers is it not? The larger Chiang Mai pubs have smoking areas.

The only drawback I can see is when they banned smoking in some of these venues one could really tell how foul they smelled inside, when no longer masked by a powerful odour of tobacco.

Minging backpackers, the stale sweat of old men and spilled beer, and generally unclean conditions.

Edited by arunsakda