kao sarn road copy copy?

Thian

We did our yearly visit to kao sarn again and i noticed loads of Adidas and the lot. Also many brandname backpacks for sale.

But are those real? I can't see if they are copy copy so can anybody tell me? The price is high enough to be real.

The atmosphere in the area is good, i like all those bars and restaurants in farang style.

For me i can only tell if they are real by buying and using it. The washingmachine is a good test or using the zippers a few hundred times is.

But i thought copy copy is illegal to sell , there is a huge quantity there so it must be real then.

In the past i bought some "Deuter" backpacks for 100 baht and they lasted a week, that was a bad copy i guess. But now i saw them for 1000 baht and don't know if they're real or not. Also they have Samsonite suitcases for sale, i never heard of those being copied.

They are real.. Its illegal to sell fake goods in Thailand.

Sent from my c64

I guess you're right, seen the huge quantity of brandnamed goods there it must be real. Also the police was patrolling the area a lot i noticed.

But still it wonders me why some of those brandname goods didn't have the YKK zippers sewn into them. Good brands only use those zippers.

For me i can only tell if they are real by buying and using it. The washingmachine is a good test or using the zippers a few hundred times is.

But i thought copy copy is illegal to sell , there is a huge quantity there so it must be real then.

In the past i bought some "Deuter" backpacks for 100 baht and they lasted a week, that was a bad copy i guess. But now i saw them for 1000 baht and don't know if they're real or not. Also they have Samsonite suitcases for sale, i never heard of those being copied.

What did you expect for 100thb? Lol

Sent from my c64

Wasn't there a recent quote from one of the ruling government officials that there is no prostitution in Bangkok because they have a law against it?

Cheap backpacks marked "Spirit" are especially bad. The shoulder straps are sewn into the topseam with no re-inforcement and will detach the first time any kind of a load is carried.

My GF's niece bought one for B200 for school and it didn't last a week.

Sent from my c64

I guess you're right, seen the huge quantity of brandnamed goods there it must be real. Also the police was patrolling the area a lot i noticed.

But still it wonders me why some of those brandname goods didn't have the YKK zippers sewn into them. Good brands only use those zippers.

You think it's impossible to copy ykk zippers?

Sent from my c64

Everything can be copied but for some reason i've never seen copycopy YKK-zippers.

I've seen The North Face jackets without them in the MBK so that made them suspicious but lately i learned that the North face in Thailand only gives 2 years warranty on backpacks while they give lifetime warranty in Europe. So why is that? They have 2 grades of their products? This was in a real TNF-shop, at least that's what i think it was, it was in Central Westgate.

But actually i also guess the whole Kaosarn-road is full of copy copy but how can we know it? And all those Adidas outlets i see all over BKK i don't know if they are real. I even bought real (i guess) Nike runners in the sale in big malls and they lasted 3 weeks before the soles came loose. That never happened to me in Europe.

So what's real and what's not is the big question. I prefer to buy in Europe or Singapore anyway because they have my size there.

Also i bought a backpack from Sierra in Sportsworld Central Chidlom, lifetime warranty (2000+ baht). After a week there was a hole in it from touching my velcro pocket in my shorts.but i didn;t get any service nor a new one. The shorts were Camel Active, how should i know those 2 brands bite eachother?

And camel active shorts have a button which comes loose after 4 weeks, i had many pairs with the same problem, bought in the real dealerships.

Anyway, what are good brands these days who do give good service and warranty? I'm tired of all the crap and would rather pay more for good quality.

I also had a Carhartt jacket 20 years ago, it lasted for 10 years without any problems. I bought one in Paragon last year but the zipper isn't going smooth.

It seems good qualitybrands don't exist anymore these days.

Sent from my c64

Sure do they always come out as YYK zippers whistling.gif

They just can't help themselves thumbsup.gif

A lot of things are made in Cambodia, Vietnam and every factory has seconds. Products that make the grade to be sold in USA, Europe etc.. They could be factory seconds or Chinese first grade copies. In the fake watches you see there are different grades of fakes. Good fakes (A) can last over two years with out a problem but will run 2K+ the ones that are offered on Sukhumvit by the guys walking up to and reaching into their shoulder bags are selling (D) quality. Last about a week if your lucky.

I remember reading a couple of years ago about Ray Ban taking a seller to court from around the Khao San Rd area. it turned out in court that the 200 Baht copy ray bans gave more UV protection than the very expensive originals cheesy.gif

Of course they did,I can imagine the Thai courts going to the expense of testing Somchais 200 baht copies in the lab.

I remember reading a couple of years ago about Ray Ban taking a seller to court from around the Khao San Rd area. it turned out in court that the 200 Baht copy ray bans gave more UV protection than the very expensive originals cheesy.gif

Of course they did,I can imagine the Thai courts going to the expense of testing Somchais 200 baht copies in the lab.

Do you realise just how many fakes are produced each year ? It is BIG business

Why would someone write a court report that was fiction ? You believe what you want

Oh and I never pay more than 50 baht for my " originals "

Why would someone write a court report that was fiction ? You believe what you want

And the court report led to the conclusion that Somchais were better than those of Bausch and Lomb and that selling copies is ok,hence the abundance of fakes in Thailand.

Unless they are in a reputable shop and retail for a similar price to the west they will be fakes definitely 100%. Only worth buying if big discount. I bought one for 500 baht I think a few years ago, looked really good, the shoulder strap as mentioned above couldn't take any decent weight and started to tear within a year. And they have some kind of cartel going down that road they fix a minimum sale price.

You can usually determine copy athletic shoes by closely examining the stitching. Nike, Adidas and other top line manufacturers are really anal about perfect stitching. If you look at the stitched seams between the sole and the upper, the genuine brands will be perfectly straight and flawless while knock-offs will almost always have imperfections and wavy stitch lines.

I agree that with backpacks, the zippers tell the story. If you can pull a closed zipper apart easily, it's a knock-off.

I don't know if this is true or not but I was told that with watches, top genuine brands have one minute sweep hands that run perfectly smooth while cheaper brands and knock-offs sweep hands jump second to second. Can anybody confirm this?

And the court report led to the conclusion that Somchais were better than those of Bausch and Lomb and that selling copies is ok,hence the abundance of fakes in Thailand.

I think if I remember rightly it was a shop that was selling them but charging top / real money for them and was saying in his defence he believed they were originals that is how they ended up being checked. they turned out to be fakes but very good ones as they gave better protection than the real ones. Not all copies are bad as long as you know they are and are paying copy prices. There are certain things which I would always go for high end real products and some things which I have no problem buying fake. Up to you as they like to say here wink.png

Also those The North Face jackets with fleecevest for 2500 are pretty good. But to make them every piece of fabric has to be copied since they have their brandname woven in it. My wife thinks they are B-choice but real.

Sunglasses i always buy the cheapest ones but last year i found a brand from Japan which is really good. They are safetyglasses for construction but come in many taints. I use them on the motorbike. 100 baht for those which is fine. Also bought 3M sunglasses , real ones i guess, but they are crap.

I got some Asics running shoes from a nice shop in a fancy mall in ChiangMai. Full price. Guess what? The shoes turned out to be FAKE!

Copy goods are ubiquitous here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surprising. To be honest I wouldn't buy full price "genuine" goods as you can't/shouldn't trust it in Thailand.

You're right on that. They only way to guarantee one is buying genuine is to go through the big Sports Shops

and chains. I would probably not trust anything in Thailand other than the Adidas store

The shoes were Asics Gel-Kayano. Been buying them for years (Sports Authority in Narita, Foot Locker in USA)

They were not total junk just something "not right".

So I do a little internet research and find out they are copies. Some of these shoes come from the same

China sweatshops. They cut costs substituting materials, make additional unofficial runs of product

and cut out the legitimate manufacturer/brand.

Many retailers end up thinking they are selling the genuine article because copy product

gets into legitimate supply chains through distributors

In the end it is the consumer who gets screwed.

Edited by arunsakda

just bought a Rolex there, 80% cheaper than in those stupid fancy jewelry stores i see in London and NYC......who's the sucker now???

i have heard of people spending $8000 to FAKE a Rolex, since they can then sell it for $12,000. Clowns think it's a $50,000 watch.

next time, I'm going straight to Rolex Headquarters!!!! (maybe Switzerland, not sure, lol)

Edited by puukao