Parts/Service for Duty Free Imported Honda CRV?

yakyai

We have a 2005 Honda CRV that was imported from Japan a few years ago under a duty free arrangement. As a 10-year-old vehicle, the normal stuff is starting to break or wear out. Problem is that Honda dealers' service centers don't much like Japanese Hondas; have trouble getting parts (saying that Japanese parts are different numbers/different parts), etc. So we're facing very steep repair costs. I'm wondering if anybody knows a good (decent) mechanic in or around Sukhumvit/Bangkok that works on imported Hondas and can source parts correctly? With limited Thai, we have used Honda garage until recently, but it seems impossible to keep doing this as real problems arise.

Thanks for any ideas.

In my opinion, the key point is not so much the fact that the car wasn't assembled in Thailand, but rather that you have on your hands what is now a 10 year-old car, and it stands to reason that maintenance costs will begin to kick in and escalate. From this point on, the longer you keep it, the less value it will have and the harder it will be to eventually sell it when you are ready to buy something new. The fact that it is an import, only exacerbates the maintenance costs involved and if it were me, I would definitely be looking to replace it.

Honda has an excellent re-sale value in Thailand and you should have no problem selling it on the second-hand market and buying something new, or at least newer. I sold my 7 year old car a few months back by advertising on Taladrod (dot) com which is a website for private sellers. I got 300,000 more than what the dealer was offering as a trade-in, so I was able to get a new Honda for cash.

wai2.gif

Honda parts are fairly cheap to replace and service. Since yours is a Japanese make, the car and part numbers are different, I think the dealers are afraid to order the wrong part, not that they can't service it.. You should give another dealer a try? unless they all say the same.

Found this online, you can give them a call http://www.tsmotor.co.th

They are a garage that repairs cars for insurance companies, so they should be pretty experienced.

Hondas Computer Parts System can pull up Spares worldwide. Its only a CRV so spares are no prob, its the Thai who cant use the System ,or cant be bothered most likely.My friend gets Acura Parts easy enough anyway and thats uncommon here.thumbsup.gif

The VIN is likely to cause the average Dealer to put everything in the 'too hard' basket Ace, as it's not the usual 17 digit VIN, but rather 9 or 12 digit.

However common sense (which is not so common) should prevail and as you says parts are easy to source. Sounds like they are making a big deal out of nothing and don't wish to put any effort or thought into helping the OP.