New Visa Extension Procedure

So apparently Thai immigration found another way to make our life miserable.

I was told; for a retirement extension they no longer do it on the spot; you get a "under consideration" 30 days stamp followed by a home visit than a further appointment.

Can someone confirm this please.

Thank you

Here's something stupid to chew on. Yesterday my wife had to go to immigration with filled out forms showing that she has someone living with her. Yeah, she does. Me. Her husband! She explained to them that 7 years ago we had an extension based on marriage, in which they sent someone to the house to verify it. Ok, then I changed it to a Retirement extension - at THEIR suggestion. So, for 7 years I have been doing 90 day reports, with the SAME ADDRESS. They didn't care. Made her submit the forms, then gave her a slip for me to staple into my passport, saying that if I don't have that "residence slip" I will not be allowed to do another yearly extension.

Things are just getting dumber and dumber by the day.

• Like 1

This is the procedure in Udon Thani, my first experience with it was back in February this year. This has been a subject on TVF before, where some posters indicated that they too had this experience but for B1000.00, it would be processed on the same day.

I cannot say if this is true or not as I wasn't asked and it was never put to me but as a month's delay isn't a worry, I accepted the new procedure. It only becomes a scam if you participate, which I didn't and wouldn't. All it does is make one have a second trip to immigration and yes, it does inconvenience some. I do not know if it's a new rule but it does give them time to check out the person for any possible breaches of the law. Can't be all that bad but we will get those who will be upset over the delay.

Have just done my retirement extension at jontiem , in out 10 minutes, picked up passport following day, no 30 day consideration.

Just done mine at Phuket. Only new step was having to sit and be photographed and then told to return before closing this afternoon to collect passport - previously could get passport returned within half an hour, but presumably the senior officer who needs to sign it doesn't come in till afternoon wink.png

Edited by Farang99

I did mine about six weeks ago at main office Chengwattana. No mention of any changes, no notification of future changes. Perhaps they don't have the staff to do domiciliary visits to all the farangs in BKK. But in some places they do?

I hear that some offices in the far north are quieter than the Marie Celeste.

Every year Dan Kwian Immigration tries to shift me from an Extension Based on Marriage to Extension Based on Retirement.

And every year I say "No thank you".

"Easier easier"

"Mai ouw khrap"

Why do I not want to switch?

a) Lower financial requirement with marriage-based extension (I could meet the retirement-based requirement as well)

cool.png I may want to work in Thailand again at some point

c) I prefer that my extensions reflect the true reason for my long-term stay

d) However remote the chance is of it ever happening, I would think that if some changes were made to make longer stays easier (say 5 year extensions rather than 1 year), those would be offered to people on marriage-based extensions more readily than retirement-based.

Understand your thoughts but not D. Yes, it would be great if they gave a 5 year extension but do not understand why they should be offered more readily for marriage based extensions, and not retirement. I would like to see your reasoning for such a suggestion. Equality is the name of the game.

Edited by Si Thea01

Do not listen the staff member she would not know her ass from her face honestly

She just did not want make it easy for you

bad attitudes and ) service is the way they roll... But are happy to take the baht

Every office is different :)

Here's something stupid to chew on. Yesterday my wife had to go to immigration with filled out forms showing that she has someone living with her. Yeah, she does. Me. Her husband! She explained to them that 7 years ago we had an extension based on marriage, in which they sent someone to the house to verify it. Ok, then I changed it to a Retirement extension - at THEIR suggestion. So, for 7 years I have been doing 90 day reports, with the SAME ADDRESS. They didn't care. Made her submit the forms, then gave her a slip for me to staple into my passport, saying that if I don't have that "residence slip" I will not be allowed to do another yearly extension.

Things are just getting dumber and dumber by the day.

May I ask which immigration office you go to?

The usual financial proofs and proof of residence were all that was required

So a Farang lady does have to show 800,000 Baht if on Retirement Extension? Whereas a farang lady married to a Thai doesn't need to show anything. Is that correct? And does the 30 day under consideration also apply to both?

Do not listen the staff member she would not know her ass from her face honestly

bad attitudes and ) service is the way they roll... But are happy to take the baht

Every office is different smile.png

There are a few things that can irritate a Farang in this country, but this must be the "Main-Irritaton" for every Farang living here.

- Why can immigration not function under a centralized "Head-Immigration-Authority", that issues laws and regulations, that are binding for every Immigration office? Local Immigration "Chieftains", still insisting on ruling their little Kingdom by intuition, astrological constellations or simply by occasional mood-swings, would be dismissed.

So, to every advice given here, there should automatically be a "disclaimer" attached, like "This advice concerns Immigration Office XXX. For Immigration Office YYY, this advice may not be complete/accurate".

A sad state of affairs.

Cheers.

There are a few things that can irritate a Farang in this country, but this must be the "Main-Irritaton" for every Farang living here.

- Why can immigration not function under a centralized "Head-Immigration-Authority", that issues laws and regulations, that are binding for every Immigration office? Local Immigration "Chieftains", still insisting on ruling their little Kingdom by intuition, astrological constellations or simply by occasional mood-swings, would be dismissed.

So, to every advice given here, there should automatically be a "disclaimer" attached, like "This advice concerns Immigration Office XXX. For Immigration Office YYY, this advice may not be complete/accurate".

A sad state of affairs.

Cheers.

When living and working in Zurich I received much conflicting advice from "officials". I wonder why? I also believe the Thais officials have been taking lessons in "confusing" the punter from the Swiss.smile.png

OK I can confirm it is absolutely true; Went to Kap Choeng today for my retirement extension.

They do not give out automatic extensions any more, they asked me to draw a map to my house, took my mobile number and stamped a 30 days under consideration in my passport.

Said someone will visit us soon, than call their office for a new date when the visa is approved.

My take on this, especially since from posted reports shows most other offices continue as before, it is politically generated by some higher ups after recent news showed people buying entry coming in from Cambodia and all the noise made by the departed police boss about immigration corruption.

A telling sign was: they were making applicants photocopy payment receipts and attaching the copies to individual folders even though they (immigration officers) have duplicates in their book.

Another telling sign: this procedure instantly reduced the immigration officers to glorified paper pushers because no matter how many stripes on their shoulder, the decisions get made somewhere else.

All they do now is collect the paper work and forward it on!

hi can anyone tell me what I need to take to immgration to do my one year retirement extention at jontiem . do I need to take proof of where I live. if so what? thanks

Copies of rental agreement.

Landlords ID card.

Landlords Tabian Baan.

Utility Bill.

Address pinpointed on map.

Not much more they can ask for as proof of address, unless you have your own Tabian Baan.

OK I can confirm it is absolutely true; Went to Kap Choeng today for my retirement extension.

They do not give out automatic extensions any more, they asked me to draw a map to my house, took my mobile number and stamped a 30 days under consideration in my passport.

Said someone will visit us soon, than call their office for a new date when the visa is approved.

My take on this, especially since from posted reports shows most other offices continue as before, it is politically generated by some higher ups after recent news showed people buying entry coming in from Cambodia and all the noise made by the departed police boss about immigration corruption.

A telling sign was: they were making applicants photocopy payment receipts and attaching the copies to individual folders even though they (immigration officers) have duplicates in their book.

Another telling sign: this procedure instantly reduced the immigration officers to glorified paper pushers because no matter how many stripes on their shoulder, the decisions get made somewhere else.

All they do now is collect the paper work and forward it on!

KC started doing this before the recent fallout from the Bangkok bombing.

A sad state of affairs.

Cheers.

When living and working in Zurich I received much conflicting advice from "officials". I wonder why? I also believe the Thais officials have been taking lessons in "confusing" the punter from the Swiss.smile.png

With a 24 % "Foreigner Quote", Switzerland knows how to handle a massive influx of immigrants, (A classification System that issues visas from class B to class L. The system is precise and leaves no open questions). The Germans, at this special time, are actually considering "Swiss-Procedures". No kidding!

Of course, immigrants claiming to be "independent Businessman", not really being able to disclose what "independent business" they actually conduct, but always wearing dark sunglasses, whenever dealing with "Swiss Officials", no wonder that those people get some "Special Attention" from "Swiss Officials".

Oncearugge. Have a nice day. Cheers.