Wirelss B/g Cards With External Antenna Connectors?

Crushdepth

I'm after a wireless card for my notebook. I would like a card that has external antenna connectors but the data sheets tend not to mention this feature. Anyone know of models that have this?

Is it possible to get Orinoco or Senao cards in Thailand?

Thanks.

Sony Ericsson GC89 has Edge-GPRS and Wifi 802.11b/g combined. It has an external antenna connector as well, however it is mentioned nowhere in the documentation...

Price around 8000 Baht.

I doubt the external antenna would serve the wifi part...

GSM works at either 900Mhz or 1800 Mhz. Wifi works at 2.4Ghz.

Different antenna design!

I've seen Orinoco stuff at a shop in Panthip, not sure exactly where but they only sell network stuff, both wired and wireless!

I have not seen an external antenna on notebook card,

but the do exist for the desktop versions of the cards.

My son has one in his machine and it works very well

sharing the wideband link from my wireless router.

Thanks for your comments. After much research and a full tour of IT Square and Fortune, I got a Netgear WG511T (b/g combo card) for 1,490 baht. Major attractions were an Atheros chipset and it works out of the box with Ubuntu Linux. It also has an antenna connector hidden under the plastic cover that can be hacked into an external connector with a bit of effort (that I had hoped to avoid).

The reason for wanting the connectors is so that I can attach a directional antenna to increase the range and and sensitivity - I am finally getting around to reading my WI-FOO book and want to experiment with setting up long-distance wireless links, among other things.

Linux users should avoid an earlier variant of this card (the Netgear WG511 V2 and V3) as they do not work with Linux at all.

PS: The data sheet for this card was particularly useless, so for reference the transmission power is 18dBm (60mW) and is adjustable downwards. Have not idea about receiving sensitivity at this stage except that a CNET test said it outperformed 3-4 other cards they ran it against.

Edited by Crushdepth