One dead as Phuket mob blockade delays rescue efforts

webfact

One dead as mob blockade delays rescue efforts
Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: A Phuket rescue worker believes that the rioters who attacked Thalang Police Station and blockaded Thepkrasattri Road might have played a role in the death of a patient who was being transferred from a hospital in Krabi to a better equipped Phuket hospital.

“An ambulance from Krabi was blocked from going to Bangkok Hospital Phuket by the mob and had to reroute to Thalang Hospital. The nurse provided CPR [cardiopulmonary resuscitation] the entire time. However, the patient was pronounced dead on arrival,” A Sai, who declined to give his real name, stated in a Facebook post.

Mr A told the Phuket Gazette that the patient was being transferred from Krabi Hospital to Bangkok Hospital Phuket because of a worsening heart condition. However, while being transferred he suffered complications.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/One-dead-mob-blockade-delays-rescue-efforts/62133?desktopversion

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2015-10-13

R.I.P.

I assume he was initially transferred by vehicle, then ferry and then another vehicle.

That's a long way to go for someone in that condition. Seems to me he should have been transported by helicopter so it would seem to me the blame lies elsewhere. I guess his life wasn't worth enough to use a helicopter.

R.I.P.

I assume he was initially transferred by vehicle, then ferry and then another vehicle.

That's a long way to go for someone in that condition. Seems to me he should have been transported by helicopter so it would seem to me the blame lies elsewhere. I guess his life wasn't worth enough to use a helicopter.

It looks like geography is not your strong point, only 1x transport by vehicle required, no ferry, no changes.

R.I.P.

As stevenl already pointed out this route is done by road: at night it takes about 2 hours.

Going by helicopter will not save much time as they do not have helicopters manned with pilots on standby in neither Phuket nor Krabi. So from hospital to hospital will not be much quicker.

Since it was a transport to a private hospital the bill for the transport will be for the patient. And believe me, even you would not have the spare change lying around for such a trip as it is not cheap (and your insurance company would not cover it).

Edit: going by helicopter would not have helped as the helicopter would land at Phuket airport after which the patient would be transported by ambulance for the last part and that ambulance would have to go through the riot anyways. As far as I know there is no landing area for helicopters at BKK hospital phuket.

Edited by Bob12345

The one thing missing from this story is the actual time it took them to get to Thalang hospital, i.e. how much time was lost due to having to re-route?

According to google maps, the original intended journey should take around 2 hours and 16 minutes, the re-routed journey is less at 1 hour and 56 minutes.

The story also says the patient was dead on arrival so may well have died long before they got anywhere near Phuket.

I'm not excusing or defending the rioters, just wondering.

Phuket riots did not cause Krabi man’s death, say doctors
The Phuket News

1444705760_1-org.jpg
The riots in front of Thalang Police Station caused a massive tailback on Thepkrasattri Rd. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- The riots in front of Thalang Police Station did not contribute to the death of a man whose ambulance transport from Krabi was caught up in the huge traffic jam on Thepkrasattri Rd on Saturday night (Oct 12), say doctors.

Dr Somboon Boonkittiyapong, Deputy Director Health Management at Krabi Hospital, told The Phuket News that the man, 72 years old, was suffering from ischemic heart disease (IHD).

“We don’t blame the situation on Saturday night. The traffic jam [caused by the riots] did not contribute to the man’s death; he already had a life-threatening heart condition,” Dr Somboon said.

The man was being transported from Krabi Hospital to Bangkok Hospital Phuket when he suffered a heart attack en route, Dr Somboon explained.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-riots-did-not-cause-krabi-man-death-say-doctors-54512.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-10-13

The Phuket News

1444705760_1-org.jpg

The riots in front of Thalang Police Station caused a massive tailback on Thepkrasattri Rd. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- The riots in front of Thalang Police Station did not contribute to the death of a man whose ambulance transport from Krabi was caught up in the huge traffic jam on Thepkrasattri Rd on Saturday night (Oct 12), say doctors.

Dr Somboon Boonkittiyapong, Deputy Director Health Management at Krabi Hospital, told The Phuket News that the man, 72 years old, was suffering from ischemic heart disease (IHD).

“We don’t blame the situation on Saturday night. The traffic jam [caused by the riots] did not contribute to the man’s death; he already had a life-threatening heart condition,” Dr Somboon said.

The man was being transported from Krabi Hospital to Bangkok Hospital Phuket when he suffered a heart attack en route, Dr Somboon explained.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-riots-did-not-cause-krabi-man-death-say-doctors-54512.php

tpn.jpg

sounds like this doctor is on the peoples side.

The Phuket News

1444705760_1-org.jpg

tpn.jpg

sounds like this doctor is on the peoples side.

Or possibly correct? huh.png

R.I.P.

As stevenl already pointed out this route is done by road: at night it takes about 2 hours.

Going by helicopter will not save much time as they do not have helicopters manned with pilots on standby in neither Phuket nor Krabi. So from hospital to hospital will not be much quicker.

Since it was a transport to a private hospital the bill for the transport will be for the patient. And believe me, even you would not have the spare change lying around for such a trip as it is not cheap (and your insurance company would not cover it).

Edit: going by helicopter would not have helped as the helicopter would land at Phuket airport after which the patient would be transported by ambulance for the last part and that ambulance would have to go through the riot anyways. As far as I know there is no landing area for helicopters at BKK hospital phuket.

"and your insurance company would not cover it" - why is that?

R.I.P.

Actually there is a helicopter landing pad at BKK hospital Phuket but as this patient was being transported to Thalang Hospital that isn't really relevant.

I doubt any Thai insurance policy would cover air ambulance, for sure an international company policy likely would cover air ambulance. I seem to remember that was covered when I used to have BUPA International cover.

Out of interest I had a look through our current BUPA Thailand platinum policy. Clearly states 'Emergency ambulance service up to a maximum benifit of 1,000 baht per injury or sickness or disability'

So I guess only a local ambulance ride is covered.

What your insurance cover NKM ?

I doubt any Thai insurance policy would cover air ambulance, for sure an international company policy likely would cover air ambulance. I seem to remember that was covered when I used to have BUPA International cover.

Out of interest I had a look through our current BUPA Thailand platinum policy. Clearly states 'Emergency ambulance service up to a maximum benifit of 1,000 baht per injury or sickness or disability'

Bob12345 said "your insurance company" so I took that to be a broad announcement to the forum that "no" insurance companies would cover air ambulance.

As I am a "tourists" here, on a tourists visa, I have travel insurance, which I renew annually. It covers full medevac, to the nearest decent hospital, or even back to my home country, should I suffer a catastrophic injury / illness.

So, for example, if I am in Laos, and I am injured, or suffer a serious illness, they pay to fly me to Bangkok, or Singapore, where medical treatment is adequate, and if such injury sees me require full time care, back to my home country.

"Emergency ambulance service up to a maximum benifit of 1,000 baht per injury or sickness or disability" - I would suggest you are grossly under covered with this aspect of your policy, LIK. Perhaps you could look into seperate ambulance cover with your company.

the poor guy most prob had the heart attack from the crowd BANGING ON SIDE OF THE AMBULANCE...as reported on Thai news

why in 2015 a serious heart problem must be transported from 1 international tourist resort to another almost 200km is beyond me...the money from tourism should provide the finest in medical facilitys for locals and visitors ...oh sorry forgot this is the third world

Bob12345 said "your insurance company" so I took that to be a broad announcement to the forum that "no" insurance companies would cover air ambulance.

As I am a "tourists" here, on a tourists visa, I have travel insurance, which I renew annually. It covers full medevac, to the nearest decent hospital, or even back to my home country, should I suffer a catastrophic injury / illness.

So, for example, if I am in Laos, and I am injured, or suffer a serious illness, they pay to fly me to Bangkok, or Singapore, where medical treatment is adequate, and if such injury sees me require full time care, back to my home country.

"Emergency ambulance service up to a maximum benifit of 1,000 baht per injury or sickness or disability" - I would suggest you are grossly under covered with this aspect of your policy, LIK. Perhaps you could look into seperate ambulance cover with your company.

You should not take it as a broad announcement that no insurance company would ever cover air ambulance. There will be exceptions.

You should take it as a "if you were the patient, with the exact same condition, you would not get air transport paid for by your insurance company" (with 99.9% of the insurance companies).

The reasoning behind it: there is no medical necessity for air transport (how do I know? If it was a necessity the doctor would not have released the patient to go by normal ambulance). The doctor will order your transfer by normal ambulance and if you want to fly you have to request this. When you contact your insurance policy they will not agree with your decision as your doctor already indicated that transport by normal ambulance is fine and only a fraction of the price. Of course you can demand to be brought by helicopter, but you will have to pick up the bill yourself.

Edited by Bob12345

Actually there is a helicopter landing pad at BKK hospital Phuket but as this patient was being transported to Thalang Hospital that isn't really relevant.

I don't think they have a landing pad. Where would it be?

Maybe they can clear part of the parking lot if they can find every car owner or tow the cars away in time, but I doubt that will be very safe.

Besides, BKK hospital Phuket does not have a helicopter. Quickly transporting someone would not be possible as they would first need to get the helicopter from BKK or Hua Hin.

I thought there was not supposed to be ANY protesting or gathering of more then 5 people??????????????

Exactly! As my missus pointed out whilst watching the news, try a riot like that in downtown Udon or KK, and see how quick you get a military reaction/intervention. Fast. Very fast.

R.I.P.

Not only that, but there are very few internationally trained doctors at this ""international" hospital and their prices are outragous. Nothing more than a "mill". I know this from personal experience. coffee1.gif Patient would probably have died anyway. RIP!

It doesn't make it any less wrong what they did (blocking ambulance) although the punishment should be less now.

Why because a doctor says he had an heart attack on the way, i remember many years ago a doctor saying the same thing about a Sweden man in pattaya, it was later confirmed he was murdered when someone admitted to the crime of doing it, where was the doctor then,half the doctors in Thailand could not diagnose a headache,