Do you think the single gateway is in place already?

TheCruncher

I ask this question because since about a week I experience strange problems.

My cable connection ( CAT IP) is 10/1 Mb, and until a week ago everything was just perfect, with websites loading as you click

I would get 8Ms to Bangkok server and about 12Mb down.

Then since last week websites started loading slowly, sometimes almost 10 seconds, and this with all websites.

So I started doing speedtests again and I still get the 12Mb down and 1 Mb up, but now a ping of 30 - 40 Ms.

Changed Google DNS server to the ISP DNS servers, but doesn't make a difference.Restarted modem and router to get a different IP, same same

Downloading files by torrent still gives me top speed, and streaming HD movies don't experience any buffer, though it takes considerable longer to log in to the streaming server.

Just did a ping to google DNS server and it would give me between 40 and 50 Ms.

To me it is clear something has changed, so what you think

Something has changed i can feel it too.I run fiber 30/1mb and it's not as fast as it's used to be a week ago.Everything feels so sluggish especially on international websites.Pinging to Singapore gives me 140-150 ping.

I hope it's just a temporary problem,but if it's not i will take my business to some other asean country since current military government doesn't give two craps about people and their needs.

The only countries with single gateways are Laos,Myanmar and North Korea.Keep up the great work thai government!

Edited by thaichalina

Do you think the single gateway is in place already?

Nah, Thailand never moves that fast.

My experience with Thailand is that with things that aren't popular like the single gateway they move before they even announce it.

On closer look other countries like US for instance also had to called out by snowden before they admitted what the NSA was doing, and then we still have heard only half of the real story.

The slow connections are because it is crap Internet here. Simple as that. Nothing to do with gateways. It's just the bandwidth for international connections is too small because the ISP's don't want to spend more money.

The slow connections are because it is crap Internet here. Simple as that. Nothing to do with gateways. It's just the bandwidth for international connections is too small because the ISP's don't want to spend more money.

I have 12Mb down to Bangkok and most parts of the US, because that is the max of my package, so I wouldn't call that a lack of bandwidth.

Uk and other parts of Europe connect around 8Mb.

So why would webpages slowly load with such a speed?

It is the increase in ping that makes me think.

Well i'm not sure,but all i know TOT is a garbage especially for online gaming. Year ago i used basic 3bb 10mb ADSL and it was ok,never had any problems whatsoever.Now when i'm using TOT fiber it's utter disappointment.I wouldn't recommend anyone to use TOT

I have 12Mb down to Bangkok and most parts of the US, because that is the max of my package, so I wouldn't call that a lack of bandwidth.

I just pinged Phuket to New York and got a latency of 52ms and then to London at 30ms.

I just pinged Phuket to New York and got a latency of 52ms and then to London at 30ms.

??????

My internet also has been playing up over the last week or two, not been able to stream media content, even outside the peak periods. Other friends in Pattaya are reporting the same and not just TOT.

Maybe the Junta are carrying out testing or trials on their One Gateway idea.

13/1 line 3BB in Chiang Mai, no noticeable slow down. Streaming is fine or else my wife would be giving me an ear full. biggrin.png

Thailand:

attachicon.gifthailand.jpg

US:

attachicon.gifUS.jpg

UK:

attachicon.gifUK.jpg

Your pings to US and UK ar kinda normal, pings to Bangkok should be around 10 Ms, at least that is what I got until 2 weeks ago and was confirmed to me yesterday by the technician that it should be like that. He even said if my ping reached 50Ms they should inspect the line as that indicated a problem.

4668730802.png4638406851.png4624095131.png4741171511.png

13/1 line 3BB in Chiang Mai, no noticeable slow down. Streaming is fine or else my wife would be giving me an ear full. biggrin.png

Thailand:

US:

attachicon.gifUS.jpg

UK:

attachicon.gifUK.jpg

Your pings to US and UK ar kinda normal, pings to Bangkok should be around 10 Ms, at least that is what I got until 2 weeks ago and was confirmed to me yesterday by the technician that it should be like that. He even said if my ping reached 50Ms they should inspect the line as that indicated a problem.

10ms if at or near Bangkok. From Chiang Mai though this is normal due to distance and routing.

As of 10.30 this morning it seems they got their act together again. I noticed a big improvement in website loading and the test results confirmed this.

Probably they couldn't find anything on me and CSA has given up for now. biggrin.png ( Or may be they had proof enough)

Bit confused though with the times in the test results, as they show to be in the middle of the night.

4743379984.png4743438681.png4743667523.png

Still getting 150ping to Singapore server with TOT fiber. I don't know what is going on,but i've never had ping so high.Did a tracert to singapore server

My test to that server TOT fibre, northern BKK

post-14979-0-22664100-1444806831_thumb.j

Still getting 150ping to Singapore server with TOT fiber. I don't know what is going on,but i've never had ping so high.Did a tracert to singapore server

My test to that server TOT fibre, northern BKK

attachicon.gifUntitled-1.jpg

Any idea what could be wrong? I used to have stable 40 ping same as you.TOT customer service is completely unhelpful

edit:When i use VPN (Vpn4Games) my ping is 40,but it is very unstable and i get disconnection issues a lot

Edited by thaichalina

Any idea what could be wrong? I used to have stable 40 ping same as you.TOT customer service is completely unhelpful

Not something you can fix I suspect.

The issue seems to be between "hundred-gi-0-7-0-1.cwt-gw-01.totisp.net" (203.114.118.138) and 180.180.255.57 (the international gateway)

My route goes "hundred-gi-0-6-0-1.cwt-gw-01.totisp.net" (203.114.118.134) and 180.180.255.57

Evidently I'm (at least currently) on a different "totisp" router which is less busy (overloaded / throttled) than yours. This could be because I'm in a different area or because I have a small-business package.

If your TOT tech is friendly you could show him the two routes, maybe he can "assist" if he has the user rights smile.png

I run OpenVpn thru a vendor that issues about 50 or 60 locations around the world I can use to connect. When the software boots, before connecting, it polls all the servers and lists their ping speeds, so I can choose not only where I want to connect, but I can choose the fastest server in that country/city.

Up until about 4 days ago, 2 servers in Singapore were always the fastest, generally 50-60ms. Starting about 3 or 4 days ago, the fastest servers have been in South Korea, 100-110ms, and the same Singapore servers that used to be the fastest are now WAY down the list in speed 250-300ms connect times.

So, ya, something changed, but I cannot say what.

On a related note, I generally get download speeds of about 1.2 - 1.3 mbps with the standard internet connection (True Fiber), but when I connect via my VPN I routinely get 3.2 to 3.3 mbps downloads. Happy, but weird. (This has been unchanged since I got the service, doesn't seem to be affected by the change noted above.)

Michael

Thailand:

US:

attachicon.gifUS.jpg

UK:

attachicon.gifUK.jpg

I just wouldn't use an OOKLA-based speed tester like speedtest.net to speed test an international connection because ping time (faster than light) and/or download speed can be easily fooled due to local cache servers. I'm on a True DOCSIS/cable 15Mb/1.5Mb plan...I just run a speedtest.net test from Bangkok to San Jose, USA and got over a 18Mb download speed. Oh how I wish my international connection was giving me 18Mb but it's not...it's just Speedtest.net giving false results. ISPs love to use OOKLA based testers since they give "happy" (but many times false) speed test results for international connections.

post-55970-0-96606900-1444823968_thumb.j

Now a minute or so after running above speedtest.net speed test I used a Java-based speed tester (java-based much, much harder to be fooled by local cache servers) called testmy.net. Ran a test to San Jose. Didn't even pull 1Mb download speed, but normally I pull around 2.5Mb. The truth hurts sometimes.

post-55970-0-57735200-1444824203_thumb.j

Thailand:

US:

attachicon.gifUS.jpg

UK:

attachicon.gifUK.jpg

I just wouldn't use an OOKLA-based speed tester like speedtest.net to speed test an international connection because ping time (faster than light) and/or download speed can be easily fooled due to local cache servers. I'm on a True DOCSIS/cable 15Mb/1.5Mb plan...I just run a speedtest.net test from Bangkok to San Jose, USA and got over a 18Mb download speed. Oh how I wish my international connection was giving me 18Mb but it's not...it's just Speedtest.net giving false results. ISPs love to use OOKLA based testers since they give "happy" (but many times false) speed test results for international connections.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Now a minute or so after running above speedtest.net speed test I used a Java-based speed tester (java-based much, much harder to be fooled by local cache servers) called testmy.net. Ran a test to San Jose. Didn't even pull 1Mb download speed, but normally I pull around 2.5Mb. The truth hurts sometimes.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Time to dumb True. I'm on a 10 Mb BTV plan ( even ever heard of them?)

post-223159-0-48221300-1444825619_thumb.

Edited by TheCruncher

I manage to fix my issue with high ping.I'm using and connecting through VPN now.My ping is stable 30 to singapore without any problems plus i noticed youtbe+stream live videos are definitely quicker.It costs me 10$ a month but at least i have steady ping now.I guess paying more a month for VPN would be less hassle than changing ISP.

I manage to fix my issue with high ping.I'm using and connecting through VPN now.My ping is stable 30 to singapore without any problems plus i noticed youtbe+stream live videos are definitely quicker.It costs me 10$ a month but at least i have steady ping now.I guess paying more a month for VPN would be less hassle than changing ISP.

I'm not an expert regarding VPN's, but I think you don't fix anything, you just fake it.

The 30 Ms is from the location of your VPN to Singapore, but you still have the ping from your location to the VPN server, which isn't accounted for.

No, never heard of BTV....doing a google it seems they are in Pattaya...I live in Bangkok.

I normally get 2.5Mb on True DOCSIS just like you got on BTV...just not in the test I posted earlier/today. Now reruning the test and doing only the download test like you did I get 1.6Mb (see below)....I fully expect if I do it tomorrow morning up until around early evening before everyone gets home from work/school I'll get around 2.5Mb.

post-55970-0-81108300-1444826945_thumb.j

However, turn on my StrongVPN connection to get a U.S. IP address and rerun the test and I'll pull an 18Mb download speed to San Jose (see below). Getting over 15Mb download speed on my True DOCSIS is possible (and normal) since True DOCSIS incorporates "bursting" which lasts long than a speed test period. But running VPN my connections to Thailand websites like Bangkok Post will be slower because of the longer distance traveled by the internet electrons. When I'm on VPN my international connections/international browsing/video streaming is big time noticeably faster. I know a person could say the bursting also confuses speedtest.net by giving false high reading, but I got such high, false readings on OOKLA-based speed tests like speedtest.net before True DOCSIS implemented bursting and when still on a TOT ADSL 4Mb or 6Mb plan.

post-55970-0-55394200-1444827102_thumb.j

A person's international speed can also be affected by their local area trunk line. A person in Bangkok on True/any ISP and a person in Pattaya on True/any ISP, both of which have the same plan, could get significantly different local and/or international speeds due to their local trunk capacity/loading. So many things can affect a person's internet speed.

I'm not an expert regarding VPN's, but I think you don't fix anything, you just fake it.

The 30 Ms is from the location of your VPN to Singapore, but you still have the ping from your location to the VPN server, which isn't accounted for.

Well i'm not an expert about tech stuff either but my TOT fiber was having some problems with high ping to SG(120+ping).If i didn't have that problem i probably wouldn't even take VPN.But they offer free 20min trial so i took it.And at my suprise it fixed my ping and now it's 30 steady.It's not fake ping believe me, playing with 100+ping vs 30 you can feel the difference almost instantly.I always had 30-40 ping with TOT but last week or so i don't know what a hell happened with my connection

Edited by thaichalina