Recent Retirement extension in Chiang Rai

There are two offices in Chiang Rai. One is Mae Sai, and the other office is fairly close to the airport.

Everyone has always suggested to me to stay away from Mae Sai, and that is what I have done.

So...

1. GREAT experience! Staff is friendly and responsive. Some of them are even a bit playful.

I was in and out in about 45 minutes.

2. You have to use the extension form they provide at their offices.

They won't accept any form DL'd from the internet.

The guy said "We only accept original one."

3. Mae Sai processes extensions every day.

Now, the office I went to only does extensions on Mon. and Wed.

I initially went on a Thursday and had to go back a second time.

4. They did not ask any questions whatsoever.

5. I presented them with a copy of every page of my bank book, but they were only interested in looking at and keeping, the pages for the last two months.

6. They take your picture on the spot.

7. My only complaint- They would not let me file for a re-entry permit.

They said I should come back and do this before I plan on leaving the country.

Not sure if we had a misunderstanding on this or not, but I did ask twice and their English is pretty good.

Good, usable info. Thank you. Don't smile in the photo. (Unless they tell you to.) I suppose our return of the favor to them would be a tucked in shirt, and no flip-flop sandals. I think it's easy for people who deal with the public every day to get "burnout". Let's not burn them out. wai2.gif

• Like 1

Good, usable info. Thank you. Don't smile in the photo. (Unless they tell you to.) I suppose our return of the favor to them would be a tucked in shirt, and no flip-flop sandals. I think it's easy for people who deal with the public every day to get "burnout". Let's not burn them out. wai2.gif

Shorts T shirt and thongs and being clean and polite will not cause burn out . All you require in this world is good manners and yes clean clothes is a part of that. There is already a thread on dress code.

I visited the Chang Rai immigration office close to the airport just last week. I was applying for a 30 day extension on the second half of my double entry tourist visa which was due to expire the very next day. I downloaded the extension application form off the Internet and filled it out and printed it before going to the office. I arrived at 9 AM and there was no one else in the office except staff. The whole process literally took just five minutes before I received the extension stamp in my passport. I found they were very courteous and professional and even called a taxi for me.

Borderless. The op was applying for a retirement extension. Your post relates to that in what particular way?

Looks to me like it was relevant in that he was confirming the 'Great Experience' comment in the OP and giving a report on his attendance at the same office.

Whereas your post...........?

Edited by dabhand

• 2 months later...

Excuse me for being braindead, but....

I am going for my second extension based on retirement.

Do I need to show bank info each time I go, or only once a year?

You only have to show the funds when you apply for the one year extension of stay.

It seems you may be calling a 90 day report an extension which they are.not.

I printed my Retirement form and had no problem but it must be printed on both sides of the same sheet of paper. They will not accept it printed on two seperate pages. ( the part I am talking about is the little section that has to be signed by the immigration officer.

I printed my Retirement form and had no problem but it must be printed on both sides of the same sheet of paper. They will not accept it printed on two seperate pages. ( the part I am talking about is the little section that has to be signed by the immigration officer.

Not sure what a retirement form is.

TheTM7 application form has to be printed 2 sided. He is doing a 90 day report not an extension. The TM47 form only has one side to print.

TheTM7 application form has to be printed 2 sided. He is doing a 90 day report not an extension. The TM47 form only has one side to print.

If you read post one he was applying for an extension not a 90 day report.

There is now no TM47 needed at Chiangrai at least for subsequent renewals of 90day as only the passport is used.

from post 1

. GREAT experience! Staff is friendly and responsive. Some of them are even a bit playful.

I was in and out in about 45 minutes.

2. You have to use the extension form they provide at their offices.

They won't accept any form DL'd from the internet.

The guy said "We only accept original one."

3. Mae Sai processes extensions every day.

Now, the office I went to only does extensions on Mon. and Wed.

I initially went on a Thursday and had to go back a second time.

Edited by harrry

If you read post one he was applying for an extension not a 90 day report.

There is now no TM47 needed at Chiangrai at least for subsequent renewals of 90day as only the passport is used.

This was the post I was replying to.

A 90 day report is not renewed.

Excuse me for being braindead, but....

I am going for my second extension based on retirement.

Do I need to show bank info each time I go, or only once a year?

• 4 months later...

Chiang Rai Immigration (near Airport) is still the home of the most friendly and helpfull immigration staff in Thailand.

Went there yesterday May 11 for an extension of 1 year retirement visa. They accept applications for retirement visa extentions only on MONDAY and WEDNESDAY.

Things have become a bit more complicated since last year. You need to show some proof of residence now. I brought 1) Tabien Bahn of house owner, signed copy 2) Tabien Bahn of the house I live in signed copy 3) Copy of ID card house owner 4) Rental contract.

Not sure what the exact rules are, suggest you contact them a few days before the extention is due if you have any doubts.

I also understood that it's OK to apply long before the visa expires, long meaning several days (weeks).

Agree with previous posters, let's make sure these people do not burn out and keep their extra friendly attitude, by showing up in our best outfit displaying our most polite behaviour.

Forgot to mention they even have free coffee, and newspapers in English.