Thai illegal immigrant shot, injured at Malaysia border fence

webfact

Thai illegal immigrant shot, injured at border fence

BANGKOK: -- New Straits Times reported that a Thai illegal immigrant was injured after being shot during an attempt to flee from Malaysian authorities at the border fence in Chuping earlier Tuesday.

The man was reported to be trespassing the Malaysian border in a group of about eight people when the General Operation Force (GOF) team spotted them at about 5am.

Panicked upon being noticed by the team, the illegal immigrants immediately fled back to Thailand via the perimeter fence which had been cut off.

State police chief Senior Assistant Commissioner Shafie Ismail said during the attempt to flee one of the men was stuck to the fence wire and suddenly four gun shots were heard coming from the Thai side.

He said one of the shots hit the man who was left behind, injuring him on the buttocks. The injured suspect was rushed to Sultanah Bahiyah Hospital in Kedah.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thai-illegal-immigrant-shot-injured-at-border-fence

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-10-14

Thai man shot in buttocks at Malaysia-Thai border fence
The Star

KANGAR: A Thai man with a gunshot wound on his buttocks was found tangled in a wire fence along the Malaysia-Thailand border on Tuesday, the Star quoted Bernama as reporting.

Perlis police chief SAC Shafie Ismail said the man was later arrested by General Operations Force (PGA) personnel.

He said the foreigner was earlier seen with a group of seven or eight people who made a turn back to Thailand’s area through the border fence that had been cut, when they came across the PGA personnel at Post 24 at about 5am.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Thai-man-shot-in-buttocks-at-Malaysia-Thai-border--30270870.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-10-14

have I got this right eight thais attempted to get into Malaysia were spotted and in the ensuing panic one of them was shot and injured attempting to flee back into Thailand by shots from the thai side of the border .

Thats how i read it. Also, despite being Thai (and according to the report being shot by someone on the Thai side) the border jumper was retrieved by Malaysian authorities and hospitalized there.

have I got this right eight thais attempted to get into Malaysia were spotted and in the ensuing panic one of them was shot and injured attempting to flee back into Thailand by shots from the thai side of the border .

Thats how i read it. Also, despite being Thai (and according to the report being shot by someone on the Thai side) the border jumper was retrieved by Malaysian authorities and hospitalized there.

Doesn't make a lot of sense as of yet..

Why would the Thai army/border patrol shoot at Thai citizens who are sneaking OUT.. not In.....

And yet the body fell or was captured on the Malaysian side of the fence?

Seems like there's something wrong with this story but we might get more details tomorrow...i didn't know it was normal to shoot live rounds at people no matter what side they were sneaking from

Why would the Thai army/border patrol shoot at Thai citizens who are sneaking OUT.. not In.....

Seems like there's something wrong with this story but we might get more details tomorrow...i didn't know it was normal to shoot live rounds at people no matter what side they were sneaking from

.i didn't know it was normal to shoot live rounds at people no matter what side they were sneaking from

Seems the Thai military has a history of shooting live rounds at unarmed civilians.

One possible scenario is that the border jumper was shot by someone from his group. I am not sure why they would do this, but the article doesn't mention Thai border agents as the shooters--only that shots came from the Thai side.

Almost certain the Thai was shot by a Thai. Thai police forces regularly shoot people at borders. Cambodians have been shot to death at the Thai-Cambodian border by Thai soldiers. Aside from the U.S. this is the only other country on this planet with a trigger-happy police force.

Edited by roblam

.i didn't know it was normal to shoot live rounds at people no matter what side they were sneaking from

Seems the Thai military has a history of shooting live rounds at unarmed civilians.

The king of the cheap shot fires another blank. Where does it say that Thai military or border police were involved in this incident?

There is no mention of Thai army/border patrol, or even a suggestion they were involved. Are you under the impression that illegal border crossing is only illegal in one direction?

There is no mention of Thai army/border patrol, or even a suggestion they were involved. Are you under the impression that illegal border crossing is only illegal in one direction?

Who else do you imagine would have been policing the border with guns in the middle of the night?

The ones that got away were probably Burmese, and the one caught was probably a people smuggler, other than that drug runners??

I wonder if they will stop the Malaysian muslims walking over the border every night into sungai golok for a little girl fun then going home untraced and still not having breached the faith.

Who else do you imagine would have been policing the border with guns in the middle of the night?

Nobody on the Thai side, Malaysians on the other. But I can conceive that those providing illegal crossing might try to shoot a witness that could identify them. Which has the highest odds, shots fired by those seen to be there, or those you imagine to be there?

Nobody on the Thai side, Malaysians on the other. But I can conceive that those providing illegal crossing might try to shoot a witness that could identify them. Which has the highest odds, shots fired by those seen to be there, or those you imagine to be there?

I don't think the Malaysian police would have shot him in the ass, tangled him up in the razor wire and then decided to do a 180 and bring him to the nearest hospital.... But it's an amusing thought :)

I don't think the Malaysian police would have shot him in the ass, tangled him up in the razor wire and then decided to do a 180 and bring him to the nearest hospital.... But it's an amusing thought smile.png

Only in someone unable to comprehend the written word. I never suggested the Malaysians shot him, only that they were patrolling, as per the OP. The shots came from the Thai side - the question was who fired them, the illegal border crossers, or the Thai border police that you imagine were there.