Best Way For Thail Friend To Sms Me (us) & Vice Versa?

Cactus Jack

Hi,

What is the best way for someone in Thailand to send an SMS to someone in the U.S.?

In the past, my friend in Thailand has been sending me SMS messages using both IPIPI.com and Chikka. However, Chikka cost a bit more baht. But the bad part is just recently IPIPI is not working with incoming SMSs from Thailand. I'm not entirely sure why and have asked IPIPI to look into this.

Since my mobile provider here in California (Verizon) charges a fortune for international incoming/outgoing SMS messages, I need another solution to communicate back and forth.

The important part is to make it easy for my friend in Thailand to send me SMS messages.

Thank you! :o

Edited by Cactus Jack

While I appreciate your suggestions, these are methods that work well with me here in the U.S. sending to Thailand.

I need some solutions sending from a Thai mobile SMS to the U.S.

Some folks in Thailand use a sim from Philippines and then use Chikka. But at a cost of 25 baht per sms message and that includes roaming.

Surely people in Thailand send mobile SMS to the US, yes? How?

Thank you.

While I appreciate your suggestions, these are methods that work well with me here in the U.S. sending to Thailand.

I need some solutions sending from a Thai mobile SMS to the U.S.

Some folks in Thailand use a sim from Philippines and then use Chikka. But at a cost of 25 baht per sms message and that includes roaming.

Surely people in Thailand send mobile SMS to the US, yes? How?

Thank you.

Why not just send from a Thai mobile to the US.. ?

It's not expensive.

totster :o

Well, true, but then the other half of the problem. Many of the giant mobile phone companies in the U.S. charge you anywhere from $1.00 - $2.50 per each international receiving/sending SMS.

However, email from any country is free. The trick is to find solutions to convert the SMS into an email, or use third-party services like Ipipi to work with US mobile phones.

Totster. You got a lot of posts! :o

Thank you for your help and suggestions.

Edited by Cactus Jack

Well, true, but then the other half of the problem. Many of the giant mobile phone companies in the U.S. charge you anywhere from $1.00 - $2.50 per each international receiving/sending SMS.

However, email from any country is free. The trick is to find solutions to convert the SMS into an email, or use third-party services like Ipipi to work with US mobile phones.

Totster. You got a lot of posts! :o

Thank you for your help and suggestions.

Your problem is with your US provider not with Thailand. I would look for a company that does not gouge you for the products you need.

Okay here's my arrangement...

I (us) send sms to thai number (1-2-call) using my US cell phone (t-mobile) and it costs me 15 cents for every outgoing international sms.

She sends sms's to me using her thai cell (1-2-call) at a cost of 10 baht each.

Sometimes I use yahoo or msn. since i've paid for that service already there's no unit cost to send the sms but for your friend in thailand that doesn't help much since what you want to do is sms and not e-mail.

I probably send anywhere from 2 to 10 a day so yes it does add up. There is no really cheap way so send unlimited sms messages to and from LOS

Hi Cactus Jack.

If by 'free email', I presume you mean that if someone sends you an email in the format '[email protected]', then it will be delivered to your mobile phone free of charge. Correct?

OK, if that is the case, then I can set up a wap page (mobile internet) page on one of my servers. Your friend in Thailand just needs to go to that wap page on their mobile phone, enter their message and click on the send button. My server will then convert it into an email and dispatch it to your mobile email address.

The only cost is that levied by the Thai mobile network for the data connection to my wap-page.

Let me know

Simon

Edited by simon43

Jeez.. I didn't know you had to pay for receiving international SMS.. thats a bit steep. :o

totster :D