Hilltribe market near Chiang Dao

BonnieandClyde

We have some friends and relatives coming to visit in November and would like to take them to this market.

Does anyone on the forum know if it is open as early as November, and if so, what days?

Any information would be appreciated.

It's in full swing already. I've been up twice this fall and I'd say that it's at 90% capacity as far as vendors go. It's only open on Tuesday mornings,and the vendors start shutting down around 1:00pm so get there early. It's on both sides of the Mae Rim (107) road, so you can't miss It!

We have some friends and relatives coming to visit in November and would like to take them to this market.

Does anyone on the forum know if it is open as early as November, and if so, what days?

Any information would be appreciated.

It's in full swing already. I've been up twice this fall and I'd say that it's at 90% capacity as far as vendors go. It's only open on Tuesday mornings,and the vendors start shutting down around 1:00pm so get there early. It's on both sides of the Mae Rim (107) road, so you can't miss It!

Thanks for that useful information.

We'll make the trip up there for sure.

Its a great market ,as advised get there early.If you are driving parking is at a premium but on the left hand side there is some behind the vendors.

If the youngish German guy with his Thai partmer is still there his bread/bakery items are suberb

Its a great market ,as advised get there early.If you are driving parking is at a premium but on the left hand side there is some behind the vendors.

If the youngish German guy with his Thai partmer is still there his bread/bakery items are suberb

Perhaps you haven't been there recently. There is now PLENTY of car parking (for 5 baht :) ) on the left side towards the north end of the market. They are parking cars in the new bus station parking area, so no need to park on the street all the way at the end any longer.

And yes, the German man and his Thai partner are still there selling bread and bakery items, and they are better than ever!! They sell on the right side of the road near the southern end of the market.

Looks like a another phone call is in order yet again I love it. Why do people not understand the law of a country they want to call home is mind boggling to say the least. What are the chances of this German guy have a work permit about the same as pigs can fly so you could say.

Roughly how far from the old city is it?

Looks like a another phone call is in order yet again I love it. Why do people not understand the law of a country they want to call home is mind boggling to say the least. What are the chances of this German guy have a work permit about the same as pigs can fly so you could say.

Why don't you just mind your own business?

Let the authorities who make the laws enforce them.

Many of us came here a long time ago to get away from people like you.

Live and let live.

Smack dab in the middle of it, towards the north side. If you are on Rt 107, you pass through it, with vendors on both sides.

Live and let live.

So its ok in your books for someone to open shop beside you and not following the law by getting the proper paper work, permits, visas and so on. I came here a long time ago also... really so what does it give me or you some special status well the answer is no bud. I will be waiting for a response from the first sentence if you have one.

Live and let live.

So its ok in your books for someone to open shop beside you and not following the law by getting the proper paper work, permits, visas and so on. I came here a long time ago also... really so what does it give me or you some special status well the answer is no bud. I will be waiting for a response from the first sentence if you have one.

You're asking a hypothetical question, so I'll give you a hypothetical answer.

If the farang working without a permit, or selling things near me was obnoxious, loud, or disturbing my life in some way, then yes, I'd grass him.

If he was no problem for me, I wouldn't become a problem for him.

Smack dab in the middle of it, towards the north side. If you are on Rt 107, you pass through it, with vendors on both sides.

Are you saying it is in the middle of the road or the old city?

The road toward Mae Rim (107) starts at Chang Phueak Gate (north of the old city) and must go on for a couple hundred kilo meters.

As I prefer to go by bicycle and am in the Changklan area, I would like to know if the distance to the market is 10 or 100 kilo meters, as the latter is less feasible on a bicycle.

Are you saying it is in the middle of the road or the old city?

The road toward Mae Rim (107) starts at Chang Phueak Gate (north of the old city) and must go on for a couple hundred kilo meters.

As I prefer to go by bicycle and am in the Changklan area, I would like to know if the distance to the market is 10 or 100 kilo meters, as the latter is less feasible on a bicycle.

Sorry, I miss-read your post. It is in the town of Chang Dao

The market is exactly 71 kilometers north from the intersection of the Superhighway and Chang Phueak (Chottana?) Road, in the middle of the town of Chiang Dao.

If you plan on using your bicycle to get there, please remember that it starts to shut down after lunch, so you might want to start off around 4am to get there on time.

Edited by FolkGuitar

No-one likes a snitch.

The market is exactly 71 kilometers north from the intersection of the Superhighway and Chang Phueak (Chottana?) Road, in the middle of the town of Chiang Dao.

If you plan on using your bicycle to get there, please remember that it starts to shut down after lunch, so you might want to start off around 4am to get there on time.

70Km is about 2-4 hours on a decent bicycle, depending on uphill stretches.

(I cycle from Maya to Wat Doi Suthep and back, total 28Km in 1hr 10 minutes)

Edited by MaeJoMTB

70Km is about 2-4 hours on a decent bicycle, depending on uphill stretches.

(I cycle from Maya to Wat Doi Suthep and back, total 28Km in 1hr 10 minutes)

Perfect! 8am is a great time to get to the market! It's at his best early in the morning, winding down by lunchtime.

I believe this is simply the weekly market (talat nat) in Chiang Dao and not some special "hilltribe" market. But because many, if not a a majority of villages surrounding the town are minority highland villages, many of the buyers, and some local sellers, are hill folks. A similar smaller weekly market exists north of Thaton across from Laota's coffee shop. And similar markets exist in other towns such as Khun Yuam where too the majority in the surrounding region are also hill folks. I remember my first visit to the north decades ago and taking the bus up to Thaton and it stopped in the center of Chiang Dao at the fresh market for a break. It was my first encounter with highland folks and I was, in one vernacular, gobsmacked.

Perhaps you haven't been there recently. There is now PLENTY of car parking (for 5 baht smile.png ) on the left side towards the north end of the market. They are parking cars in the new bus station parking area, so no need to park on the street all the way at the end any longer.

And yes, the German man and his Thai partner are still there selling bread and bakery items, and they are better than ever!! They sell on the right side of the road near the southern end of the market.

Yes been there recently and that's where we park.Last time we got there late and there was not PLENTY of parking for cars it was nearly full hence gettingthere early is advisable. Actually we often stay at a nearby resort the night before and come back loaded with fruit and veges, far cheaper and than CM.

Sorry now that I mentioned the young German guy selling his bakery items. Some posters here never fail to amaze me, one guy selling a small amount of

product is obviously endangering the whole local industry.

Sorry now that I mentioned the young German guy selling his bakery items. Some posters here never fail to amaze me, one guy selling a small amount of

product is obviously endangering the whole local industry.

I doubt that will be a problem. He's had a very successful and very visible business in Chiang Dao for many years. You can't get away with that in a small community without having the proper credentials.

All your comments did was uncover a ugly, nasty little person who hates the world around him.

I believe this is simply the weekly market (talat nat) in Chiang Dao and not some special "hilltribe" market. But because many, if not a a majority of villages surrounding the town are minority highland villages, many of the buyers, and some local sellers, are hill folks. A similar smaller weekly market exists north of Thaton across from Laota's coffee shop. And similar markets exist in other towns such as Khun Yuam where too the majority in the surrounding region are also hill folks. I remember my first visit to the north decades ago and taking the bus up to Thaton and it stopped in the center of Chiang Dao at the fresh market for a break. It was my first encounter with highland folks and I was, in one vernacular, gobsmacked.

Your observations about hilltribe markets are interesting and similar to what I saw when travelling up to Chiang Dao and Fang in the late 1970s.

A book that you may be familiar with is W.Somerset Maugham's A Gentleman in the Parlour, about his overland trip in the early 1920s from the Burmese Shan States to the railhead in Chiang Mai. It provides a detailed description of the market in Keng Tung. At that time, possibly the biggest in the Shan States, Lanna T'ai, and the mountainous border regions of China.

It gives a good idea of how these "Hilltribe" markets have developed on their own without any promotion from TAT or other government agencies that always seem to turn local events into cheesy tourist attractions.