Need som advice about "Silent treatment" from Thai lady

carpediem86

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buy a copy of the book Thailand Fever, then scan the book until you find relevant information pertaining to "The Silence". After you grasp the cultural background, then find the corresponding section about how farang deal with problems.

Basically we get angry, blow off steam, and it's over and done with;

Thais get angry, brood, and either get over it, or they don't and eventually 'explode'.

My wife is now more like a farang. She'll get angry, and instead of sitting on it in silence, she'll just blow off steam - but I usually have to start that process. It usually starts when I ask her, "What are you so pissed about...", and then she has permission, so to speak, to get angry and vocal. An hour or two later, we're all good. She also knows that when I 'go silent' to simply leave me alone. I 'go silent' when I have personal problems I'm trying to deal with, and I need quiet time. She understands that. Your wife may interpret that from a Thai perspective and assume you are angry at her. From our farang perspective, it's simply part of our independent nature to work alone to solve problems. If I go quiet, I'll eventual tell my wife why, and that I need 'my own space and some time for myself to think'. She understands. That's compromise.

You both need to come to grips with the differences of your respective cultures, and then talk and find ways to compromise and accept each other's cultural oddities.

Compromise is the key word.

Best of luck/Chokdii

Edited by connda

don't put up with her crap finish with her go and find a women that likes you and treats you with respect that you want and need

Tell her that you find her "silent treatment" days very difficult to understand-ask her if you have offended her in any way to cause this,if she does not want or does not give you a suitable answer tell her that you are NOT prepared to spend the rest of your life in a relationship as this.Believe me if you put up with this now there will be much more to come in the future.Plenty of ladies out there looking for decent guys-seems like yours wants a doormat. sad.png

Whenever mine plays games,

I grab her and shag her, that usually puts an end to the silliness.

If that doesn't work, I go out to a bar or gogo, get drunk then grab one of the girls and shag her.

Makes me feel better every time!

Maybe if you made love to yours more often she wouldn,t "play games".............shagging is for self satisfaction rolleyes.gif

Buy a copy of the book Thailand Fever, then scan the book until you find relevant information pertaining to "The Silence". After you grasp the cultural background, then find the corresponding section about how farang deal with problems.

Basically we get angry, blow off steam, and it's over and done with;

Thais get angry, brood, and either get over it, or they don't and eventually 'explode'.

My wife is now more like a farang. She'll get angry, and instead of sitting on it in silence, she'll just blow off steam - but I usually have to start that process. It usually starts when I ask her, "What are you so pissed about...", and then she has permission, so to speak, to get angry and vocal. An hour or two later, we're all good. She also knows that when I 'go silent' to simply leave me alone. I 'go silent' when I have personal problems I'm trying to deal with, and I need quiet time. She understands that. Your wife may interpret that from a Thai perspective and assume you are angry at her. From our farang perspective, it's simply part of our independent nature to work alone to solve problems. If I go quiet, I'll eventual tell my wife why, and that I need 'my own space and some time for myself to think'. She understands. That's compromise.

You both need to come to grips with the differences of your respective cultures, and then talk and find ways to compromise and accept each other's cultural oddities.

Compromise is the key word.

Best of luck/Chokdii

A really good book! I read it before we even met in person, because I knew we would have big cultural differences so I thought that would be a good start. She already knew a lot about western culture and European culture, but I marked all pages where I had some questions and asked her about it. So she read those chapters only.

My five cent. We are basically done when we reach five to six years of age. As we grow older we polish the egdes and, in most cases, become more mature. To ask an adult to change his/her personality is virtually impossible. May Western women fail to understand that, and this is, I mean, one of the most common reason for divorses among Westernes.

When we meet a new partner we will soon realise the that person has many positive side, and that is why we became interested in the first place. But, we will also discover sides that we may not like very much. Keeping in mind that those so-called 'negative sides' will allways be there, one must ask oneself whether one can live with them or not. If the answer is no, then the only sensible choise is to break up and look elsewhere as the relation is doomed to fail.

You gave me some food for thought there – worth more than 5 cents.

Buy a stash of inexpensive but nice jewelry. silver, onyx etc give her a bracelet, ear rings, necklace, matching sets but one item at a time. Silver charm bracelet one charm at a time. Not so much money but it'll lighten her mood. Don't discuss her silence just break the pattern of her thoughts.

She is "kee noi jai", easily hurt and passive-aggressive. She knows no other way to deal with problems. If you find it tolerable, keep on. Otherwise, easy for any of us to say, but really, RUN.

ThaKnave, you've hit the nail on the head. Many (most) Thai woman are like this. ขี้น้อยใจ (kee noi jai) - easily upset or offended. They are brought up never to question authority (/parents) or complain. It's part of Thai culture for women (especially) to suffer in silence and basically follow orders and perform their duties without question.

So you are benefiting in one sense: she has been programmed to be a dutiful and docile wife. This is a bit of an over-simplification and of course there are women who rebel against this (and probably why they prefer a farang boyfriend who might not treat them in a domineering way as a Thai man).

But you have to deal with the consequences of this programming, which is that she will not explain why she is upset or offended. It may not be something you did or anything about you or your behavior: it may be some problem she is having with her family or a friend or at work. Whatever it is, she will be loath to talk about it.

There really is no way to deal with this, other than to ignore it and wait for her to get over whatever it is. She will never tell you what is bothering her. If it's something about you that she dislikes then she will simply shut herself off for a few days or a week and then somehow manage to 'grin and bear it' by forgiving you temporarily. She may consider leaving you if it's something that really disturbs her. But most of the time, she will stay, even if she's unhappy. Breaking off the relationship is a failure and loss of face on her part. If there is enough about you (and the arrangement of living together) that appeals to her then she will be loving and forgiving as much as she can. And then retreat into herself when she can't stand it anymore.

It's complicated and I don't pretend to understand it. You can't undo aeons of social programming. So - as TheKnave says - either accept it and live with it, or go find someone else (preferably not Thai because it'll be more of the same, regardless who you go out with).

At least she is not a typical bar girl/massage girl that the MAJORITY of foreigners date and marry. Sounds like your a little smarter and not a total loser/boozer like the MAJORITY of foreigners that move here are. Give her a chance to sort things out . But my advice is not to marry her for at least a year whether mom likes it or not. Your still young take your time..

At least she is not a typical bar girl/massage girl that the MAJORITY of foreigners date and marry. Sounds like your a little smarter and not a total loser/boozer like the MAJORITY of foreigners that move here are. Give her a chance to sort things out . But my advice is not to marry her for at least a year whether mom likes it or not. Your still young take your time..

You are projecting a very jaundiced view of "Foreigners" which is probably based on personal experience.

Are you acquainted with the "Majority" of foreigners who would not share your opinion(s) ?

Slowly, slowly - don't force the issue.

Yeah this could be a good idea. We have already talked about it a bit before because it makes me feel really bad so I had to try. That didn't help, specially the first time since I tried to talk about it while she was in this mood. And it just made her feel worse and she stayed like this longer, and the first time it happened we where not in the same country so I wrote in text chat. Bad idea. After that I have been much more careful about any problems or ideas to make our situation better. I will try to talk about it the most sensitive way possible, but still I feel the need to bring it up somehow.

Remember.

It is very difficult to walk on eggshells without causing damage.

Maybe work related....where does she work???

Sounds like she is playing head and heart games with you as I'm sure she knows how much you care about her Happiness..

Just wondering is she silent in bed as well during these silent periods?? Still Hab Boom Boom?

If she not let you play in bed more of a problem than just o moody immature thai girl..

Good luck hope all turns out well for you

Actually that is a very common trait or better yet a common Thai female idiosyncrasy and one of their major character faults and reasons I never seriously entertained the idea of having a steady Thai GF or marrying a Thai woman.

I noticed that all of them have a degree of moodiness ranging from mood swings occurring all too often onwards to bouts of moodiness that change from hour to hour...seriously.

To make matters worse I came to realize that they all feel entitled to be moody and openly display their moodiness regardless if it effects other people and especially you, being their Lover or BF or Husband, while they mistakenly believe you should know why they are moody and never have to ask ...rather you are required to understand their moodiness and the reasons for it and tip toe around their mood swings and cater to their moodiness to their satisfaction....or..... it makes them more moody.

It is child like behavior ..but it is part of the Thai female personality and it will grate on your nerves if you so happen to have a Thai Girl or Thai Woman that openly displays her moodiness while the silent treatment is just one of the many aspects of a Thai Woman's moodiness.

Now having said all that....If it happens once in a while during a month or once a month you may clue in and finally realize it is her time of the month and she is suffering her time of the month....so take note of when exactly she has her time of the month and try to comfort her ( up to you ) while understanding her moodiness would be or could be because of that time of the month for her.

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

This lady has many men

you are just one

she is worried other boyfriend will find out about you

maybe mix western/thai man

In Nong Han, near Udon Thani, there is a town with

big houses all built with Swiss money, nick name

Swiss Town, but no Swiss man there, you are next.

I really love her, and she me.

RUBBISH-NO

Thai people don't,,love,, they take care, how many times you

say to her do you love me? did she say to you NO?

Try to look in her phone, how many foreign numbers?