Wiring Money From Chiang Mai

minty

I need to get $800 dollars from my Bangkok Bank account into my U.S. account. Is Western Union the only way?

If anyone can give directions to Western union in Chiang Mai I'd be so thankful. I don't know the city that well as I live 27 kilometers north.

SWIFT (bank account transfer) is an another option. Your bank can give you details.

In the US, they don't use SWIFT . They use NBA (National Banking Association).. The money is normally transfered by New York Bank to your local bank.. I think it is the easiest way to send money

I wonder about setting up paypal accounts in both directions to transfer funds back and forth?
Yes, but it can be very tricky and expensive using paypal to do this, in my experience with them.. Edited by Ajarn

SWIFT (bank account transfer) is an another option. Your bank can give you details.

In the US, they don't use SWIFT . They use NBA (National Banking Association).. The money is normally transfered by New York Bank to your local bank.. I think it is the easiest way to send money

I wonder about setting up paypal accounts in both directions to transfer funds back and forth?
Yes, but it can be very tricky and expensive using paypal to do this, in my experience with them..

Bangkok Bank can wire money to your bank in the states for a minimal charge. Less than the price for sending from abroad to here.

I need to get $800 dollars from my Bangkok Bank account into my U.S. account. Is Western Union the only way?

If anyone can give directions to Western union in Chiang Mai I'd be so thankful. I don't know the city that well as I live 27 kilometers north.

Bangkok Bank will transfer money for you very easily - just ask to transfer the funds via TT (Telegraphic Transfer) don't get caught up in the various terminlogy of SWIFT or IBAN etc etc but do make sure that you have all of your receiving bank's details, it would be best to ask them for all of the details required for making an international transfer TO them. It is cheap and easy and should only take about 3 days to arrive.

Western Union is expensive, transfers out of Thailand are cheaper than transfers into the country.

JxP

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks so much for your suggestions. As it turned out, some friends were going back to the states unexpectedly and I gave them a check to deposit. But in the future I will use Bangkok Bank to transfer money...

As an aside, I just saw a Western Union office in Robinson's department store, airport plaza.

Any ideas on sending money from Thailand to a Chinese national or his bank a/c in China ?

P.S. Our bank here is Bangkok bank.

P.P.S. Have HSBC a/c but it only allows RMB to be sent to an account in your own name in China. (Perhaps other currency can be sent - must check that out.)

Anyway, if anyone has sent money from Thailand to China, I'd be interested in knowing how.

(I am going to repeat this post in the General section, if moderators will be so kind as to allow, as part of the OP's question and mine are not particular to CM.)

Edited by katnip