Have you downloaded the Windows 10 installer yet? No! Are your sure?

thaimite

The link in your post is bad...takes you to the ThaiVisa post a new topic page.

Sorry about that. I hope this link works

MICROSOFT HAS CONFIRMED that Windows 10 is being downloaded to computers whether or not users have opted in.

An INQUIRER reader pointed out to us that, despite not having 'reserved' a copy of Windows 10, he had found that the ~BT folder, which has been the home of images of the new operating system since before rollout began, had appeared on his system. He had no plans to upgrade and had not put in a reservation request.

He told us: "The symptoms are repeated failed 'Upgrade to Windows 10' in the WU update history and a huge 3.5GB to 6GB hidden folder labelled '$Windows.~BT'

I would avoid Windows 10, I find it worse than Windows 7.

I am having to convert my PCs back to Win7 and if you don't do this within 30 days, it means re-installing the whole PC.

Well it wouldn't, if you made an image BEFORE doing the update.

I am having to convert my PCs back to Win7 and if you don't do this within 30 days, it means re-installing the whole PC.

Well it wouldn't, if you made an image BEFORE doing the update.

...or renamed the C:\Windows.old and $Windows.BT temp directories containing your previous OS rollback.

How to rollback Windows 10 after 30 days limit

theWindowsClub | Anand Khanse | 20 Aug 2015

Preferable to image the drive, or active boot/OS partitions. At least then you know a recovery should work.

Also, once you've successfully "upgraded" to Windows 10, the Microsoft Auth servers will preserve your Windows 10 activation for the life of that hardware, allowing you to reinstall Windows 10 again on that hardware anytime in the future.

I hate to sound paranoid, but I am very careful about not downloading free programs, going to questionable sites, etc. My computer has never slowed down in the three and a half years I have had it (with WIN 7). My Win 7 is fully licensed and I get all the security updates. Suddenly, since around the time of the announcement of the "free" Win 10, my computer boot-up and ther things have slowed way down. It has even completely locked up several times, requiring a hard reboot. It never locked up even once before the slow down started. Coincidence? Has anybody else experienced this?

I hate to sound paranoid, but I am very careful about not downloading free programs, going to questionable sites, etc. My computer has never slowed down in the three and a half years I have had it (with WIN 7). My Win 7 is fully licensed and I get all the security updates. Suddenly, since around the time of the announcement of the "free" Win 10, my computer boot-up and ther things have slowed way down. It has even completely locked up several times, requiring a hard reboot. It never locked up even once before the slow down started. Coincidence? Has anybody else experienced this?

Yep... I have been on holidays for the past 4 weeks, so after installing all the latest Windows and AV updates this morning, my Win7 PC is running like a dog... bah.gif

My Windows 10 machine is running like a dog. It's getting about 15Mbps down while the Win 7 desktop on my other desk in this room is getting 57 down. The desktop is wireless with a PCI wireless NIC. This is in the same room with the Cisco wireless router in the room.

I went into device manager and tweaked the settings and sped it up from about 10 to 15 but I have 50+ available. My suspicion (confirmed at the manufacturer's website) is that there is no Win 10 driver for the wireless NIC so I ordered a fast USB NIC with a Win 10 driver and I'll try that instead. I hate to have a USB NIC hanging out of my laptop, though.

Google Chrome and Firefox are both slow and sometimes crash. They lock up. I never had these problems with 7, 8, or 8.1.

I just ordered a new laptop with 10 factory installed and I hope it's better. If it isn't it's going back. I'm usually not a complainer and try to be a problem solver but I've really struggled with this Win 8.1 - Win 10 upgrade and I'm thinking of reverting with an image I made just before the upgrade. At this point I'll also have to install some backups and tweak some things because changes are always happening.

Cheers.

Edited by NeverSure

Same happened to me when I "upgraded my notebook to 10. But there's something not okay and it wasn't successful.

Only with my backup, made with Acronis, I could get my system back where it was. Using a Acronis boot able CD.

All I've learned day by day, week by week, year by tear. Back up, back up and back up.

My Windows 10 machine is running like a dog. It's getting about 15Mbps down while the Win 7 desktop on my other desk in this room is getting 57 down. The desktop is wireless with a PCI wireless NIC. This is in the same room with the Cisco wireless router in the room.

I went into device manager and tweaked the settings and sped it up from about 10 to 15 but I have 50+ available. My suspicion (confirmed at the manufacturer's website) is that there is no Win 10 driver for the wireless NIC so I ordered a fast USB NIC with a Win 10 driver and I'll try that instead. I hate to have a USB NIC hanging out of my laptop, though.

Google Chrome and Firefox are both slow and sometimes crash. They lock up. I never had these problems with 7, 8, or 8.1.

I just ordered a new laptop with 10 factory installed and I hope it's better. If it isn't it's going back. I'm usually not a complainer and try to be a problem solver but I've really struggled with this Win 8.1 - Win 10 upgrade and I'm thinking of reverting with an image I made just before the upgrade. At this point I'll also have to install some backups and tweak some things because changes are always happening.

Cheers.

I run W 10 on my PC at home and on one school computer. I've just bought a second hand PC, older model, but a great machine to use it at school in my free time. Bought it for 1,500 baht, put a new hard drive for 2 K in, added 2 GB of DDR RAM ( 830 baht at Advice) and the machine is really amazingly fast.

Oh and a 1 GB graphic card i already had at home was very helpful.

I've got the same problem, a much higher download speed with Windows 7.

There's no reason to try Windows 10 on this well functioning machine.

But I'll not put Windows 10 on this machine, as too many programs aren't compatible with Windows 10.

A lot of weird things happened during my Windows 10 upgrades. I received a message that I'd lose my language packs on my PC at home, but I didn't. Then at my notebook, I couldn't roll back to the old system and that goes on and on.

Edited by lostinisaan

My Windows 10 machine is running like a dog. It's getting about 15Mbps down while the Win 7 desktop on my other desk in this room is getting 57 down.

My suspicion (confirmed at the manufacturer's website) is that there is no Win 10 driver for the wireless NIC

I would think a 'real diagnostics test' would be to repeat your speed tests using the wired Ethernet interface.

Does Windows Device Manager indicate issues (yellow triangle) on any other sub-systems?

Does the laptop maker's support website (or user forum board) explicitly say the 8.1 drivers WON'T work, and have you tried installing them?

Also, many times you can go direct to the sub-component manufacturer and download drivers directly.